AURALiC owners unite!
Sep 26, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,996 of 2,388
It all comes down to the volume knob apparently and they are supposed to be looking at changing that in a gen 3.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,997 of 2,388
Here's the wiring diagram to an alps blue volume pot.
alps27layout.jpg

While I don't know for certain what pot is used, the above is plausible given a bridge-tied configuration in balanced mode.

There are two advantages of a balanced pot in a fully balanced design 1) minimizing ground loops and 2) muting volume. If you can afford a $1,500 amp you probably live in a modern dwelling, and feed a high quality signal source without ground loop issues. Because of the way balanced connections are terminated to the single-ended pot, there is a bit of signal that will always pass through meaning you can't completely mute the volume, but this shouldn’t be a big issue since it's faint, and you can ultimately mute just by hitting stop or pause on the player.

What connecting a balanced load to a singe ended pot allows you to do is save money, or allocate funds to different parts of the design. Volume pots / stepped attenuators can be hundreds of dollars a piece. Like anything else, engineering decisions are made by design and I trust Auralic made this decision for good reason. Isn't it better to have a high quality alps pot (one of the best) with no practical disadvantages, or would you rather increase the price, or go with a crappier pot for the sake of saying it's fully-balanced end to end? This amp stacks up among some of the very best designs and is one of the more attainable products.

I've read through a ton of reviews of different amps and there is always something negative to say or complain about, for example the ragnorok measures poorly, or v281 has an opamp in the signal path...but few are willing to pay the actual price of perfection. The reality is you shouldn't worry about undetectable differences, and instead ask yourself, do I like the way this sounds?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,998 of 2,388
Dilemma... please help me out here.

I have a possibility to exchange my trusted Taurus Mk2 (and some cash) for a V281 motorised stepped attenuator version (with DAC module, but that won't be used being inferior to both my Vega and my Mojo I suspect)

I have a hard time parting with my Taurus, which not only visually matches my Vega so beautifully, but just sounds damn good too imho.

Would you guys think this is a good deal/a solid upgrade?

If only Mk3 was there to give me that 3rd middle ground option. Any news on that anybody?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #1,999 of 2,388

I have a possibility to exchange my trusted Taurus Mk2 (and some cash) for a V281 motorised stepped attenuator version (with DAC module, but that won't be used being inferior to both my Vega and my Mojo I suspect)

I have a hard time parting with my Taurus, which not only visually matches my Vega so beautifully, but just sounds damn good too imho.

If only Mk3 was there to give me that 3rd middle ground option. Any news on that anybody?

Thanks!

Head to head comparison of the V281 and Taurus right here: http://www.headphoneer.com/hd800-amplifier-review/

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2,000 of 2,388
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,001 of 2,388

Thanks!
back when I bought the Taurus, the only other amplifier on the short list was the V281. they both have pros and cons, but for my personal taste, Taurus is slightly but audibly better. a little more transparent, dynamic, vivid, but without being harsh or too analytic... perfect for my HE6 and HEK, and also a very good companion of my other cans.
IMHO, depending on your personal preferences in terms of sound signature, swapping the Taurus with a V281 can be anything from a sidegrade to a downgrade. and don't forget the synergy with the Vega (I use the xlr connection), really a perfect sweet spot :)

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #2,002 of 2,388
I was looking at the v281 as well. I did go with the vega in particular because of the matching looks (started with the taurus and altair). Modern day problems!

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,003 of 2,388
I've got both v280 and mk2 ( v280 with dac arrived as replacement for office use of the v281 with a defective volume pot, the motorized one): my preference goes 98% of the times on the taurus, I find it more detailed and lively, especially with the LCD 3 and hd 650

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,004 of 2,388
Using my Auralic stack now with HD600 and must say I love the sound and comfort of HD600.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,005 of 2,388
Actually, my interest in V281 is twofold. The second reason, I should be probably have said earlier - my apologies for that.

1) First reason is a bit lame, and very secondary to audio quality: the remote seems just so convenient for the bedtime listen. My audio rack is in the bedroom, though not next to the bed (no space for that). I don't like digitally dropping volume on my Vega too much. (100% volume for a pleasing level in classical music (some recordings are quite silent) can well be only 50% for comfortable/safe pop music listening)

2) Second reason is more important:
I'm planning on buying LCD-4. My LCD-3 played right into the Taurus' peak power of 4500mW at 120 Ohm in balanced mode. The LCD-4 though is less efficient and 200 Ohm... Planars love current, so I'm hoping to "max out" the LCD-4's potential if I make this big a dent in my wallet. I know the V281 has more power on tap. No clue however how (or if) that translates to sound.
Does anybody have experience with the LCD-4? Is it power hungry?

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,006 of 2,388
It most certainly is. I switched to the high impedance setting on my Woo WA5 and my Cavalli Liquid Gold to high gain. It was the first time with any of my headphones that I felt the need to use the high gain setting.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,007 of 2,388
I e-mailed Auralic btw...

Dear sir

Would it please be possible to quote me an exact power figure of the Auralic Taurus Mk2 for a 200 Ohm load?
I know it's 4500mW into a 120 Ohm load (Audeze LCD-3 plays right into that) and 2000 mW into a 300 Ohm load, so I figure it's somewhere in between... but an exact number would be well appreciated :)
Thank you!

Best regards
Stijn

But I got a most confusing answer:

Hi Stijn:

When using balanced mode, the output is 1700mW into 300ohm.

Xuanqian Wang

Now waiting for clarification:

Hi Sir

I don't quite follow:

1) I asked for a 200 Ohm load, not 300 Ohm

2) because 300 Ohm is already stated in the manual... but at 2000mW, not 1700mW.

If you meant that at 200 Ohm the Taurus delivers 1700mW, how is this possible? It's lower than both the 300 Ohm and the 120 Ohm instead of somewhere in between. I was expecting a bell curve peaking at 120 Ohm balanced or 32 Ohm single ended, so with gradual slopes between the values stated in the manual. Is this incorrect? Does it have a rougher output power curve with multiple peaks and valleys?

Thank you!

Stijn

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,008 of 2,388
Just took a quick listen with my Taurus MkII that just arrived versus my EF-6 and the Liquid Carbon V1. Surprisingly, the Taurus MkII sounds VERY similar to the Carbon - very clean with great balance - but I am noticing a slight veiling possibly like there's something between me and the sound just blunting the experience on both of them. In a blind test I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you've got access to a Liquid Carbon V1, then you know what the Taurus MkII will sound like. I still favor the EF-6. It's a lot more fun to listen to it with my LCD-2F

Hmmm....guess with a different DAC, the Taurus and Carbon may sound better than they do now. Hopefully. I'll hang onto it for now and maybe use it for the bedroom if I can find a DAC that will pair with it. I know, the Vega. But at this point it's a little cost prohibitive unless I can find a great deal somewhere

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #2,009 of 2,388
" Hmmm....guess with a different DAC .... "

IMHO that hits the nail accurately on the head. In all the decades of messing around with digital (I'm 82YO now so have been at it awhile) the no.1 lesson I've learned is that the weakest link in the chain is the DAC. Those "subtle" variations audiophiles detect are more due to the DAC than any other one single component. My thinking FWIW, is that changing headphones or amplifiers is a waste of time, money and effort if the DAC is not up to scratch.

I am now listening to sublime classical music reproduction from FLAC files handled by Roon on this powerful W7 64 bit PC -> Auralic Aries bridge -> balanced digital out via Canare D206 cabling (and the quality of that cable IS important as it is an 8M long run) -> YGGDRASIL DAC -> Auralic Tauris MkII -> Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

And I have a pair of Focal Utopias but a visitor kindly damaged them by overloading them (he is a bit deaf and will not admit it) so they are currently back in France being repaired for God knows what cost. The Focals did sound a bit different but I would not swear they were "better" so will wait until they return to comment decisely on that. In the meantime I'm more than happy with the 800S as they are lighter and more comfortable anyway.

Bottom line from me is guys, stop wasting your money on lusting after other amps and headphones - fix the DAC first.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #2,010 of 2,388
" Hmmm....guess with a different DAC .... "

IMHO that hits the nail accurately on the head. In all the decades of messing around with digital (I'm 82YO now so have been at it awhile) the no.1 lesson I've learned is that the weakest link in the chain is the DAC. Those "subtle" variations audiophiles detect are more due to the DAC than any other one single component. My thinking FWIW, is that changing headphones or amplifiers is a waste of time, money and effort if the DAC is not up to scratch.

I am now listening to sublime classical music reproduction from FLAC files handled by Roon on this powerful W7 64 bit PC -> Auralic Aries bridge -> balanced digital out via Canare D206 cabling (and the quality of that cable IS important as it is an 8M long run) -> YGGDRASIL DAC -> Auralic Tauris MkII -> Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

And I have a pair of Focal Utopias but a visitor kindly damaged them by overloading them (he is a bit deaf and will not admit it) so they are currently back in France being repaired for God knows what cost. The Focals did sound a bit different but I would not swear they were "better" so will wait until they return to comment decisely on that. In the meantime I'm more than happy with the 800S as they are lighter and more comfortable anyway.

Bottom line from me is guys, stop wasting your money on lusting after other amps and headphones - fix the DAC first.
Sorry to hear about your Utopia. I would like to hear your impressions of them when they come back. I'm learning that lesson now about DACs versus amps. And I just discovered that lesson about interconnects and power cords making a difference. I wish I had heard your words of wisdom sooner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back