Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #316 of 3,454

Koss tried something that's fully wireless without a cable, they are two earpieces...  They are capable of Hi-Fi stereo reproduction (work over WiFi, which is capable of that).  The thing is, they look a little weird on the ears.  Check out the Koss Striva Tap...  It doesn't look like they are in stock though :/ 

Wait what? I thought it wasn't poss--oh, I see. It isn't Bluetooth. But yes, that's what I'd like to have. Except, er, smaller. I don't think though would stay on during vigorous exercise.

Thank you for pointing it out to me! I didn't know something like this had already been realized. I'll look further into it. 
cool.gif

Now, I think you also want the BBX to be smaller as well, right, which is why you'd like a micro-driver to power it.  FYI, microdrivers are not new, MEElectronics used one in their CC51 a long while back, those were actually really good headphones IMO.  The thing that is making them large is the battery and electronics.  Right now, I do have a pair of MEE Metro which aren't bad by any means.  They use the same form factor as the Jaybirds.

The BBX doesn't really need to be smaller (I was already impressed at the size, considering it's rated for 8 hours of continuous play), but they could be better ergonomically.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #317 of 3,454

Wait what? I thought it wasn't poss--oh, I see. It isn't Bluetooth. But yes, that's what I'd like to have. Except, er, smaller. I don't think though would stay on during vigorous exercise.

Thank you for pointing it out to me! I didn't know something like this had already been realized. I'll look further into it. 
cool.gif

The BBX doesn't really need to be smaller (I was already impressed at the size, considering it's rated for 8 hours of continuous play), but they could be better ergonomically.

I'm just waiting for battery tech to improve so that can happen XD  I'd prefer the MEE to be smaller personally, they stick way out of my ears :p

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #318 of 3,454
  What I dream of, as a BT headset, is something like the BBX, but with removable cables (to be able to get exactly the length I want 

... because, for some reason, all those BT headsets have cables that are way too long.

That's the new Asus EB50N, but the BBX cable is just as uselessly long (though at least it has a system of clips to "reduce" the length). WHY??

I'm just waiting for battery tech to improve so that can happen XD  I'd prefer the MEE to be smaller personally, they stick way out of my ears :p

If I wear the BBX with the cable down, then the earpieces stick out like hell and the tips barely reach my ear canals. If I wear the BBX with the cable over my ears, then I'm fine; but then, my ear canals are large enough that the whole body of the BBX could get in, if not for the cable's stress relief.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #319 of 3,454
That's also not what I'm talking about XD.  The BT module would be completely separate from the headphones, your headphones don't plug into them, and don't need to.  Your headphones connect directly into the device.  The remote and mic would look similar to a standard 3-button remote and mic you'd find on a pair of headphones (your JayBirds' for example), and have a clip/notch on them (preferably two) and clip midway into the cable, or your shirt if you wanted to, but not connect to the headphones through any electrical circuit.  The audio would come out of the headphone jack (of your source, the BT module doesn't have a headphone jack), the BT module would request access to be a remote and an audio input device, not output.  All 4 devices you listed there request to be audio output and input.  The device wouldn't be able to stream music, just act as a remote and a mic. 

That was what was in my mind.  What you linked to are close to it, but not quite what I had in mind. 

Oooo me likes this idea... So simple and elegant.

And that would completely step around the problem of the need to have a DAC/Amp in the Bluetooth receiver.

Maybe 2 clips, detachable. One very padded one to clip onto the cable without damaging it, and another more grippy one to clip onto clothing.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #320 of 3,454
I really doubt the rockets reach $120,000 on kickstarter for us to even see what Aurisonics have in plan for the remote/mic. My hope is that they can go back to the drawing board and add iPhone/android mic/remote/volume function to a revised model down the road. If so, I hope they can give those who participated in the kickstarter a discount on the total cost.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #321 of 3,454

... because, for some reason, all those BT headsets have cables that are way too long.

That's the new Asus EB50N, but the BBX cable is just as uselessly long (though at least it has a system of clips to "reduce" the length). WHY??

If I wear the BBX with the cable down, then the earpieces stick out like hell and the tips barely reach my ear canals. If I wear the BBX with the cable over my ears, then I'm fine; but then, my ear canals are large enough that the whole body of the BBX could get in, if not for the cable's stress relief.

The strain relief stops me from being able to wear the MEE over ear :/  As for the length of the cable, it's mainly for people with long necks I guess :p 

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #322 of 3,454
I really doubt the rockets reach $120,000 on kickstarter for us to even see what Aurisonics have in plan for the remote/mic. My hope is that they can go back to the drawing board and add iPhone/android mic/remote/volume function to a revised model down the road. If so, I hope they can give those who participated in the kickstarter a discount on the total cost.
That's my concern too.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #323 of 3,454
That's my concern too.

If it's a separate remote and mic that I can use with any earphone or app and offer it regardless of stretch goal at $99, I'd at least think about it. A bit steep but the universal use is a feature. And the durability spec is great for peace of mind in less than ideal weather.

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #325 of 3,454
In that case, they could technically do an entirely separate product/reward (and maybe even a separate kickstarter project)? 

I had the same thought but we don't really know what it is yet...Though not being on the cable, being Bluetooth, and being pretty pricey seem to limit possibilities.

Speculation here, but maybe since it seems to be a mainly licensed tech inside, that it doesn't warrant that approach. Frankly, I'm surprised that idea hasn't been realized by some of the heavy hitters that I know of. Maybe I should get on that... Lol.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #326 of 3,454
  In that case, they could technically do an entirely separate product/reward (and maybe even a separate kickstarter project)? 

Yeah, I wonder if it could really hit $60k on its own though.  I guess it depends on how universal it is vs. how tied to rockets it will be.

Overall I have to say I am still super excited about rockets, but pretty bummed about the remote.  I got in early, so it's half the price of the rockets, and once it gets out in the wild it's going to turn them into $350 headphones, which will be a hard sell for my friends that I had thought would be the prime demographic for these.  Having said that, I'll probably be upping my pledge to get it if it's as slick as I am guessing Aurisonics will make it.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #327 of 3,454
  The strain relief stops me from being able to wear the MEE over ear :/  As for the length of the cable, it's mainly for people with long necks I guess :p 

But that's the thing: It is not neck-dependent, whether you wear it downward or over-ear. You could be a giraffe and it wouldn't make any difference. Only the size of the head can make a difference, and the cable is long enough to accommodate her:

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #328 of 3,454
Got a Kickstarter update email, looks like the mic cable is a no-go (link). Really wish there was a version that would have it, but I'm used to having to piece together other solutions for it at this point. C'est la vie. Looks like they've put in two stretch goals, one for a Titanium Nitride coating and another for an over-ear add-on. I'm baselessly assuming the over-ear doodad is the one SGS referred to in his impressions, and if that's the case, I'm definitely interested. 

Other random ideas for possible stretch goals (with the understanding that lots of these are pretty out there): 

1. Killer carrying case (possibilities: mil-spec, waterproof, cable wrap guide, carabiner, pouches/sections for other gear, etc). 
  2. Additional different tips, maybe an upgrade option for some kind of custom tip (if that even makes sense for such small IEMs). 
  3. Different/upgraded jack connector (45-degree angled plug would be pretty great IMO). 
  4. Color options (I personally don't care at all, but some might). 
  5. Custom inscription on housing (initials or something). Or maybe some kind of inscription/screen printing or customization option for a carrying case. 
  6. Different cable length options (might be wise given the apparent ability of these to withstand a direct nuclear attack, which presumably makes them difficult to modify). 
  7. Removable cable (I know this is almost certainly not gonna happen, but it's worth mentioning anyway). 
  8. Aurisonics t-shirt included with purchase, or a discount for one, or some other piece of AS gear that identifies us to rival gangs as enemies. 
  9. Upgraded cable materials/casings. As we don't currently know a whole heck of a lot about the cable, other than it's great, this is pretty hollow, but hey. 
  10. Invite for a tour of AS facility. (Saw a lot of other Kickstarter campaigns doing parties and whatnot, thought this might be neat). 
  11. Ear plugs based on Rockets design and dimensions. (I would actually LOVE this, personally). 
  12. "I Don't Care If You Honk, I Shove Rockets In My Ears" bumper sticker. 
  13. Song download made particularly for Rocket users. (Just based on all the pro-audio connections Dale and company have). Or sampler music or something.
  14. Discount coupon/code towards another AS product. (Towards impressions for custom-fit stuff, mayhaps?)
  15. Some kind of particularly awesome cable clip. Metal, maybe? 

Again, I'm not expecting any of this stuff, just had a few Terrapin Moo-Hoos (ludicrously tasty beer, btw) and some time to come up with silly ideas. Looking forward to however they turn out!

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #329 of 3,454
  Got a Kickstarter update email, looks like the mic cable is a no-go (link). Really wish there was a version that would have it, but I'm used to having to piece together other solutions for it at this point. C'est la vie. Looks like they've put in two stretch goals, one for a Titanium Nitride coating and another for an over-ear add-on. I'm baselessly assuming the over-ear doodad is the one SGS referred to in his impressions, and if that's the case, I'm definitely interested. 

Other random ideas for possible stretch goals (with the understanding that lots of these are pretty out there): 

1. Killer carrying case (possibilities: mil-spec, waterproof, cable wrap guide, carabiner, pouches/sections for other gear, etc). 

Could work, but it'd have to be better than all the cases I already own.

1. Additional different tips, maybe an upgrade option for some kind of custom tip (if that even makes sense for such small IEMs). 

Yeah. Bigger tips for people with big ear canals. If the current tips are made to fit "average ears," then they'll be too small for me, as usual.

Custom tips could work, too. I remember Aurisonics doing custom silicone tips, so they've got the technology. The small size of the rockets could allow for a flush fit -- NOT something like this:

1. Different/upgraded jack connector (45-degree angled plug would be pretty great IMO). 

I like 45-degree angled plugs, too. What's the current plug like?

1. Color options (I personally don't care at all, but some might). 

I wouldn't care about it either.

1. Custom inscription on housing (initials or something). Or maybe some kind of inscription/screen printing or customization option for a carrying case.

Customized housing would be cool, but probably more trouble that it would be worth. As for the customized carrying case, it depends on the carrying case.

1. Different cable length options (might be wise given the apparent ability of these to withstand a direct nuclear attack, which presumably makes them difficult to modify). 
  2. Removable cable (I know this is almost certainly not gonna happen, but it's worth mentioning anyway). 

I personally like very short cable. If they stop at the Y junction, I'm happy. I can easily plug a extension cord, but I can't make the existing cord shorter.

Removable cable won't happen this time, but could make the next Rocket more flexible as one could swap between different lengths of cable, or use a BT cable, etc.

1. Aurisonics t-shirt included with purchase, or a discount for one, or some other piece of AS gear that identifies us to rival gangs as enemies. 

I hate promotional T-shirts. But I know some people love them.

1. "I Don't Care If You Honk, I Shove Rockets In My Ears" bumper sticker. 

I don't have a car, and if I did, I'd like to keep it sticker-free, but that's still a very cool idea.

1. Song download made particularly for Rocket users. (Just based on all the pro-audio connections Dale and company have). Or sampler music or something.

Could be cool, if well done.

1. Invite for a tour of AS facility. (Saw a lot of other Kickstarter campaigns doing parties and whatnot, thought this might be neat). 

I live too far to be interested, but yeah, it could be neat. With a special guest, maybe?

1. Discount coupon/code towards another AS product. (Towards impressions for custom-fit stuff, mayhaps?)

Would work for me.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #330 of 3,454
Nice ideas! Looks like alcohol does in fact enhance creativity (until you've had too much... at least).

Other than the "upgraded materials and casings" part --- not sure how much better it can get without sacrificing usability --- the other ideas seem like good options for either stretch goals or mini-perks for minor $10-15 donations (which do in fact help the campaign if enough people put in the money).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back