Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Oct 10, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #8,296 of 8,309
Well, a bit late, but I own it. I paired it with Genalex Gold Lion E88CC - sound was very clear, detailed, too much IMO, but the lamp itself stop playing at left channel after few months of using - Russian quality I think...

So I bought old Czechoslovakia Tesla's from 1969 - the sound become warm, much more musically finished instead being detailed. So fun, so good and pleasure to listen, I bought as a reserve two more Tesla's, remembering, how short Genalex works... Probably it was not necessary, old one's don't want to break, no matter how long I listen to them :wink:

About T1s - unluckly, I don't to much experience with other DAC/AMPs. I love this one - music is wider, have more air and space, than from my LG V50 ThinkQ. And still - more detailed. Very smooth. Don't work too good with highly effective headphones, ~30Ohms. I am using 75 Ohms impedence plug permanently - doing his miracle.

Probably the T1s is way better DAC/AMP than someone could think - and, at other side, not as good as someone could think... I think it's superb in terms of "giving music more music", making sound fuller, richer, warmer, super pleasant to listen. Still - detailed.

Important info - changing lamp has huge impact on the sound. I was surprised, because I've read that lamp is only to make small impact on the sound, colorized it's a bit. Well, I've noticed very clear difference with Genalex, Tesla and Electro-Harmonix lamps.

Bluetooth is really useful, I like to listen from my phone in silent.
Aune T1s works great with Ultrasone Edition Eleven. Highly reccomend.

Well, I really think I did good choice, buying this instead of X1s :)
Congratulations on your new acquisition and so happy to see you enjoying it! It is so underrated!

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #8,298 of 8,309
Im re-installing windows 11.. and it can't find drivers for my AUNE T1 MK 2 (or 3 not sure).... the official aune website drivers are offline.. can someone please help I have no audio now :*(
Not sure if this will work for you.

Attachments

• Aune_UsbAudio_v5.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #8,300 of 8,309
unfortunately my device is still yellow in device manager as "aune DFU" Also after installing this driver you sent, i can't seem to find the uninstaller... very strange...
sorry to hear that. I used that driver on windows 11 with my T1s without any issues. not sure if @AuneAudio can chime in to assist

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #8,302 of 8,309
And you don't have yellow device in device manager? You have MK2 or MK 3?
I bought mine last year. I think it is the T1s 4 Gen

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #8,303 of 8,309
Just checking in.

I've purchased 50+ other dacs and amps since the old T1 days. I've extensivly compared many many others to the Aune T1. Do some sound better? For sure. But the ones that do are 3-4x the price. I think I prefer the T1 over my Cayin stuff even, like my hotrodded HA-1A and my iHA-6.

I still use my T1 daily. Paired with some Hifiman XS and Meze Lirics most of the time.

I have, however, stepped up the mods to my T1. First, I swapped the 5532 opamp in the headphone amp section to an OPA2134. I changed the coupling caps out to some Russian PIO, then bypassed them with some small films. I moved the rectifier section of the power supply to the wall wart. And a few other little things.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #8,305 of 8,309
How did you make everything fit? And how does the OPA2134 sound?

Carefully haha.

The OPA2134, to me, sounds MUCH smoother and more detailed than the stock NE5532. The opamp in the main board for the RCA in/out is already an OPA2134 btw.

You would need a hot air setup to swap this one though.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #8,306 of 8,309
Just as an FYI, I have scientifically confirmed that the T1 Aune defintely has a ground problem on its original version. I kept getting ground noises in my headphones, PC, adjacent electronics, speakers for anything connected to or using my PC. Turns out its the USB connection on the thing is grounding the power surge protector / AC adapter EVEN WHEN ITS TURNED OFF. I noticed it by accident when I physically unplugged only the USB cable which made the problem go away 100%.

As I love this thing, I made a modification which 100% solved the problem. I physically grounded the damn thing to my main computer / chassis / equipment rack. See pictures. I've been reading a lot USB failures being caused by Aune on computers around the web and I can 100% believe it to be true with what I found out. I screwed the ground to a PCB screw in the middle of the unit and drilled a hole in the bottom frame to allow it to sit flat with a 12awg wire coming out.

Normally I would have chucked a malfunctioning designed electronic into the fiery chasm from whence it came over this, but I just love this thing and have been using it for 8+ years now aside from this problem. Just as an FYI.

Attachments

• 20230110_200740.jpg
    20230110_200740.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230110_200727.jpg
    20230110_200727.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #8,307 of 8,309
Just as an FYI, I have scientifically confirmed that the T1 Aune defintely has a ground problem on its original version. I kept getting ground noises in my headphones, PC, adjacent electronics, speakers for anything connected to or using my PC. Turns out its the USB connection on the thing is grounding the power surge protector / AC adapter EVEN WHEN ITS TURNED OFF. I noticed it by accident when I physically unplugged only the USB cable which made the problem go away 100%.

As I love this thing, I made a modification which 100% solved the problem. I physically grounded the damn thing to my main computer / chassis / equipment rack. See pictures. I've been reading a lot USB failures being caused by Aune on computers around the web and I can 100% believe it to be true with what I found out. I screwed the ground to a PCB screw in the middle of the unit and drilled a hole in the bottom frame to allow it to sit flat with a 12awg wire coming out.

Normally I would have chucked a malfunctioning designed electronic into the fiery chasm from whence it came over this, but I just love this thing and have been using it for 8+ years now aside from this problem. Just as an FYI.
Out of the many many different combinations I've had mine hooked up in, not once did I have an issue.

I'm talking literally HUNDREDS of different combinations. From computers and my phones/tablets as a source to many different amps, preamps, and even in my cars, not once have I had an issue.

And I own 3 of them, all 3 work perfectly.

The original T1 does NOT have a ground issue.

Either the specific one you have has an issue or something else you have does.

I did see an issue when I tried it at someone's house that had an electrical wiring issue. Turned out they had a floating neutral and all the current was going through their ground. That would be my first thought. Might want to get one of those super cheap outlet testers and try it.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #8,308 of 8,309
Out of the many many different combinations I've had mine hooked up in, not once did I have an issue.

I'm talking literally HUNDREDS of different combinations. From computers and my phones/tablets as a source to many different amps, preamps, and even in my cars, not once have I had an issue.

And I own 3 of them, all 3 work perfectly.

The original T1 does NOT have a ground issue.

Either the specific one you have has an issue or something else you have does.

I did see an issue when I tried it at someone's house that had an electrical wiring issue. Turned out they had a floating neutral and all the current was going through their ground. That would be my first thought. Might want to get one of those super cheap outlet testers and try it.
Your experiences are welcome. I've been around home theater electronics long enough to know what a ground loop is, and how to isolate the cause. The circuit I am using this on is properly installed EMT with 12 ga wire and no floating neutral issues.

This guy has the same problem apparently. I ran through several reddit posts showing USB port failures I can share with you. I would wager it makes sense that the USB ports are slowly failing if its getting the 1A ground for the PSU through its sleeve.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aun...-faq-updated-on-02-14-15.633006/post-15588754

My PSU is the proprtietary T1-1504 version so maybe thats it. I know that when a piece of electronics is causing a ground loop even when powered off, it is a design issue, not a glitch issue. Its shouldn't run hot like this in a powered off state through the USB port. Thats just wrong. Ground loops I've seen in the past only materialize when the component is on.

I made this post to show how to fix it, and not to sully the reputation of Aune. I know and am certain I am not alone on this.

I bought the Aune because at the time (and still) is the only aesthetically looking desktop DAC / headphone amp that had RCA outs on the back with a comfy volume dial. I am still happy with despite having to modify it.

I am happy your Aunes all work perfect. You can just skim past my post and leave it to the others with issues,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back