Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 21, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,837 of 8,309
I wanted to do some reviews of the tubes I have but so far was only able to sum up these two, I'll edit this post later with more when I have some free time.

Tube Impressions
Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm + Aune T1

RCA 6AQ8 - Made in Holland by Amperex
Bass: 4.5/5 - Bass is pretty strong, though I think of it as just being more balanced. Easy to listen to
Mids: 4.0/5 - Mids are somewhat relaxed
Highs: 4.7/5 - Highs are very clear though they can be somewhat sharp sometimes, other than that pretty great.
Soundstage: 4.3/5 - I feel like the overall soundstage is narrower than my GE 6AQ8 which is a bit of a disappointment, though it's still plenty.
Overall: 4.7/5 - My tube of preference currently, the sound for me matches the best with my DT990s, presenting the highs in such a way that makes them sound absolutely killer, and I feel like the sharpness of the highs comes more from the mixing of the song itself rather than the headphones/tube, the bass is well presented and sounds somewhat full, could use a tad more punch but good overall, with the mids lacking much comment aside from they sound good.
Good genres: Pretty much everything, I've yet to hear something that doesn't sound good on this tube.

Mazda ECC189 - Made in France
Bass: 4.5/5 - Bass is well presented with a tight punchy sound
Mids: 4.0/5 - Mids are... weird, it sounds like they're very recessed but they're not, which I suspect comes from the bass and highs being distracting to the point of me not really being able to pay attention to the mids.
Highs: 4.5/5 - Highs are well represented and they seem less siblant, but at the same time it feels less... fun? Once again it's hard to describe how different this tube is while still being really good.
Soundstage: 4.6/5 - Soundstage on this tube to me seems equal to or maybe even better than my GE 6AQ8
Overall: 4.5/5 - A good tube through and through, though the sound is a little bit different from what I feel used to. The bass is a lot tighter, more controlled and has more punch, though I feel like it's a little bit too much control, as I prefer more of a... presence from bass aside from the punchy bits. The highs sound a little, well... lifeless, it's well represented and accurate but it seems like it's lacking any feeling. A very accurate tube in my opinion, which if you're a fan of that sound then this is probably the tube for you.
Good genres: Rock specifically sounds really good on these, electronic can also be really good depending on your preference. Otherwise good for generally everything.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #5,838 of 8,309
hey guys, I'd like some opinions on Aune T1 + Grado 325is, Aless MSPro and iGrado (for listening at the office). I've already own the O2/ODAC, will the Aune be different enough to justify the new investment?

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #5,840 of 8,309
One of two things can happen.

Aune releases a firmware update patch...
1. And all is well.

b. And the T1 is bricked.

My money is on b.

Haha, well this is the email from Henry, so hopefully we'll get replacements regardless! Option b would really suck though 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hi Milan,

We attempted to contact the vendor regarding the 24 bit playback issue! They are currently on holiday, but I will contact you again with more information as soon as we hear back from them! 

We are hoping that they can shed some light on the issue and potentially give us a simple solution. If they can confirm that there is a defective issue with the Aunes that are having trouble with 24 bit playback, we will handle sending out replacements!

Again, I'll be in contact with you when our logistics team hears back from the vendor! Sorry about the wait!

Best regards,
Henry

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #5,841 of 8,309
I just received my T1 mk2, plugged it in first with the 6922EH instead of the Genalex Gold Lion to test it out. I'm not entirely sure how to describe this, but it feels like this setup neutered my DT990 250 ohms. I haven't done any a/b listening, so I can't well describe what's different, but somehow it made the 990s boring to listen to. I wasn't enjoying the music nearly as much as I used to. Has anyone else with the same setup experienced this? I'm planning to do some more listening and switch over to the Gold Lion and see how that fares.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #5,842 of 8,309
I find the Gold Lion to be similar to the stock EH6922... just a bit better all around but similar in signature. If you want to get a more "fun" tube, perhaps try an Amperex OG, Bugle Boy, 7308 or maybe one of the Siemens tubes. You can also try out a Voskhod Rocket logo tube for cheap.

Also, play around with the gain settings and see if one sounds better to your ears.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5,843 of 8,309
Aug 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,844 of 8,309
  Can i use a RCA to XLR balanced cable like this http://www.adamhall.com/en/ah_Cables_ProCab_Series_REF703_-_Audio_Cable_XLR_male_to_2_x_RCA_male_3_m.html
to connect the Aune T1 to a balanced amp, for a balanced output to something like the nuforce HA-200?

I'd look up how the HA-200's XLR input works to be sure. From my quick reading, I don't think that will work at all. The XLR input and output is for dual mono applications it seems, two amps each taking in a single channel balanced signal.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #5,846 of 8,309
As much as I love my Aune T1.... I find it hard to recommend one to ppl due to issues cropping up. If something goes wrong in my current T1, I'd probably just go out and buy a Odac or Modi. It's a shame really because it's such a great product but schiit QC.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #5,847 of 8,309
As much as I love my Aune T1.... I find it hard to recommend one to ppl due to issues cropping up. If something goes wrong in my current T1, I'd probably just go out and buy a Odac or Modi. It's a shame really because it's such a great product but schiit QC.

The noise went away after changing the tube, the smell's still in my nose though. I'm not leaving this unit alone for a while, don't want my house under fire.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5,848 of 8,309
Was going to recommend you change to change tubes as distorted sounds usually points to a defective/finished tube.

The smell is a bit of a concern. Could still be the tube. I'd suggest opening your windows up and keeping the unit off for a few hours after which you can turn it back on and retest.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,849 of 8,309
  Amperex 7308 if you have the budget. Ebay is your friend if you don't.

All of my tubes have come off Ebay and all of them have performed flawlessly, that is including the 5 tubes in my modded Fender Blues Jr. 

You just have to find a reputable tube seller like greengirl613 (I've bought matching GE EL84's from her) or feelincolorado (bought my Siemens 6992 from him and this tube is a perfect fit).  As long as they are showing test results from something like a B&K 606 DynaJet or Hickok 6000A (these are obviously just random examples of test equipment) and they have a good reputation of selling tubes, you are completely fine.  Hell most online tube stores list their stuff on Ebay also.

There is no reason to pay twice the price for the exact same tube if you can find it on Ebay that much cheaper (as long as what I said above is in place for the sale).

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #5,850 of 8,309

All of my tubes have come off Ebay and all of them have performed flawlessly, that is including the 5 tubes in my modded Fender Blues Jr. 

You just have to find a reputable tube seller like greengirl613 (I've bought matching GE EL84's from her) or feelincolorado (bought my Siemens 6992 from him and this tube is a perfect fit).  As long as they are showing test results from something like a B&K 606 DynaJet or Hickok 6000A (these are obviously just random examples of test equipment) and they have a good reputation of selling tubes, you are completely fine.  Hell most online tube stores list their stuff on Ebay also.

There is no reason to pay twice the price for the exact same tube if you can find it on Ebay that much cheaper (as long as what I said above is in place for the sale).

I definitely agree with that to an extent. My 7308 was off Ebay as well. But there is something to be said about going with a place that rates and tests their tubes in the way they're going to be used. My 7308 has just a liiiiittle bit of fuzz, and I always wonder whether it could have been any better. My next tube I'm going to go for a Telefunken E88CC, and unless I can find it for significantly cheaper, I'm definitely getting it through Upscale Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back