Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #2,132 of 3,454
Grado SR80i or e. Senn HD25-1 would suit you as well

That certainly dovetails with what I've read. Unfortunately, I have never been a fan of the fit of supra-aural headphones. 
redface.gif
 Perhaps I should revisit/revise that policy, though.

Honestly, the HD600 is what comes to mind for me. Mid-centric, slightly anemic bass and soft treble. If I remember right though, you used to own them so maybe you have different thoughts about them than I do?

A case can certainly be made for the HD 600 as a full-size Rockets, but I would not be the one to make it. The HD 600 bears certain sonic similarities to the Rockets (which you've sensibly touched on), but is, to my ears, a much more laid back headphone. The HD 600 does not sound as "fast" as the Rockets. The mid-bass bump that is present in the HD 600, such an integral part of that headphone's overall sound, is absent, too. The HD 600 also tends to get a bit "shouty" in the upper mids, a quality which I do not detect in the Rockets. In fact, this latter difference makes the Rockets arguably more pleasant for long-term listening than the HD 600.

These are some of the more salient differences that jump out at me. To be clear, I'm pointedly not bagging on the HD 600. Rather, I'm merely observing that it sounds different enough from the Rockets that I'd be hesitant to advance them as directly comparable sonically.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,133 of 3,454

That certainly dovetails with what I've read. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the fit of supra-aural headphones. 
redface.gif

The HD25's signature sounds nothing like the Rockets to my ears.  

The MS2 and the Rockets are somewhat similar (the MS2's highs can be a little harsh at times though).   The Sony MDR-F1 is also similar...but that will do you no good since it is very hard to find an F1 in good condition.

The Rockets signature is very unique...it's going to be hard to find another headphone quite like it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #2,134 of 3,454

The HD25's signature sounds nothing like the Rockets to my ears.  

The MS2 and the Rockets are somewhat similar (the MS2's highs can be a little harsh at times though).   The Sony MDR-F1 is also similar...but that will do you no good since it is very hard to find an F1 in good condition.

The Rockets signature is very unique...it's going to be hard to find another headphone quite like it.

X2 on the MDR-F1. They're the only full-sized phones I listen to on a regular basis. Definitely similar, but the F1 being fully open, roll off earlier in bass. Funny you should mention them, and funny that I had the Rockets for a whole week and never came up with the idea to A/B them to the F1.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,135 of 3,454
Guys I'm looking for a black and gold pair of Rockets to buy or for trade. PM me if interested!

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,136 of 3,454
Guys I'm looking for a black and gold pair of Rockets to buy or for trade. PM me if interested!

Hmm.  You just gave me an idea.   I was going to sell my grey and black pair because I changed my mind and now want the white cable...but who knows how long it will be until I can actually buy a pair directly from Aurisonics...

So...

Guys, I'm looking to trade a grey with black cable for one with a white cable (the housing can be any color).   Let me know if anyone is interested.

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,137 of 3,454
I'd totally take you up on a trade were my pair not still touring :l 

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,138 of 3,454

X2 on the MDR-F1. They're the only full-sized phones I listen to on a regular basis. Definitely similar, but the F1 being fully open, roll off earlier in bass. Funny you should mention them, and funny that I had the Rockets for a whole week and never came up with the idea to A/B them to the F1.

I was thinking possible an AKG K501 would sound similar to these.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,139 of 3,454
I'd love to give these a try before I put the money down to purchase them. Is the tour pair still going around Europe or have I missed that bus? I'd love to give them a whirl with kpop to see how they do.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,140 of 3,454

Anyone who likes the F1 is alright in my book. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2,142 of 3,454

I was thinking possible an AKG K501 would sound similar to these.

Possibly, but I don't think I have heard these.

I'd love to give these a try before I put the money down to purchase them. Is the tour pair still going around Europe or have I missed that bus? I'd love to give them a whirl with kpop to see how they do.

PM @Idsynchrono_24. They're still in Europe, but I don't know if the tour is open to new participants.

Anyone who likes the F1 is alright in my book. 
beerchug.gif

What can I say, I'm a soundstage junkie and the F1's design makes them pretty amazing in that regard. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,143 of 3,454
Glad to know I'm good in elverguns book:blush: My pair has been rewired and resistors removed.

I have the Rockets on the way too.

Another F1 fan? 
beyersmile.png

I thought I was the last/only one who loved this model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back