Aurisonics AS/ASG-1 Plus Information and Discussions
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 364

HiFlight

Headphoneus Supremus
Aurisonics has introduced an updated version of the ASG-1, now called the ASG-1 Plus. This new version has a BA driver installed in addition to the 14.2 mm dynamic driver to add additional detail and resolution to the higher frequencies.

The original ASG-1 was received with less than market enthusiasm due to the very dark nature of the phone and highs that were sharply rolled off. Additionally, the shape of the housing resulted in numerous comments regarding comfort due to the shape of the inner housing. Subsequent updates to the original ASG-1 resulted in a more traditional SQ, but with treble detail still rather light. Comfort of fit was also improved due to minor changes in body shape.

The final evolution of the original 15 mm driver ASG-1 series was the ASG-1.3S, which was the "Signature Series". This latest version had a much improved frequency balance with hand-selected premium drivers. The Signature Series also included metallized faceplates and a highly polished body. This was actually a very nice sounding phone but due to the premium cost was not a major seller for Aurisonics.

With the introduction of the new ASG-2.5 IEM series, the new version of the ASG-1, called the ASG-1 Plus was also introduced with the addition of a single balanced armature driver to each phone. The overall tuning was markedly changed to a significantly more "neutral" SQ in comparison to the more bass-oriented previous versions.

I might here add some thoughts of my own, in that the term "Neutral" seems to bring to mind in many folks a sound quality that is rather lean, clinical and lacking in the "fun-factor". In the case of the 1 Plus, nothing could be further from the truth. I would rather call the sound "Natural" rather than neutral, as the 1 Plus sound signature has body, impact, plenty of bass rumble when asked and certain doesn't present in any way a boring SQ! Treble sparkle and detail is also very much improved over previous version. The improved treble information also greatly enhances the accuracy of imaging and soundstage.

In addition to a very natural and balanced tonal presentation, the vocal and instrumental timbre is amazingly lifelike. Overall, this is one of most realistic-sounding IEM's that I have owned and can, IMO, compete favorably with any top-tier IEM regardless of cost. The 1 Plus is also available as a custom for those preferring customs over universals. (AS-1 Plus)

When I was originally seeking user information, I found very little available, with most searches resulting in information about earlier versions.

I do believe that the introduction of the new ASG-2.5 has overshadowed the 1 Plus which seemingly has gotten lost in the process. As such, perhaps this thread can be a source of information and reviews of this latest offering from Aurisonics.

Below is information as published by Aurisonics regarding the new ASG-1 Plus:

The ASG-1PLUS has articulate highs and a rich and organic sound. The bass is responsive and engaging yet with a somewhat neutral tuning.

The open and dimensional imaging also makes music much more realistic.

A fantastic addition to the ASG line that complements the current ASG-1.5 and ASG-2.5 models.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Driver: Precision Dynamic 14.2mm + 1 custom-tuned, next generation tweeter

Frequency response: 8Hz – 25kHz

Impedance: 11 ohm +/- 10% @ 1kHz

Sensitivity: 120dB @1mW

Passive noise attenuation: NRR 24db

Construction: 3D printed, Digital Hybrid Technology (DHT)™ shell fits 95% of ears like a custom (Hybrid custom/universal fit derived from thousands of ears scanned… and counting).

Cable: Detachable silver-plated low oxygen copper cable

Colors: Polished Black

Warranty: 1-year

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 364
Reserved for updates and additional information

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 364
Subscribed! I would love to read more about this IEM, especially given the outstanding performance of Aurisonics' Rockets.

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 364
Subscribed! I would love to read more about this IEM, especially given the outstanding performance of Aurisonics' Rockets.

The ASG-1 Plus has a SQ that is closer to the Rockets than the 2.5. The mids are uncolored and natural as are those of the Rockets, but the bass goes deeper and hits much harder while still preserving that elusive perception of realism. (If bassheads like the 2.5's with open ports, I doubt that they would be happy with the 1 Plus.) Highs are smooth and extended and have the necessary sparkle for accuracy of snares, brushes on hi-hats, etc. Vocals, both male and female. are near flawless. The detail and resolution of the highs are noticeably better than previous versions of the ASG-1, even the Signature Series ASG-1S which I liked very much until I heard the 1 Plus.

Although Aurisonics describes the sound as a more neutral offering, this does not mean that the sound lacks punch, fullness and is an analytic and cool sound. I don't recall hearing an IEM that has a better overall tonal balance with natural warmth and body. IMO, they give true meaning to the overused and vague term "Musical".

Think "Real" and you will have a good idea of how they sound. I guess they could be called Rockets on steroids!

I have previously owned the ASG-1S, the ASG-2.5, spent time with the tour Rockets and most recently acquired the ASG-1 Plus as a replacement for my ASG-1S which suffered unrepairable damage. For my personal musical preferences, the 1 Plus is the best yet.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 364
The ASG-1 Plus has a SQ that is closer to the Rockets than the 2.5. The mids are uncolored and natural as are those of the Rockets, but the bass goes deeper and hits much harder while still preserving that elusive perception of realism. (If bassheads like the 2.5's with open ports, I doubt that they would be happy with the 1 Plus.) Highs are smooth and extended and have the necessary sparkle for accuracy of snares, brushes on hi-hats, etc. Vocals, both male and female. are near flawless. The detail and resolution of the highs are noticeably better than previous versions of the ASG-1, even the Signature Series ASG-1S which I liked very much until I heard the 1 Plus.

Although Aurisonics describes the sound as a more neutral offering, this does not mean that the sound lacks punch, fullness and is an analytic and cool sound. I don't recall hearing an IEM that has a better overall tonal balance with natural warmth and body. IMO, they give true meaning to the overused and vague term "Musical".

Think "Real" and you will have a good idea of how they sound. I guess they could be called Rockets on steroids!

I have previously owned the ASG-1S, the ASG-2.5, spent time with the tour Rockets and most recently acquired the ASG-1 Plus as a replacement for my ASG-1S which suffered unrepairable damage. For my personal musical preferences, the 1 Plus is the best yet.

As much as I love my ASG-2s I'm really curious about the 1Plus because of reports like that. I am seriously considering if they can do sort of a sidegrade for me. I love the sound of the rockets. And if the 1Plus is a more refined and upgraded version of that, then I'm sold. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 364
I'm a owner of the 2.5 but I'm very interested getting a pair of 1plus as on some recordings the bass of the 2.5 is too much for my liking. I have some rockets on loan at the moment, they are wonderfull sounding IEM but I some kind of miss the bass of the 2.5 time to time. The 1 plus might be right in the middle which is very good.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 364
Hi guys!

I have actually posted a review on the ASG1+ over in this link:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/aurisonics-asg-1plus/reviews/12130

I hope my impressions help answer some of your queries on how they sound. 
redface.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 364
Great review destrozer. Can you give us an idea of how the bass compares to other neutral-ish phones eg Noble 4, Fitear F111 or Westone 4, etc.
Also, how does it sound with rock music?

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 364
Great review destrozer. Can you give us an idea of how the bass compares to other neutral-ish phones eg Noble 4, Fitear F111 or Westone 4, etc.
Also, how does it sound with rock music?

I haven't heard the Westone 4s before and it's been a long time since I tried the Noble 4 on and an even longer time since I sold off my F111, so I don't really feel I can compare them.

BUT,

if i was to compare, I would say the bass quantity would be similar to a Noble 4 but with faster decay, hence a tighter sounding bass.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 364
Just got my 1 Plus today.... and am getting a feel for its sound. I immediately put on an upgrade cable I have around, and with that plus Ortofon tips, the soundstaging is insane! Initial impressions are that it's a fantastic phone which gives my Parterre a run for the money. Will update with more observations as I get more accustomed to the signature.

=======================

Edit-
Some early impressions even before the big dynamic driver has loosened up:

VS the 2.5
> Significantly more resolution through the mids, and up through treble.
> More appropriate treble brightness, and shimmer, without ever being harsh.
> Noticeably wider sense of space and openness, due to whatever it is in its tuning/driver combination (not sure if it's the driver, or tuning combined with the totally closed shell, or the lack of mid-bass compared to the 2.5, or a bit of all of that).
> Much more lifelike vocal weight, and tone.
> Better texture and weight to midrange (strings sound glorious on this phone).

VS the Parterre (closer run for the money between the two so far)
> Obvious taller sense to soundstage, with more of an enveloping sensation (Parterre's stage is more linear in nature).
> About equal treble extension 
> Ever so slightly less bass extension (maybe it's as low, but not quite as mid-bass oriented as the Parterre- not that the Parterre is horribly over the top with mid-bass by any means); but quicker, more taut and snappy.
> A touch smoother in nature, a bit easier to listen to than the Parterre.

I think it's crazy that this phone is playing in the same league as a $1K IEM... So far it seems to be the very definition of 'bang for the buck'.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 364
  Just got my 1 Plus today.... and am getting a feel for its sound. I immediately put on an upgrade cable I have around, and with that plus Ortofon tips, the soundstaging is insane! Initial impressions are that it's a fantastic phone which gives my Parterre a run for the money. Will update with more observations as I get more accustomed to the signature.

=======================

Edit-
Some early impressions even before the big dynamic driver has loosened up:

VS the 2.5
> Significantly more resolution through the mids, and up through treble.
> More appropriate treble brightness, and shimmer, without ever being harsh.
> Noticeably wider sense of space and openness, due to whatever it is in its tuning/driver combination (not sure if it's the driver, or tuning combined with the totally closed shell, or the lack of mid-bass compared to the 2.5, or a bit of all of that).
> Much more lifelike vocal weight, and tone.
> Better texture and weight to midrange (strings sound glorious on this phone).

VS the Parterre (closer run for the money between the two so far)
> Obvious taller sense to soundstage, with more of an enveloping sensation (Parterre's stage is more linear in nature).
> About equal treble extension 
> Ever so slightly less bass extension (maybe it's as low, but not quite as mid-bass oriented as the Parterre- not that the Parterre is horribly over the top with mid-bass by any means); but quicker, more taut and snappy.
> A touch smoother in nature, a bit easier to listen to than the Parterre.

I think it's crazy that this phone is playing in the same league as a $1K IEM... So far it seems to be the very definition of 'bang for the buck'.

Really great first impressions.

Am really surprised how the ASG1+ has not gained more attention yet. It is quite the amazing thing for it's price.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 364
2-3 weeks is what I was told as well. Bah lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back