Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 5, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #8,131 of 8,309
Apr 5, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #8,132 of 8,309
Hi all!

I just ordered a T1SE MK3 and, as an absolute noob, I ask you to provide me some manual to configure it Foobar on W10 correctly. Thank you in advance, this is my first dedicated source and I'm somewhat overwhelmed :triportsad:

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #8,133 of 8,309
Hello everyone,
I know i'm late to the party but today is the day my T1se Mk3 arrived and i might as well admit, today is the day i realized i was living in a lie. I have a pair of DT880's, 600 variant, around for close to 2 years now and i've never had the time to look for a proper DAC/amplifier for it. When i re-built my desktop computer, i ordered a MB which SUPPOSEDLY had the ability to drive phones up to 600 ohms. In the short time i had at my disposal, i noticed that while it did give a boost to volume, the sound was, well...dead :). No low,mid or high presence at all. I tinkered with the EQ a bit and managed to bring it to a decent level but still, it was miles ahead of what i KNEW these phones can.
Enter T1se (stock tube). I feel reborn, i swear. The soundstage it brought, the tempering in the highs and the presence on the lows is...damn, breathtaking. It's my first true endeavor in the audiophile universe but holy God it feels good. I have a lot of FLACs on my disks and dvds and for the first time in my life, i could feel a difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC. I feel so sad for the Beyers...

To add something useful to the thread, i noticed that this combo (On-Board audio source of the z270x Gaming 7+DT880+T1se) really shines when listening to orchestral music. I'm not keen on classical music (Mozart, Beethoven, etc) but i do listen a lot to Two Steps from Hell/Thomas Bergersen, Enigma, A.R.Rahman, Shanti's Buddha Bar/Tai-Chi volumes and that's where i felt the biggest difference yet. I'm listening on repeat to Rahman's Mumbai Theme Song and it's making my heart skip beats. It starts with a centered flute and a cymbal - all in the center of the soundstage. Mid-song it switches to some pads which are as stereo as they come, with height perception (which i never had before); shortly after, a strong bassline comes in (it might be just a low pad) which fills the entire audio spectrum. After taking a small "break", where the cymbal accompanies some strings/pads, it goes off again. What i can tell you is that the sounds are never in one place. I paid ~300 euros for this small monster (I know, it's expensive but that's what you get when you have only one authorized reseller in your whole country) and i don't regret it one nanosecond. I would of paid, now, that i know what it feels like, 500 euros for it. It seems that my onboard audio has enough power to act as an AMP (up to a certain level, after which it plateaus) while the T1se does it's job as a DAC wonderfully.

I've read a lot before buying and i noticed many owners going the route of tube-rolling. Sadly, the only place where i can buy tubes (the same from where i bought the dac) doesn't have any decent (or affordable) ones. If, by any chance, anyone of you guys and girls, at some point, decide to sell either the Gold Lion E88CC or the Amperex 7308 Golden Pin, i'd like to try and buy one. So far, i'm more than thrilled with the SQ i'm provided and probably don't need another tube but i'm also aware that you can't realize what you're missing till you've had it.

Oh, and another thing...i had to amp the whole 16DB to properly drive the Beyers. I guess this means i'll have to look for a proper amp, sometime in the future. TIll then, i will recommend the T1se to everyone i know (and maybe convert a few) looking for a different audio experience.

A BIG thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, it really made my decision that much easier. I would of never decided to pull the plug if it weren't for you. Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #8,134 of 8,309
Hi everyone
From what I've read the "Amperex OG 6DJ8" is a good all around replacement for the original tube of my Aune T1. I'm finding too many results in eBay and having a hard time filtering through them. Is this one correct?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pa...s-From-USSR-/372103421671?hash=item56a3179ee7
It's just the cheapest one I saw with the Orange Globe. Not sure what else to look for.

Thanks!
I’m not too sure if that’s the one people have recommended. One thing that is confusing about tubes is that even with the same brand, same code you could get a tube that sound noticeable worse than others. The year it’s made in, hell, even the factory (as somehow deduce-able from the box, perhaps) all play a factor. There’s nothing to do but ask and/or blind try.
Regardless, I can’t help you in this specific instance but the key here is that you should search head-fi to find what traits will differ the “OG” ones from other Amperex 6dj8 - which might be plenty. Searching in the Schiit Vali or other amps that use the same tube types would help also.

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #8,135 of 8,309
Hi all!

I just ordered a T1SE MK3 and, as an absolute noob, I ask you to provide me some manual to configure it Foobar on W10 correctly. Thank you in advance, this is my first dedicated source and I'm somewhat overwhelmed :triportsad:
I think Aune use Xmos drivers so first install the drivers that you can find.
Next install the Asio component for foobar. You can google it and follow the steps (sorry I’m on a phone but I’m sure it’s not difficult).
Press Ctrl P to open foobar preference. There’s a section called “output”. Just select asio: xmos something (which is your aune). Notice here it’s in exclusive mode so other applications won’t push sound through your Aune.
Please try the steps and let me know if it succeeds.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #8,136 of 8,309
I think Aune use Xmos drivers so first install the drivers that you can find.
Next install the Asio component for foobar. You can google it and follow the steps (sorry I’m on a phone but I’m sure it’s not difficult).
Press Ctrl P to open foobar preference. There’s a section called “output”. Just select asio: xmos something (which is your aune). Notice here it’s in exclusive mode so other applications won’t push sound through your Aune.
Please try the steps and let me know if it succeeds.

Thank you very much, WilliamLeonhart! I found a manual on a web with those steps and everything was installed satisfactorily.

May 2, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #8,138 of 8,309
Can someone recommend a decent Tube to replace the original that is dying (buzzing on right channel)? Also a link to it on Ebay would be nice since I have no clue about the small differences in appearance and don't want to buy something bad.

Will this do the job? https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Matche...861460?hash=item3f700d5494:g:dpcAAOSwj85YOGq2

Thanks <3
Hi exSpire,
I no longer have my T1 but I do have some tubes sitting around. These are:

Mullard CV2492 1970's
Siemens Cca 1968
Amperex ECC88 1970
Telefunken E88CC 19??

These are all NOS (New Old Stock) tubes. I did a ton of rolling (including lots of research within head-fi) and came up with these four, as they each have a unique sound. I've neglected to put them on eBay--they're just sitting in their boxes. So, if you are interested in any of these just LMK and toss out a price. Anything reasonable will be considered and probably accepted.

Side comments:
1. NOS tube are really hard to find. I believe I caught the last of those available when I was rolling a few years ago.
2. Matched pairs are usually at a premium over 2 unmatched tubes. You don't need a matched pair so, IMHO, don't pay the premium, just buy a single.

Please PM me if you're interested.

Best,

Bill

May 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #8,139 of 8,309
Hi all,

I did a quick search and saw a few posters in this thread claiming that the T1 has an output impedance rating of ~10 ohms. Does the se version have that same 10 ohm figure?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #8,143 of 8,309
Quick question everybody,

Would some of the tube rolling threads for other amps be good resources to consult in combination with this thread to find a good replacement tube for the T1? Or will a specific tube that sounds good with one of those products not necessarily sound good with the T1 since it is a different product with different characteristics?

Thanks

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #8,144 of 8,309
Hi everyone
From what I've read the "Amperex OG 6DJ8" is a good all around replacement for the original tube of my Aune T1. I'm finding too many results in eBay and having a hard time filtering through them. Is this one correct?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pa...s-From-USSR-/372103421671?hash=item56a3179ee7
It's just the cheapest one I saw with the Orange Globe. Not sure what else to look for.

Thanks!
Hey,
First, I love(d) my T1--learned lots. I did a bunch of rolling and it really comes down to value--sound for the $ spent. The OG is really popular and it's in my collection as one of four I found to be the best for the T1. ("I" being the operative word.) I wound up with the Amperex ECC88, A-frame Orange Globe, Heerlen 1970. (Phew!)

The price differences you are seeing are likely due to type of frame, getter, pins, dimples, blah, blah, blah. So, you can put into it as much as you have/time/interest/$, or just go buy something and give it a whirl. There are tons of resources within the forums addressing tubes.

My only real piece of advice is that the T1 doesn't need a pair of tubes, much leas a matched pair, so buy singles.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back