Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,026 of 3,454
I thought fellow Rocket admirers might be interested in this post from the EarWerkz thread: 

Quote:
  Looks like it will be another couple of weeks before the Kickstarter campaign starts for the universal EP-2.  The prototype makes me think of a really small version of a custom; maybe a half custom looking shell. It doesn't fill up the outer ear like a full custom. The smallish size should accommodate a wider size of ears and I found them very comfortable.  The nozzle will have good length to hold tips with a Comply T400 bore size.

I got to do a little a/b with the EP-2 and the Aurisonics Rockets.  The Rockets are a very nice neutral and midcentric sig from a 5.1mm dynamic driver.  The EP-2, a dual BA, has similar levels of bass, less intimate mids in direct comparison, with a brighter, airier treble. The EP-2 just sounds much more open and really airy with an even more neutral frequency response to me.  I think Rocket lovers would also love the EP-2 signature and presentation as compliment IEM.  

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2,027 of 3,454
I thought fellow Rocket admirers might be interested in this post from the EarWerkz thread: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks like it will be another couple of weeks before the Kickstarter campaign starts for the universal EP-2.  The prototype makes me think of a really small version of a custom; maybe a half custom looking shell. It doesn't fill up the outer ear like a full custom. The smallish size should accommodate a wider size of ears and I found them very comfortable.  The nozzle will have good length to hold tips with a Comply T400 bore size.

I got to do a little a/b with the EP-2 and the Aurisonics Rockets.  The Rockets are a very nice neutral and midcentric sig from a 5.1mm dynamic driver.  The EP-2, a dual BA, has similar levels of bass, less intimate mids in direct comparison, with a brighter, airier treble. The EP-2 just sounds much more open and really airy with an even more neutral frequency response to me.  I think Rocket lovers would also love the EP-2 signature and presentation as compliment IEM.  

Thanks for that. I'm not sure what to make of it. I really like my mids front and center, which the Rockets do very well. What you describe actually sounds like how I remember the UERM, perhaps with more bass on the EP-2?

Also the Rockets' treble is pretty much perfect with my fit. Any brighter and it would be out of neutral territory IMO. But again that's only with my particular fit, and I know that others have had different impressions of the Rockets treble.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,028 of 3,454
Thanks for that. I'm not sure what to make of it. I really like my mids front and center, which the Rockets do very well. What you describe actually sounds like how I remember the UERM, perhaps with more bass on the EP-2?

Also the Rockets' treble is pretty much perfect with my fit. Any brighter and it would be out of neutral territory IMO. But again that's only with my particular fit, and I know that others have had different impressions of the Rockets treble.

The EP-2 is very reminiscent of the UERM sig.  Definitely similar bass levels to the Rocket.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #2,029 of 3,454
Hmmm looks like I'll pass then if the sig is redundant. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,032 of 3,454
Further impressions:

The bass has filled out nicely. Very textured and rich. Not the deepest-reacher here, but I've yet to feel wanting. Mids are as musical and full as they were initially. Quite good! Treble has also become fuller and more detailed. Not too aggressive or strident at all, just very clear. 

Loving the Rockets with my RBed iPod 5.5 This gym rig lets me rest at ease since I can do everything short of throw these guys in a furnace and they'll be ok!

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,033 of 3,454
  5th of November and no email or earphones. Anyone else still waiting?

Yep.  #842, black cable, grey TiN, no extras.  Number #841 with the same colours got his over two weeks ago, and I'm still waiting.    That's the one thing that annoys me the most; I understand problems with product, and I have no problem waiting, but at least keep us up to date.  Don't wait until the deadline passes, THEN tell us "Oh, yeah, something happened."  Yeah, kind of figured that.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,036 of 3,454
Bout time! Was wondering when it'd finally reach you

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #2,037 of 3,454
Exciting times. And interesting watch.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2,038 of 3,454
  Bout time! Was wondering when it'd finally reach you

Exciting times. And interesting watch.

Thanks, guys! Yeah, what luck to score a genuine "Raketa" watch in the early backers raffle.
wink.gif

First thoughts:
  1. great build quality
  2. me likes the tips (easy and secure seal)
  3. microphonics (worn downwards) are not as bad as expected
  4. over-ear is easier than expected (looks a bit goofy though)
  5. sound signature is very polite and to my ears slightly mid-centric
  6. midrange timbre is outstanding and easily the star of the show
  7. soundstaging is surprisingly good
  8. out of the phones that come to mind, they remind me most of my filter-modded RE600

Thanks to everyone who made this tour possible, more impressions and comparisons to follow as time allows.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,039 of 3,454
Thanks, guys! Yeah, what luck to score a genuine "Raketa" watch in the early backers raffle. :wink:

First thoughts:
  • great build quality
  • me likes the tips (easy and secure seal)
  • microphonics (worn downwards) are not as bad as expected
  • over-ear is easier than expected (looks a bit goofy though)
  • sound signature is very polite and to my ears slightly mid-centric
  • midrange timbre is outstanding and easily the star of the show
  • soundstaging is surprisingly good
  • out of the phones that come to mind, they remind me most of my filter-modded RE600

Thanks to everyone who made this tour possible, more impressions and comparisons to follow as time allows. :smile_phones:

:D

I suspect the next set of impressions will talk about the surprising bass timbre, speed and note weight :p

Do play with the volume ever so slightly higher if you haven't already, it a unique earphone IMO in regard to how it reacts to adjustments in volume, in regard to imaging especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back