AURALiC owners unite!
Feb 7, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #2,356 of 2,388
When they released Vega and Taurus it was exceptional for that time design that really put the company into spotlight. Plus it had a killer value for buck ratio.
Now it's just another manufacturer making boring all look alike overpriced streamers, not getting into headlines or featured at head-fi meets.
I totally agree. I got my Taurus mk2 around that time frame and I still have it!

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,357 of 2,388
My cambridge audio 851N ate the dust last week. Looking at the Altair G1.1 as a replacement. Few basic questions. Does it come with a remote control for volume control or are you supposed to use the app on your phone? Also does it have a propritary dac chip?

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,358 of 2,388
My cambridge audio 851N ate the dust last week. Looking at the Altair G1.1 as a replacement. Few basic questions. Does it come with a remote control for volume control or are you supposed to use the app on your phone? Also does it have a propritary dac chip?
I assume it still doesn’t have a remote. No need for one.

Not sure what you mean about the DAC chip, but it’s an excellent bit of kit and Auralic are good at supporting their products with updates, even after ceasing production.

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,359 of 2,388
No remote afaik. Instead, Auralic's Lightning DS app is used to control the Altair. Roon is even better.
According to HiFi Choice, the DAC chip is ESS9038Q2M based.
Their review of Altair G1.1 is here and well worth a read: https://us.auralic.com/blogs/news/lightning-conductor-altair-g1-1-review

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,360 of 2,388
Aug 14, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,361 of 2,388
Hello,

I Bought my Auralic Taurus mk2 used about months ago. And from the beginning it had some problems. Firstly, It often needed some time to start working. 15, 30 min or even as much as some hours. Then it made some sounds the most similar to that of turning on and started working. Well, I have been living like that for some time. Well, then it started happening that it started working but just in the left ear and after some more time it it started working fully. But now it is becoming even worser; it often give full amplified noise before starting. But that noise is often in the right ear. For some seconds. And it then turns on after some more time.
But increasingly often right ear doesn't star working.
Very sad, it is my only amp...

So any ideas what couses it? Looks like poor contact. Is it repairable? By whom?

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #2,362 of 2,388
Hello,

I Bought my Auralic Taurus mk2 used about months ago. And from the beginning it had some problems. Firstly, It often needed some time to start working. 15, 30 min or even as much as some hours. Then it made some sounds the most similar to that of turning on and started working. Well, I have been living like that for some time. Well, then it started happening that it started working but just in the left ear and after some more time it it started working fully. But now it is becoming even worser; it often give full amplified noise before starting. But that noise is often in the right ear. For some seconds. And it then turns on after some more time.
But increasingly often right ear doesn't star working.
Very sad, it is my only amp...

So any ideas what couses it? Looks like poor contact. Is it repairable? By whom?
Could be anything to be honest. But I had similar problems with a mk1 unit but only in the single ended output. Is that the same for you? I contacted Auralic and they where willing to look into it, for a price of course

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,363 of 2,388
Could be anything to be honest. But I had similar problems with a mk1 unit but only in the single ended output. Is that the same for you? I contacted Auralic and they where willing to look into it, for a price of course
Thanks for reply
By same you mean with not working one of the outputs?
Or that it buzz before turning on? Or both?
By the way you know anything about problems regarding it take so much time before it turns on?
Well, when right output doesn't work it doesn't work in both modes.
Also, when it not yet works after turning on it doesn't in both modes. I tried several times but I mostly listen single ended

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #2,365 of 2,388
Yea, one of the outputs didn't work but no buzzing (that I can remember). It got better the longer the unit was on and usually fixed the audio dropping out in the affected channel. It did however give a nasty *pop* sound whenever I turned it off in the channel that had problems. But only in single ended mode! Balanced had zero issues, leading me to believe it was some form of heat stress that cracked some solder somewhere. I tried opening the unit and diagnosing it but lack of time and skills made me close it up again.

Things you could try: does the problem also occur on the pre-amp side? Does it also occur in balanced mode?

As far as the long startup time: that doesn't sound good, and is most likely part of the microcontroller that controls the unit somewhere glitching out. Mine has frozen from time to time a few times in the past months: the unit is on, amplifies but doesn't respond to button presses unless I turn it off and on again.

But it might be that that is the whole problem: your unit's control chip is broken. But the best you could do is contact Auralic via the links @Andrew_WOT gave, it sounds your unit really needs professional help

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,366 of 2,388
Just rejoining the Auralic community. I did have an Aries G1 some time back but very soon, I'll receive a new VEGA G2.2 to act as a Roon end point and DAC for my tube amps. I'd demoed the G2.1 and was impressed with so I look forward to seeing what the G2.2 can do. This should be, a long term DAC as I've tweaked, built and added my perfect tube amps so this the final block of my system... leaving just tubes and headphones to play around with... he says :o2smile:

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #2,370 of 2,388
Hello; I just received my Hoer-wege power supply and plan on installing it today on an Aries G2. The question I have is regarding the two small “insulators” that are included . Do they in fact go under the mounting holes of the two transitors and chassis, or between the mounting screw head and the top of the transistor? It is hard to determine from the instructions/pictures. I do not want to flub this up. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back