Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #8,146 of 8,309
My T1SE just arrived yesterday and I opened it up and started using it today. This is my first DAC/amp purchase, so forgive me for asking so many questions.

My T1 is currently plugged into my MacBook Pro and feeding my 600 ohm DT 880s (I'm giving it time to burn in). It is playing my music without me having to download any drivers. However, is there any driver that I should still install? And should I adjust anything in my Audio MIDI settings? Also, should my gain be set to 16DB for my 880s? That is what the gain was set to when I pulled the unit out of the box. That is what I have left it at for right now.

One more question, what kind of USB port is the port on the back of the T1? I want to get the right kind of lightning to USB cable so that I can use the T1 with my iPhone and iPad.

Thank you,
Alec

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #8,147 of 8,309
The USB behind the T1 is called a USB B, or more commonly known in computer stores as 'printer cable' because its the same connector used for printers. As for compatibility, some people has problems with connecting to portable devices as opposed to laptops/desktops. You might need a powered USB hub for it to work.

The gain is totally up to you. Some cans require high gains to allow volume knob somewhere in the middle for listening levels. Some people have high sensitivity cans so they use the lower gain setting. Use what you feel comfortable with.

Macs connect with them automatically, no drivers needed.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #8,149 of 8,309
Hey fellas! Long time no see! :)

Has anyone done any additional mods to T1 besides capacitor overhaul along with some high-end tubes?
I mean, like OPAMP changing or something more?

I`m currently going to install and test Burson V5i dual opamps instead NE5532 headphone board opamp and OPA2134 DAC Opamp.

Will report back how it goes :wink:

Aug 18, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #8,150 of 8,309
Has anyone ever gotten the Aune T1 to work with Ubuntu? Plugged via USB, mine gets detected as a "Analog Outout / Digihug USB Audio" and I get no sound... :\

[edit] ok I think my T1 is toast because from what I found;
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/8297/aune-bit-valve-tube-dac?page=16
Btw, I was afraid that Aune T1 wont work so easily under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS [...] No need for drivers or some setup. Just choose DigiHug USB Audio Analog output from Ubuntu sound settings and good to go ;P
I don't understand why you'd choose audio analog when it's a DAC, but anyway... Some seem to say that there's more steps to follow, but even with the steps, nope, still nothing; no sound... BUT! I just tried a modi, and it's obviously a DAC, so digital, but shows up "Analog Output / Digihug USB Modi device"! So analog again, so for some reason it also says analog but it works fine... (I don't get it why analog and not digital...)
Naaah, it seems that under Ubuntu it isnt so simple. Noticed, that output was set to analog and that seemed wierd. Also something had changed in sound (littlebit like mono). PulseAudio seems to cause problems. I`m using Clementine and its Gstreamer output setting must be set to ALSA. After that there should be DigiHub S/PDIF Digital out at sound settings - select it.

Terminal: alsamixer
ALL other sound devices and their input/output values must be 0 (F6 selects device).

Terminal: sudo gpasswd -a yourusername audio

Terminal: killall pulseaudio

Just in case do also: sudo update-grub

After that you can play files with different quality/bitrate/sample rate without software conversions - pure Aune`s job now.

And yeah BTW I'm trying it on Linux because it stopped working one day with Windows 7. It worked for years via USB & PC until one day it didn't. No sound. I just tried via cell -> line in, and it works. So the amp section is fine. The 4 orange lights of the tube light up as usual, the top of the lamp is silvery, any idea on how to debug the DAC/tube? It is detected via linux, but again, no sound in linux either...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #8,151 of 8,309
Has anyone ever gotten the Aune T1 to work with Ubuntu?
I'm running Fedora and everything is ok.
So I think there are no any constraints to run it under Ubuntu.
You need to select DigiHug USB Spdiff out. DeadBeef is a good player to do so.

Aug 18, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #8,152 of 8,309
I'm running Fedora and everything is ok.
So I think there are no any constraints to run it under Ubuntu.
You need to select DigiHug USB Spdiff out. DeadBeef is a good player to do so.
Thanks! Just installed, still no luck... Which settings do you use? I think I remember reading somewhere I should be using ALSA plugin, but when selected I have more than a dozen of possible DigiHub outputs, the closest seems to be: "DigiHub USB Audio, USB Audio, IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)", but still I'm getting nothing... :frowning2: Other such as direct sample mixing device, direct hardware device withotu any conversions, etc., all don't seem to work either...

Also yeah you were right, when the T1 is plugged, in the ubuntu sound settings I have the option of either analog or digital (S/PDIF), but neither work, no sound from Test Sound also. Getting quite sure something is toast...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #8,153 of 8,309
DigiHub USB Audio, USB Audio, IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)
Yes, it is correct. I'm using ALSA plugin and IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output.
Does the tube working correctly in the your Aune?

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #8,154 of 8,309
Does the tube working correctly in the your Aune?
That's what I'd like to know! "I just tried via cell -> line in, and it works. So the amp section is fine. The 4 orange lights of the tube light up as usual, the top of the lamp is silvery, any idea on how to debug the DAC/tube?". I've also looked at the tube filaments the tube does not seem to have any visible damage (that I know how to check anyhow...), I also hear the click ~1m after turning the unit on, but the DAC section/tube seems broken... It's the original Aune + original tube, 5 year old now, used at work so almost 8h a day every work day. I did not really notice a degradation of sound from the tube, the Aune was just dead one morning.

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #8,155 of 8,309
First of all, just buy some cheap chinese or russian tube for replacement to be sure that it is not just faulty tube (You can`t tell faulty tube just by looking at it).
Secondly, open up Your Aune T1 and look for any visible damage to PCB components (capacitors firstly as they are rubbish on original T1 and after 5y no wonder if they gave up working).
Thirdly, look for any other "fried" signs on resistors, chips etc.
Also, not sure if T1 will let line-in sound pass through T1 when Aune wall-brick is dead... but check it anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #8,156 of 8,309
5 year old now, used at work so almost 8h a day every work day
8(h)x5(days)x52(weeks per year)x5(years)=10400 hours. So I think your tube is dead.
Firstly just try to buy a replacement tube.

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #8,158 of 8,309
Does anyone know if I have to worry about voltage if I purchase the Aune XP1 to complement the T1se? I'm in North America. The Aune Web store only seems to specify color.

Nevermind. I contacted Aune and they told me they would ship a 110V version of the XP1 if I placed an order on their Web store. Just got the T1se, by the way, and I am really enjoying this product so far. I wish I had bought one much sooner.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #8,159 of 8,309
The Aune T1 power supply seemed pretty big, is there a big difference between it and the upgraded power supply?

Btw I'm going to check out the local stores for tubes, and maybe if there's nothing affordable just go for a cheap chinese tube. :) Is there any specific recommendation? I was looking at;

Special Beijing 6n11 tube, J class, 6922 ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8, 6N11, electron tube for ~13.50$ shipped
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spe...88CC-6DJ8-6N11-electron-tube/32810621389.html

which seems pretty much the cheapest compatible tube I could find, the brand is Beijing... But besides the 5 positive reviews in the shop page, couldn't really find any info. The same store has a russian tube for 20$, which might also be interesting, but not knowing if my T1 is dead, less of a waste if so...

Special ECC88: the Soviet Union 6H23n upgrade 6H23/6N11/E88CC/CCa/6DJ8 poison tube fever tube for ~20$ shipped
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spe...-6DJ8-poison-tube-fever-tube/32808484130.html

I'm in Canada which makes it a bit more difficult; can't really purchase from US as just the shipping cost costs about the same as the tube, and even in Canada, which is ultra ridiculous, buying a 15$ tube from a store 200km away costs 15$, yet shipping from china (10000+km?) costs 2$...!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back