Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,996 of 3,454
I'm not that surprised some complain of sub bass, the driver is tiny so it likely won't have the authority of an average sized dynamic (like a BA). I'll see when I get my chance at these....

this is still my foremost complaint about the rockets , everything else sounds real good to my ear , I guess I will try them with amps when I have the chance instead of just the X5

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #1,997 of 3,454
You can only expect so much detail and bass from a driver that size. Its sound reminds me alot of ACST15, infact I have a pair of T15 somewhere in my room.....

Perhaps T15 is a little more cleaner on the midrange?

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,998 of 3,454
I'm not that surprised some complain of sub bass, the driver is tiny so it likely won't have the authority of an average sized dynamic (like a BA). I'll see when I get my chance at these....

I think you'll be surprised at how the bass in general has a very realistic "authority" for such a non-boosted response. And in that sense I think it's a very smart tuning for a possible physical limitation.

And I'm all about large size dynamic driver bass.

But dude, remember the Heaven V? Dat bass? Dat single BA bass? :p :smile:

You can only expect so much detail and bass from a driver that size. Its sound reminds me alot of ACST15, infact I have a pair of T15 somewhere in my room.....

Perhaps T15 is a little more cleaner on the midrange?

Why do you think that about detail?

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,999 of 3,454
  I didn't hear much extension in the sub-bass and treble region.

Compared to what?

I do hear extension in the sub-bass and treble region.  Perhaps you want/need more extension, which is fine,but your statement makes it sound like the Rockets  are not technically capable. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,000 of 3,454
I think you'll be surprised at how the bass in general has a very realistic "authority" for such a non-boosted response. And in that sense I think it's a very smart tuning for a possible physical limitation.

And I'm all about large size dynamic driver bass.

But dude, remember the Heaven V? Dat bass? Dat single BA bass? :p :smile:
Why do you think that about detail?

Totally agree. The bass response is really tactile. Paired with Cowon J3 the bass is utmostly impactful. I find the rockets synergise really well with J3.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,001 of 3,454

Compared to what?

I do hear extension in the sub-bass and treble region.  Perhaps you want/need more extension, which is fine,but your statement makes it sound like the Rockets  are not technically capable. 

Compared to my Tenore for example, which fared better in the sub-bass extension. Yes about the Tenore QC issues, guess I'm just lucky getting a pretty good pair for myself.

I did say the Rockets are pretty good, I like them a lot myself, and a total steal at Kickstarter pricing, but yes, they are what they are due to physical limitations and Dale has done a mighty fine job tuning them. 

I'm an Aurisonics fan myself, and I own ASG-1+ and owned ASG-2.5 and demoed the Rockets. If the Rockets satisfy my needs I'd just buy them instead and save myself some cash instead of going to the ASG series. But they are pretty sweet nonetheless, just that others suit me better

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,002 of 3,454
The bass extends to my ears to around 20Hz. The problem is roll off starts around 70Hz. So while the extension is there, it isn't powerful as some others. However it isn't like single BA where there is no bass sub 60Hz

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #2,003 of 3,454
Why does everyone use "Limit to Your Love" to test sub bass extension? I blame Eke for this, honestly :l 

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,004 of 3,454
  Why does everyone use "Limit to Your Love" to test sub bass extension? I blame Eke for this, honestly :l 

Haha
I have others but this is more universally known across the board, thanks to Eke 
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,005 of 3,454
So while the extension is there, it isn't powerful as some others.

Exactly.   So this is not a case of the Rockets not having any sub-bass...this is a case of the Rockets not having enough bass for some people. 

Sure, the Rocket has less sub-bass quantity than the Tenore...but it is incorrect to claim that the Rockets are bass-light because the Tenores have more bass.

This is like saying that a Mustang is not a fast car because it is unable to beat the Bugatti Veyron. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,006 of 3,454
The bass extends to my ears to around 20Hz. The problem is roll off starts around 70Hz. So while the extension is there, it isn't powerful as some others. However it isn't like single BA where there is no bass sub 60Hz

70hz? A bit high IMO. Maybe check seal? The sure seal tips can hold a deformation at a concave shape that will allow air in even if it feels sealed. :frowning2:

Maybe I just have a boosted sensitivity to lower frequencies...

LOL shakes fist at eke. Just run a sine sweep from like 10-40hz if you want to really test subbass "extension". Most IEMs these days will hit 40hz tbh at usable levels too. It's below that where it gets difficult.

That won't let you hear quality of bass really, nor speed, but for strictly extension, there's no better test.

What I would use limit to your love for testing is 30-60hz boost. That song gives me a headache with anything more than like 4-5db of boost in those frequencies, especially if there isn't an equivalent representation of midbass frequencies to smooth out the thump.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,007 of 3,454

Exactly.   So this is not a case of the Rocket nothaving any sub-bass...this is a case of the Rockets not having enough bass for some people. 

Sure, the Rocket has less sub-bass quantity than the Tenore...but it is incorrect to claim that the Rockets are bass-light because the Tenores have more bass.

This is like saying that a Mustang is not a fast car because it is unable to beat the Bugatti Veyron. 

Since when i said it is bass light or BA-like bass? Do refer to the right person before pointing your fingers. All I said is not much sub-bass extension. 
I'm sure you are very defensive over your new toy, but hey don't shoot anyone who just have a different opinion than you

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,008 of 3,454
Woohoo! Part of the Rocket club. I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this thought, but if I had to some up my first impression in a word, it would be "Grado."

Mid centric, punchy dynamic bass, and detailed treble. Ironically I've never heard the GR8 or GR10 to know how they compare, but I sure am enjoying the Rockets out of the RB'ed iPod with CF mod. Pretty sure this will be the end-game version of my gym/active rig.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,009 of 3,454
Yeah I always use tone gen to test for extension and dips/spikes and stuff. Kinda helps me to understand what I'm hearing in songs a little better. I notice the roll at about 45 Hz. or so on the Rockets, but it honestly isn't that big of a deal. FWIW, I too was surprised by its authority on some orchestral stuff. It's no FX850 in that regard, but the speed of the driver certainly helps as it didn't feel as limited as the Tenore when push came to shove. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2,010 of 3,454
  Since when i said it is bass light or BA-like bass? Do refer to the right person before pointing your fingers. All I said is not much sub-bass extension. 
I'm sure you are very defensive over your new toy, but hey don't shoot anyone who just have a different opinion than you

Calm down, Chucky.   How do you figure I'm pointing fingers at you?

I'm not defensive over my new toy...I'm defensive over people who review models (or give opinions) without being objective.  This is almost as bad as someone giving an opinion about a model that they have not heard.

Edit: You might have thought I was pointing my finger at you because I mentioned the Tenore in my post.  I mentioned the Tenore because it is often compared to the Rocket in this  thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back