AURALiC owners unite!
May 7, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,071 of 2,392
Hi folks

I snagged a pre-owned Taurus MkII recently and am very happy with how it sounds. However, I noticed that there was s sound coming from within the case when I moved it, that suggested sonething was a wee bit loose in there. I then noticed that the large silver nut on the underside of the case was slightly loose. I finger-tightened the nut, which seemed to sort the problem.

I checked the user instructions and sesrched the Web but couldn’t find any information about the silver nut on the Taurus’s underside. Does anybody kniw what the function of this nut is and what it’s connected to inside the case?

Cheers!
Out of curiosity, what DAC do you have your MkII paired with?

May 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,072 of 2,392
" Hmmm....guess with a different DAC .... "

IMHO that hits the nail accurately on the head. In all the decades of messing around with digital (I'm 82YO now so have been at it awhile) the no.1 lesson I've learned is that the weakest link in the chain is the DAC. Those "subtle" variations audiophiles detect are more due to the DAC than any other one single component. My thinking FWIW, is that changing headphones or amplifiers is a waste of time, money and effort if the DAC is not up to scratch.

I am now listening to sublime classical music reproduction from FLAC files handled by Roon on this powerful W7 64 bit PC -> Auralic Aries bridge -> balanced digital out via Canare D206 cabling (and the quality of that cable IS important as it is an 8M long run) -> YGGDRASIL DAC -> Auralic Tauris MkII -> Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

And I have a pair of Focal Utopias but a visitor kindly damaged them by overloading them (he is a bit deaf and will not admit it) so they are currently back in France being repaired for God knows what cost. The Focals did sound a bit different but I would not swear they were "better" so will wait until they return to comment decisely on that. In the meantime I'm more than happy with the 800S as they are lighter and more comfortable anyway.

Bottom line from me is guys, stop wasting your money on lusting after other amps and headphones - fix the DAC first.
Are you enjoying your Yggy ->Taurus combo? Any problems? I've got a Gumby, and I had issues with the XLR from the Gumby going to the Taurus. Not sure which unit had the issue, but returned Taurus and got another coming soon.

May 7, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,073 of 2,392
Well actually I followed my own advice and replaced the Yoggy with a LKS DA-004, a less expensive and better sounding DAC with a remote control. I now have two of them in two headphone systems, confirming I'm a genuine nutter!

May 7, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #2,075 of 2,392
Very interesting to read about peoples' bad experiences with the Gumby/ Iggy into Taurus Mk ii - I'm feeding my Mk ii with Schiit Bimby and never had an issue. I was thinking about upgrading to the Gumby, at least to take advantage of the balanced input of the Mk ii, but the Bimby sounds good and I had other priorities to spend on this year (mostly travel). It is not that much of a priority any more because it really sounds very good together!

May 7, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,076 of 2,392
Less expensive and better sounding is a good thing!
Gumby and Taurus MkII sounded great - through RCA inputs. The issue I had was when the MkII was fed via XLR. I just assumed it was the Taurus (I own 5 other Schiit products and never had a single problem), so I returned the Taurus and have a brand new one headed my way. I bought some adapters and a cable tester to do additional trouble-shooting. I hope all is well with the new unit, because I would prefer not to have to do without my Gumby if I have to send it in for servicing or for an exchange (it is only a week old).

May 11, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #2,077 of 2,392
Was your issue with a MkII? I had a MkII that I just returned because feeding it from the Gumby via XLR made the music sound congested and almost as though some sounds came across as gargling. I returned the MkII and ordered a brand new one in the hopes that it isn't an equipment synergy problem.

Mine was a MKII, but the issue was an electrical fault I think. I had it replaced under RMA through my retailer.
My replacement has been fine ever since. Probably replaced it a month or so after that post, since it got to the point where I couldn't use it in balanced at all

EDIT: Sorry, to provide a full picture - I also replaced my Gumby with a Yggdrasil around a month after that.
So I can't completely rule out some form of synergy issue with the Gumby

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,079 of 2,392
Very interesting to read about peoples' bad experiences with the Gumby/ Iggy into Taurus Mk ii - I'm feeding my Mk ii with Schiit Bimby and never had an issue. I was thinking about upgrading to the Gumby, at least to take advantage of the balanced input of the Mk ii, but the Bimby sounds good and I had other priorities to spend on this year (mostly travel). It is not that much of a priority any more because it really sounds very good together!
My initial MkII was a demo unit. When fed by Gumby's XLR out, music sounded bad - really hard to describe (rough, saw-toothed, jagged are some adjectives). I sent it back and found a vendor with new units to sell, so I purchased a brand-new MkII. The new unit works perfectly, so I can only conclude the demo unit's XLR input was defective in some way.

As you know, AURALiC recommends 100 hours for burn-in, and I'm nowhere near that, but I'm happy with the sound. I detect a black background, great separation of sounds, and gobs and gobs of power - more than enough to drive any of my headphones. The sound is smooth, yet naturally detailed - not done in an artificial manner by boosting any part of the spectrum. My guess is that the changes happening during the break-in period will be gradual changes, so I probably won't notice them. I'm surprised this amp hasn't received more attention. Maybe some are put off by spending $1,899 (US) on a SS amp. They are now available for significantly less than their original MSRP, so perhaps some headphone fans will give it a chance.

May 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #2,080 of 2,392
Hi,

Did anyone have experienced that the prints in the Auralic Faceplate are starting to peel off?

I have been using it since August 2016 and earlier when i was cleaning using microfiber, the word "Volume" letter E has peeled of. It did not take much effort to erase all the word using microfiber.

Is this normal?

Thank you.

Attachments

• E36FFD99-454A-4CA1-916D-602DC4090DFB.jpeg
    E36FFD99-454A-4CA1-916D-602DC4090DFB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 27, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #2,081 of 2,392
Hi,

Did anyone have experienced that the prints in the Auralic Faceplate are starting to peel off?

I have been using it since August 2016 and earlier when i was cleaning using microfiber, the word "Volume" letter E has peeled of. It did not take much effort to erase all the word using microfiber.

Is this normal?

Thank you.
Thanks for the head's up. I'll try to keep my anal nature about cleanliness in check when dusting my audio gear.

May 28, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #2,082 of 2,392
I have tried to contact them and got quite disappointed to there response.

Yes, nothing is perfect but i didn't think that the flaw will be this minute and specially for the price range which is considered to be flagship product.

i never thought that i will be encountering this kind of problem.

May 28, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #2,083 of 2,392

Just joined the Vega club yesterday and I am very impressed! Took the Favorited position in my setup immediately. I find the DSD64 and 44.1 very easy to just listen to and not be all analytical with my sessions. I've been an ESS9018 owner 3 times through the years and this is Definitely the best implementation of it IMO. Was a toss up of Brooklyn+ NEW or Vega USED and I'm glad I chose what I did.

Never seen anyone have two identical amps stacked.. any reason for that? :p

May 28, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #2,085 of 2,392
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back