AURALiC owners unite!
Apr 8, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #2,176 of 2,392
Has anyone got an opinion on how good the headphone output is on the Vega G1?
I called into a hifi store only a couple of miles from home that I haven't frequented for a few year and they had the new auralic equipment line-up.
I explained I was after a headphone set-up to go with my audeze lcd-3 fazor so I had a listen to the Vega G1 with the HD800 they had in stock and I was suitably impressed.
I wanted the weekend to do some research and have read from some quarters that the headphone output is very good and other saying it is a weak link and not as good as dedicated headphone amp.
Has anyone got any views as to whether it will sound as good as a used original Vega with the Taurus mk11?

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #2,177 of 2,392
By coincidence I was just watching a video explaining the Aries / Vega / G1 / G2 differences and the quality of the G1 headphone output is mentioned. It is towards the end of the video in this link. Hope this helps.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #2,179 of 2,392
Interesting video. I've decided to buy a taurus mk11 dedicated headphone amp after watching it and bought one from ebay last night.
I'll decide in the next few weeks whether to partner it with the visually matching original Vega or go for the new Vega G1.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #2,180 of 2,392
Interesting video. I've decided to buy a taurus mk11 dedicated headphone amp after watching it and bought one from ebay last night.
I'll decide in the next few weeks whether to partner it with the visually matching original Vega or go for the new Vega G1.

congrats on your purchase of Taurus MKII.

If only VEGA G1 comes in silver option...

:)

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #2,181 of 2,392
Thank you. It arrived by courier yesterday. All original packaging and in mint condition. I'm well pleased with it. Now to find a vega at the right price . .
Shame the G1 isn't in silver as you said.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,182 of 2,392
Apr 11, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #2,183 of 2,392
Apr 22, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,184 of 2,392
Is this the only Auralic thread? I couldn't find a separate thread for the Auralic Taurus MKII.
I have just bought a practically new Taurus MKII with one year warranty on an exceptional price. Arriving in two days.
I am expecting it to replace my Questyle CMA600i which I use in balanced mode with my Chord Qutest.

I prefer my 600i to the iFi Pro iCan which is the only higher-end SS amp I tried. I prefer the clean, clear and layered bass of the iCan to the CMA600i's slower bass presentation but the mids on the 600i are much better. Sweeter, fuller, more lifelike. Treble then again is better on the iCan. Cleaner, tighter. The iCan is overall more dynamic and detailed but lacks life and smoothness. The 600i is technically not quite there but it is a sweeter and more pleasing listen to me.

Since I reviewed the Pro iCan (and Pro iDSD) I have been looking for an amp that gives me the technicalities of the iCan while not loosing too much on lifelikeness, soul, sweetness, musicality.
My search has basically narrowed down to three amps: Bryston BHA-1, Headamp GSX-MKII, Taurus MKII. (I didn't like the Liquid Platinum, found it good but too polite and thin for my taste.)

A lot of sources said the GSXMKII can be a bit harsh and bright which I definitely want to avoid. I read some similar comments on the BHA1 too, but much less. In fact I almost bought a BHA1, as people really seem to love it.
In the end I came across this perfect Taurus MKII deal which I just couldn't resist. (Much cheaper than my BHA1 offer.)

Let me copy/paste some opinions here from different reviews. Hopefully in a few days you can read my own first impressions.

"Among the absolute best headphone amplifiers I've ever heard ... one of the absolute best values in the high-end.
If you want an endgame-level headphone amp which offers extremely accurate, resolving sound while maintaining a warm and inviting tone, look no further." InnerFidelity

"The Taurus MKII is certainly among the best I’ve heard, with others in that elite group including Cavalli Audio’s Liquid Glass and Liquid Gold headphone amplifiers.
Significantly, though, the AURALiC is the only one of these three to carry a price tag comfortably below $2000." Absolute Sound

"The Taurus MKII runs with ORFEO Class A output modules – the same as found in the Vega’s output stage. Perhaps this is why the Taurus MKII channels the Vega’s core qualities of deep space illumination and high ‘megapixel’ definition." Darko Audio

"The AURALiC TAURUS MKII is simply one of the finest headphone amps on the market and should not be missed. This is one of the few blind purchases you can’t go wrong with and I say that with confidence. On some harder hitting music the TAURUS puts out a lot of bass for the HE-6 yet each low frequency note is clearly represented. The TAURUS never came across as bright, harsh, or with too much presence." Hometheaterhifi

"The Audeze LCD2s, work equally well with the Taurus, serving up a massive inner-head soundstage, with sound floating all around my head in a pleasantly trippy manner.
It offers enough low-frequency drive to keep the biggest bassheads happy, with mids that are silky smooth (though not embellished) and with a high-frequency response that is extended and detailed but that never crosses into harsh." Tonepublications

" I've been using a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp to drive my balanced Sennheiser HD 800 cans. After switching to this AURALiC Taurus MKII with a break-in period, I believe the Taurus has edged the BHA-1 a bit in smoothness and detail.
Fantastic!....Competes with amps 2 times its price." Amazon reviews

The design of the Orpheo output stages are based on the Neve 8078 legendary mixing console from the 80's. (As I have just learnt.) These are rare, hand-wired units still worth more than £35.000.
These consoles were used in professional studios to record Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Quincy Jones, Chick Corea just to mention a few. I love the recording quality of the 'Dark side of the Moon'. If the Taurus MKII just slightly reminds me to that clarity, soundstage depth, resolution and ever so slight warmth and roundness I find in those recordings, I might have found my perfect headphone amp for a long period of time.

These were also recommended for planars a lot, specifically for the LCD2 too. My current favourite is the LCD2C since I listen to a lot of bass-centric music. Another promising sign for a good match.

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #2,185 of 2,392
. . . and that is refreshingly honest. All credit to the guy.

it was his honest words that made me choose the seperate Taurus mk11 headphone amp and matching dac rather than the newer all in one Vega G1. ive tracked down a matching Vega and it arrived a couple of days ago and it sounds fantastic with the LCD-3F. i actually prefer the looks of the original units over the new design and the build and finish is excellent. i may push the boat out and add an Aries at some point too.

20190422_162640(0).jpg 20190422_170704.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #2,186 of 2,392
Nice setup and the Aries is amazing.

Apr 24, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #2,187 of 2,392
I have to say the Taurus MKII is everything I was expecting and more. It destroys the CMA600i easily.
There is so much energy in the sound! It sounds spacious with exceptional soundstage depth and layering.
The clarity is insane. I do pick up micro details I have never heard before.
Bass performance is amazing, I have never heard kick drums so alive and energetic. Bass is solid, clear and detailed just like the rest of the frequencies.

The bonus is that the amp does not come across as cold, analytical or bright. It is extremely transparent without any coloration, but the notes are not harsh or edgy. You get this 3D space, insane clarity and details in a well-rounded form with just a very small hint of warmth and smoothness.

I am pretty sure my Qutest helps with this clarity and spaciousness too. It sounds like an exceptional synergy.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #2,188 of 2,392
I'm also considering a Taurus MKii to round out my Auralic equipment.
My head tells me that the Chord DACs rule the roost but I find my home is saturated with Auralic gear as the primary component so it makes sense to add the MKii.
My current headphone setup is: Aries-Mini | Vega | Mjolnir 2 | Focal (all models)
I have one of the speaker rooms set up with : Altair | ARCAM Amp | KEF LS50.
After comparing a dozen or so tube/hybrid amps I settled on the Mjolnir 2 with its stunningly silent background. I recently sold the Pro iCAN as it just didn't belong in the same room as the Mjolnir 2. So in the never-ending search for something better, I'm hoping the MKii will not only pair well with its Auralic siblings but also improve on the already outstanding Mjolnir 2.
Any thoughts on that are welcomed.

May 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #2,189 of 2,392
I am not a big burn-in believer, IMO the effect is often over-exaggerated. A few times though on my audio journey I came across some gear that really changed after burn-in. This was the Nighthawk for example and now it seems the Taurus MKII is one of them as well. I have only used 60-70 hours my Taurus so far and the sound has already become much smoother, a little warmer, it feels more lush and more coherent. Initially it was a little bright and edgy, which by now is completely gone. I am quite surprised in a good way as I am very happy with the changes.

May 23, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #2,190 of 2,392
My impressions after owning the Vega and Taurus 11 for only the last month is that it must be switched on for at least 2 hours before listening or it sounds too warm and lifeless then the sound seems to open up and snap into focus.
One other thing I'm finding also which was touched on by one reviewer is that it only seems to come alive and have the dynamics and clarity when the volume is very loud. At low to medium levels things sound a little soft and too laid back especially on rock music.
Maybe I need to change to a good quality balanced cable between the Vega and Taurus instead of the budget rca I'm using at the moment.
I also bought a pair of audeze lcd4 which arrived yesterday so I will have a good listen at the weekend and compare them to the lcd-3f. The lcd4 comes with the single ended cable , does anyone have an opinion on whether they sound better with a balanced cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back