Aune S6 pro / S7 pro combo - fully balanced?
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KOALAxT

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi

I know very little about electrical circuits, balanced vs single-ended topologies etc. so hoping those of you who do know or own the products in question can help me (better) understand. Bear with me here.

Summary:

I recently bought an Aune S6 pro, which as I understand it, is not a full balanced dac/amp. This is at least true for the balanced XLR headphone output at the front of the unit. I know this because I reached out to Aune Audio sales directly (Thanks for the quick response, Candy @ Aune Audio).

Aune S6 pro
http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/443.html

My intention was to pair this with the Aune S7/S7 pro amplifier. Aune did confirm this amp as being fully balanced with all the necessary circuitry to make that claim.

Aune S7 pro
http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/156.html

my question(s) for you all is:

Will pairing the Aune S6 Pro via the independent XLR L/R channels (line out) with the S7 Pro, assuming the S7 does the flipping and decoding of the balanced signal for output via its balanced outs, make this a fully balanced amp/dac combo?

or

Is this still considered a single ended signal (topology?) into a balanced output?

I did follow-up with the same questions for Aune but my concern is that some things may get lost in translation given the language differences.

Light reading on aune s6 ( non pro) and it's innards
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/aune-s6-a-serious-dac-with179488

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Oh awesome. Didn't realize Aune was active on Head-fi. Thanks for the response.

I don't think it matters too much, especially since I am using USB from my pc, but also because I do like the sound signature of the s6 pro w/ the AKM 4497 as is. Furthermore it sounds even better paired with the S7/pro. However, having a fully balanced dac and amp (all in one) would be a a nice touch so I hope you all consider that for the next version.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Hello,
I bought a S7 pro, and i noticed one thing:
I connect it with a dac Topping D70 by xlr cable, and then by rca cable, the sound is powerful... I use a HE560 in balanced mode and a 990pro in jack 6.35 !
And I don't know if my S7pro have a problem but I have to put almost the maximum while with the Cayin IHA6, I'm at 10 o'clok to get the same sound level...
Is it not normal?

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 9
I am the owner of an Aune S6 Pro and Aune S7 Pro stack and trying to connect them both via balanced and unbalanced connections and switching the input button of the S7 Pro I realize that the output power is powerful in unbalanced and to reach the same power in balanced I am forced to increase the knob of the S7 Pro.

Initially I had connected them only in unbalanced and I believed that by switching to the balanced connection I would have obtained more power instead it is the opposite.

I don't know if this is due to the S6 Pro or the S7 Pro, unfortunately I cannot test with other devices. can anyone who owns the same stack confirm this?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 9
How well does the s7 pro pair with the Aune S8 Dac?
I've had them both for a long time, it's a great pair.

Unfortunately, the USB port of the S8 recently failed and I had to send it in for assistance, however it was not possible to repair it and the reseller refunded the full amount.

At the moment I continue to use the S7 Pro with the S6 Pro but in some cases I preferred the S8.
If you can still find it, I recommend you buy it because it's amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back