AURALiC owners unite!
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #2,101 of 2,392
Ok, so why the hell is this amp softer with an XLR input? I'm using an LCD-X with a single-ended cable and have tried both inputs, changing the cables between the DAC and amp of course. There's a clear difference in how the bass hits. Would a balanced cable change that or are the reviewers right? What in the world is this about?

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,102 of 2,392
Ok, so why the hell is this amp softer with an XLR input? I'm using an LCD-X with a single-ended cable and have tried both inputs, changing the cables between the DAC and amp of course. There's a clear difference in how the bass hits. Would a balanced cable change that or are the reviewers right? What in the world is this about?

Ehr, it should be louder (and from memory, mine is). Just because the way XLR balanced audio works. Whats your source?

Or are you talking about how the music is rendered differently between balanced and unbalanced mode? That one is easier: in balanced mode you have higher voltage swings but lower current available. In unbalanced mode it's the other way around (see also: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-transparent-auralic-taurus-mkii)

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,103 of 2,392
It's not about loudness, it's about dynamism/how hard or strong the sound is. XLR is softer. Multiple reviews mention a difference. Of course balanced is louder. This amp appears to be an exception in the variation between RCA versus XLR to the point where you might not prefer balanced due to how the sound is affected.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,104 of 2,392
Jul 31, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #2,105 of 2,392
It's not about loudness, it's about dynamism/how hard or strong the sound is. XLR is softer. Multiple reviews mention a difference. Of course balanced is louder. This amp appears to be an exception in the variation between RCA versus XLR to the point where you might not prefer balanced due to how the sound is affected.

Totally agree with this. Even when volume matching there is a difference on the two outputs. Not entirely sure why, i know the OI is slightly different (>1 vs. 3ish iirc). Some have said balanced can reduce crossfade which is something i feel is plausible here. It's somewhat of a 1,5 amps in one the Taurus to my ears at least.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #2,107 of 2,392
These comments seem strange to me. I have hooked up my DAC to the Taurus with both balanced and unbalanced outputs in parralell, so I can directly toggle between the two inputs with 1 click on the amp, and it seems clear there are no discernible differences between balanced and unbalanced output, however all the sound different is between the balanced and unbalanced headphones output.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #2,109 of 2,392
The balanced headphone output has better soundstage and dynamics. I understand that there is a fully separate topography, and when I have a headphone plugged in balanced, I get the different sound signature if I choose unbalanced output option (it still produces the sound via the balanced output, but with different characteristic).

But when I switch between the different inputs, with the same output, I hear no difference.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #2,110 of 2,392
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #2,113 of 2,392
It would be helpful if you describe how you're listening exactly what is the source you're feeding into the amp and what kind of headphones are you listening to?

If this was aimed at me, then the chain goes: PC -> usb cable -> Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC -> balanced & unbalanced outputs -> cables -> Taurus -> HD800S / PM-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back