Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #2,627 of 3,454
These earphones are best listened to with your eyes closed. Doesn't work out too well for me as I've been listening to them a lot while running, biking(even in this slick, nasty weather!), working out, and at work where objects can routinely be found to be whizzing past my head. But the imaging is just soooo good. You close your eyes and the Rockets go to work painting a pretty vivid sonic picture.

The soundstage isn't terribly wide(about average, really), but it has great height, depth, and layering. So despite the somewhat average stage width, it still manages to sound very open and spacious, which is complemented by the excellent instrument separation.

In reading through this thread I've seen some people complain about the lack of subbass. And while it's true that there isn't a whole lot of emphasis placed on the lowest of lows, they're still there and aren't flat-out non-existent as some folks seem to have made it out to be. They're like the foundation to a building; below the surface but supporting the overall structure and contributing to the shape. This has only bugged me a couple of times, for instance when listening to this: 

I have to bend my ear a bit when listening for those deep bass notes with the Rockets, whereas something like the KEF M200 makes those acrobatic lines much more easily discernable and a treat to listen to.
ksc75smile.gif

But that's "drum and bass" music! "Bass" is in the friggin' name of the genre, for jimmeny christmas. I don't listen to stuff like that real often so whatevs.

I'm probably gonna sound crazy, but does anyone else ever feel like they can sometimes feel a vocalist's exhalations and whatnot? Not just hear it but feel it? At first I thought it was some weird kind of resonance but I don't think it is.
blink.gif

I continue to hear little details I've never before heard in music I've listened to tons of times.

Like in this track(don't judge me
redface.gif
), with the Rockets I noticed an echo-y effect to her vocals during the chorus that I'd never noticed before with anything else. Not even the ER4S.
eek.gif
 Not a big deal I suppose, I mean, that's just a tiny detail, but it's like I'm finding little easter eggs in my music, and that's pretty cool.

These are like the ER4 on steroids.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,629 of 3,454
I am hoping that some excitement will return once I finally get my Rockets (Blue TiN finish w/mic...still not shipping)
I have been very patient throughout, knowing that the delays have resulted in a better product.

But right now, I''m afraid my patience has pretty much turned into apathy.  
frown.gif

Oh well...shouldn't be too much longer now.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,630 of 3,454
  I am hoping that some excitement will return once I finally get my Rockets (Blue TiN finish w/mic...still not shipping)
I have been very patient throughout, knowing that the delays have resulted in a better product.

But right now, I''m afraid my patience has pretty much turned into apathy.  
frown.gif

Oh well...shouldn't be too much longer now.

Honestly, I think it will be. The Rockets are my end game IEM. I have yet to even glance into other IEM threads, because the Rockets are almost a mix of the best features of every IEM I've loved.

The only issue will be finding the proper fit, due to the heaviness of the cable and the tiny housings. I've taken to wearing them with reversed Comply foams (reversed, as in I put the front part on the nozzle).

I'll do a full review as soon as I get some time.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,631 of 3,454

Honestly, I think it will be. The Rockets are my end game IEM. I have yet to even glance into other IEM threads, because the Rockets are almost a mix of the best features of every IEM I've loved.

The only issue will be finding the proper fit, due to the heaviness of the cable and the tiny housings. I've taken to wearing them with reversed Comply foams (reversed, as in I put the front part on the nozzle).

im considering either this or Final Audio Heaven IV / V for my endgame IEM....
i don't know which one i should buy because the review on heaven IV and V is a little scarce...

all i know is that i want an IEM that can do vocal justice, and my research came up to FA heaven or Rockets.

though to be honest, i feel a little iffy owning something called heaven... it's a little too out there for me, possessing something called heaven.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2,633 of 3,454

Thanks for that comment ^.   Apathy diminishing and now impatience ramping up!

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,637 of 3,454
  eke262, did you try the 1plus? :wink:

I haven't, but a couple of trusted ears have told me that the 1plus, while having a larger stage, doesn't quite carry over the magic of the Rockets' mids.

I was going to save this for the review, but I decided to test the Rockets with some Jazz. I fired up Miles Davis' "So What", and I couldn't pick my jaw up from the floor the entire time. The horns! The cymbals! The snap of the snare! The kick drums!

I haven't heard a snare drum this good since the GR07. Then don't get me started on the dynamic range of these things, which allows them to go from subdued to EXPLOSIVE in a split second.

Hopefully I'll be able to write up a review after the Monday of Doom that fast approaches, where I have three exams on one day (Hematology, Osteology, and Neuropsychiatry).

Thanks for that comment ^.   Apathy diminishing and now impatience ramping up!

In my opinion, these things are well worth the wait. Hopefully your pair gets sorted soon.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #2,638 of 3,454
I haven't, but a couple of trusted ears have told me that the 1plus, while having a larger stage, doesn't quite carry over the magic of the Rockets' mids.

I was going to save this for the review, but I decided to test the Rockets with some Jazz. I fired up Miles Davis' "So What", and I couldn't pick my jaw up from the floor the entire time. The horns! The cymbals! The snap of the snare! The kick drums!

I haven't heard a snare drum this good since the GR07. Then don't get me started on the dynamic range of these things, which allows them to go from subdued to EXPLOSIVE in a split second.

Hopefully I'll be able to write up a review after the Monday of Doom that fast approaches, where I have three exams on one day (Hematology, Osteology, and Neuropsychiatry).

In my opinion, these things are well worth the wait. Hopefully your pair gets sorted soon.

Think you're gonna have to get your ears on a Supra one of these days bro. Rockets and Supra are probably all any sane person would ever need

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,639 of 3,454

That's what they all say. 
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2,640 of 3,454

Well.... the more active a thread is, the more number of head-fi-ers on that thread, and there'll be more opinions and recent impressions on the thread too.
I said....... amongst the $250 iems why is rockets not more popular.... Why aren't there more people using this in comparison to the alternatives...?
I wasn't exactly checking this thread for the hype. or at all.

i'm checking this thread for the users as i want to read recent impressions as to why people choose rockets compared to other ~$250 alternatives...

I know I should drop this, but I just want to clarify what I was trying to say.

I know that your question was "why don't the rockets have much popularity?"

The reason, like I stated before, was because of the alternatives. The Ostry, Havi, TTpod, and even Vsonics have cheaper priced in-ears that are preventing the rockets from being purchased by other people. They are more popular and have more of a following, especially the havis. Other companies like audio technica and Sony already have a good amount of followers to help those products gain enough popularity to overwhelm the rockets. Hype threads are also taking attention away from other products, which would not help companies like aurisonics or thinksound gain popularity.

I know you don't care about the hype, but I'm saying that these in-ears are the reason (at least from my perspective) as to why in-ears like the Aurisonics aren't getting any attention.

If my answer is still unsatisfactory, then I'm only going to apologize. I only know from experience that some audio products do not gain as much attention or popularity because of what I mentioned above. Sometimes, the more expensive offerings also make people feel disheartened as other products (i.e. sony, audio technica) for their lackluster performance at the same price tag or more (since I was ddisappointed at the sony h3's price for what the sound offered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back