Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5,071 of 8,309
It seems like most of the good tubes are sold in matched pairs, thereby doubling the cost for us single tube Aune T1 owners. Has anybody set up a system where two head-fi'ers share the cost and split a pair?

Just curious if anybody has done it and how the experience was.

I'm letting few go if you interested 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/714349/12au7-6922-ecc88-6dj8-6sn7-etc

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #5,072 of 8,309
  Hi CoiL,

Thanks for your detailed tube recommendation last time. Please keep us posted about your wooden box project
bigsmile_face.gif

Few tubes has arrived couple day ago, here are the photos:

(Please ignore the EH 6922 at the back)
The right one has a D-Getter, didn't know that at the time I placed my bid, kind of surprising when it came
tongue.gif

The Bugle Boy on the left is by far the most "tube sound" amongst all my other tubes as well as the warmest.It condense every single note with pleasant coloration; but soundstage is quite narrow and up front. Guess it would be suitable for Chamber music or jazz.

The ECC188 on the right however is very different, soundstage is much wider but slightly flat in response IMO. But I'm not saying it's no good.

Telefunken, finally have a chance listening to this legendary brand, since it is a PCC189 without gold pin, I got it at a reasonable price.
Impression? I'd say: "Typical German hi-tech technology"
biggrin.gif
 It gives you everything you need except... passion and emotionality.
rolleyes.gif

May I know what brand is the socket underneath the Tele PCC189 tube? And how much is it? Does it affect the sound/performance of T1?

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #5,074 of 8,309

Still interested about that code and pic... if possible? :wink:

After reading your post, also decided to try external amp for cans. Not that HD-681 need any juice, just to test sound improvement.
pa2v2 will be my first choice atm as it`s cheap and reading from internet, slightly warm-sided. 
Still, any other cheap recommendations to try out? cMoy 2.03 no competition against pa2v2 in terms of sound quality?

Reading this, it makes me try hooking my T1 -> ifi iTube -> Yamaha A-S201 -> PSB m4u2 (hp). Great resolution. Wonder if iTube covers or improve T1 sounds. More testing required. But I'm a happy man. This thread is fantastic, teaching me to explore all options to improve my listening experience.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #5,075 of 8,309
If u're using the T1 just for the amp, you could have gotten better ones such as the o2 or the iCan that I'm using(these are dedicated amps, not dac+amp like the t1). You could use ur soundcard as dac and the T1's amp, but what's the point? The Dac of the T1 will definitely be better.

ho ho. Saw your signature (audio bliss!) with iCAN. I'm thinking of buying one for myself. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #5,076 of 8,309
Been playing music from morning till now (almost 22:00), switching back and forth between my Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 and 7308. As Coil pointed out, my 6DJ8 is not the same as THE "must have tube" in every T1 owners' collection. Nevertheless, I still enjoy my 6DJ8 over 7308. Vocal and mids are clearer and bass is just right for me (firm). My music genres mainly jazz, pop, blues and some classical. It's not easy to get quality tubes here in China at reasonable prices. And, of course, there are many fake ones, too.

Anyway, on first listening test basis and selected my preference amongst Amperex JAN 7308 (orange label), 6DJ8, Tesla PCC88, Siemens ECC88, Tungsram E88CC and my stock 6922EH is 6DJ8. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #5,077 of 8,309
Hi guys.

I'm choosing between: Aune T1, Audinst MX2, Maverick Audio D1+

Which of these would be the best DAC on the sound? 
I want a sound that is close to the analog, lively and natural sound.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5,079 of 8,309
Goodday mate,

I ordered mine directly from www.tubemonger.com and I think it's the same as isendono suggested ordering from ebay. Personally I cannot hear any sonic difference but that's only my little piece of opinion. However, if you're going to roll tubes, this little gadget might be worthwhile to invest since the original socket on T1 is VERY tight, making it difficult to swab tubes and I'm afraid one day I might pull the whole thing off from the circuit board.
biggrin.gif

Will

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #5,080 of 8,309
  Also I have ripped blu ray concerts into 5.1

Just curious what blu ray concerts you have. Been collecting them for a while and always ready to take in good suggestions. Latest purchase was Joe Cocker Fire It Up. Really nice disc, but had to order it from Germany.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,081 of 8,309
Lot and lots of HD TRACKS albums plus these blu ray and Blu ray audio disks. Oh and man dvd-audio disks too but that's a whole other list.****** means the best of the best sound quality if you ask me.
Adele
Aerosmith (BDA- Blu Ray audio disk)
AIX Records HD music sampler
Alicia Keys
Bee Gees
Bob Marley Legend (BDA)
Bryan Adams
Chris Botti ******
Crosby Still and Nash
Dark Side of the Moon (BDA) ******
Dave Matthews ******
Diana Krall
Eagles Farewell Live From Melbourne ******
Elton 60
Genesis Selling england by the pound (BDA)
John Lennon Imagine (BDA)
John Mayer ******
Kings of Leon
Korn
Nirvana In Utero (BDA)
Nirvana Nevermind (BDA)
Pink
Queen Night at Opera (BDA) ******
Regina Spektor
REO Speedwagon
Sheryl Crow
Stone Temple Pilots (BDA)
The Cure Trilogy Live

HDTRACKS
Areosmith hits
Alicia Keys Songs in Minor
Bob Marley Legend
Cat Stevens tea for tillerman
Dr Chesky's Sensations , fantastic etc etc Binural Sound show ******
Eagles many albums
Fleetwood Mac 3 albums fav is Rumours ******
Foreigner 4 ******
Glen Hansard Rhythm and Repose ******
Prince LOTS of albums
Hootie and blowfish
Joni Mitchell hissing summer lawns
Joss Stone soul session vol 2
lionel richie cant slow down
Lorde ******
Madonna 3 albums
Metallica
Michael Jackson Bad and Thriller
Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Moby
Nirvana Nevermind
Norah Jones come away and broken hearts albums
Pearl Jam Vs
Phil Colins But seriously and Face Value
Queen The Game ******
Shania Twain Up
Stever Wonder songs in minor
Stone TEmple Pilots Core
Usher 8701
Yes 90125

THe thing that blows my mind is just how great a plain cd sounds too. And I can now finally see how mp3's suck total ass. They are nearly as lively as lossless cd.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #5,082 of 8,309
Been playing music from morning till now (almost 22:00), switching back and forth between my Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 and 7308. As Coil pointed out, my 6DJ8 is not the same as THE "must have tube" in every T1 owners' collection. Nevertheless, I still enjoy my 6DJ8 over 7308.

I'm having a similar experience. I purchased a USN 7308 NOS vintage gold pin as my first tube to swap out the stock 6922EH. A couple weeks ago, I saw an Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 white label on eBay for $5 shipped and snatched it up. I found the 6DJ8 was more to my liking than the 7308... and I paid 1/10 the price of the 7308. Now I'm on the hunt for a good deal on an orange globe a frame to try out, or a cheap bugle boy.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #5,083 of 8,309
Man we need a trading program for these tubes. I have another Single leg dimpled disc GAC coded Heerlen made Orange Globe and a bugle boy I'd consider trading if nothing more than to just hear without having to buy some of the costly tubes. After all we can only listen to one tube at a time I really don't want to own 80 tubes to find my fav one or two.

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #5,084 of 8,309
Good taste bro. I might buy that Dave Matthews disc (especially if gravedigger is in there). Other interesting discs/artists are already covered. Get Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's. No collection is complete without that one. It's easily one of my best discs :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back