Aune S6 Pro Owners thread - Discussions/reviews
May 16, 2019 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Head-Fier
I could not find a thread on the Aune S6 Pro, so I thought "I'll just make one" :)

First, a bunch of specs:

Chip: AK4497

Type

DAC with volume
headphone amplifier

inputs

USB 32bit 768kHz / DSD512
COAX: 24bit 768kHz DSD512
OPTICAL
AES

Outputs

XLR 4pin Headset
Jack 6.35mm headset
variable asymmetrical RCA
XLR variable symmetric
Output Level 405mW @ 300 Ohm (XLR)
120mW @ 300 Ohm (6.35)
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz
dynamic range 119dB
SNR 118dB
THD + N @ 1kHz 0. 0005%
Volume Knob Facade Rotary
Dimensions 288x63x211mm

I have had my unit for a few days, and I really like it. I have had both the Aune X1, X1s and X7 before this, and I think Aune makes some great products.

I won't write my impressions just yet, but others should feel free to do so.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 23
Aune s6 pro, excellent product.

I Mostly use my Aune s6 pro with my Hifiman HE4xx headphone and my monitors Adam audio tv5's on my desk setup.

It drives my HE4xx with easy on the 1/4innch headphone output put. HE4xx is pretty fast fun to listen to. The highs, mids and low-end are incredibly fast and punchy to me but I miss the energy. Ill get a balanced xlr 4pin cable next week, I am curious it will power my HE4xx a bit better, I do feel it lacks some energy.

With my T5v's its soooo weird.... they are connected via XLR. They sound super controlled, punch and have way more energy to them than I have experienced before with some other dacs I owned.
They are spacious and wide and push the music into the room. I had NAD D-1050 and Arcam rDac. Booth these dac's are certainly not bad. But comparing them to how i like music... they just very far surpassed by the Aune s6 pro.

Do note I am just an average user with so-called taste audiofile for gear. I am absolutely not an expert. This just me telling what I feel and think when am listening to the Aune s6 pro. Am willing to learn more, to better use words wich maybe make more sense.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 23
I also made a review on the S6 PRO from Aune. I think it is a darn good DAC/AMP, good ergonomics / aesthetics, nice little display at the front, and if you like a wide stage, it does that nicely too.

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/04/aune-s6-pro-dac-balanced-headphone-amp.html

Aune-S6-PRO-DAC-Balanced-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-Surround-Gaming-32-Bit-Flagship-In-Depth-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-11.jpg

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 23
I am considering to purchase the Aune S6 Pro to pair with a Sennheiser HD650 and HD800S.

This thread barely ever took off and seems dead already.

Is this amp just very unpopular or is something wrong with it?

The few reviews I have read seem to be extremely positive.

I am also considering the Topping DX7 pro as they are roughly same price.

Anyway, hoping that some current owners can provide some feedback/opinions?

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 23
I own one and use it with multiple open and closed cans. I don't consider myself a headphone diva,
But have been involved in pro sound in some capacity for decades .

I've used it with the following closed cans: Fostex THX00 , my old D5000s,
E-MU Teaks, ATH-MSR7B High Resolution.

I've used it with open cans like the Focal Elears, Dan Clark Aeons, Mr Speakers fostex based planars, Thie Audio Phantoms, HF 580s

I've used it both balanced and Single Ended. I feel it has given the headphones the opportunity to
Sound as good as they can, and highlighted there individual unique strengths.

I've really enjoyed this piece of gear, and feel it offers great bang for the buck performance.

Oct 3, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 23
Thanks for the feedback Chaswerner, appreciate it.

Honestly I have only heard good things about this amp, not sure why it seems fairly unpopular.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 23
Any others on this? The odd thing is that these aren't too common in the second hand market and little in terms of chatter and reviews. So I suspect that either this unit bombed and had little sales or it sold ok but people aren't willing to let it go.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 23
I replied quite awhile ago, I felt a it merited a long term review in daily use. I feel whoever buys th S6 has little reason to trade or sell it. I have no desire to change it out. It sounds great with any type of headphone. Plenty of power, and I'm used to high SPLs.

I still assemble the Original M&K THX speakers and tripole surrounds with the original Danish drivers. So my home theater is 11.2 with 400 watts per channel. In testing mode I can ensure a speaker is accurate with my calibrated microphone and computer.

I literally had a musician in tears listening to his favorite band on a good 7.1 mix. It felt, not sounded, like you were there. You could feel the bass drum in your chest, hear the giutarist's fingers move, the shimmer of the cymbals, and the highhat click.

Tron2 may not have been a fantastic movie, but my son, who is a computer engineer, visited when his mom was gone. We put on Tron2 at a volume level I'm not allowed to use by my spouse. The sound engineer did a fantastic surround mix throughout the movie, not just a scene here and there like most. We were both blown away.

Anyway, I have been involved in many sound projects with theaters, clubs, bands etc. I have traded out tons of gear, especially audio amps.

I have no interest in swapping the S6 out, and have no problem recommending it.

Sorry for the long rant. I've bought too much over hyped stuff. This unit is not in that category. I don't know of anything else near this price point that I feel competes. I listen to it every night using Amazon HD music with
the headphones in my previous review, and a few more planers and ear buds.

Charlie

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 23
I am owner of an Aune S6 Pro and Aune S7 Pro stack and trying to connect them both via balanced and unbalanced connections and switching the input button of the S7 Pro I realize that the output power is powerful in unbalanced and to reach the same power in balanced I am forced to increase the knob of the S7 Pro.

Initially I had connected them only in unbalanced and I believed that by switching to the balanced connection I would have obtained more power instead it is the opposite.

I don't know if this is due to the S6 Pro or the S7 Pro, unfortunately I cannot test with other devices. can anyone who owns the same stack confirm this?

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 23
I am owner of an Aune S6 Pro and Aune S7 Pro stack and trying to connect them both via balanced and unbalanced connections and switching the input button of the S7 Pro I realize that the output power is powerful in unbalanced and to reach the same power in balanced I am forced to increase the knob of the S7 Pro.

Initially I had connected them only in unbalanced and I believed that by switching to the balanced connection I would have obtained more power instead it is the opposite.

I don't know if this is due to the S6 Pro or the S7 Pro, unfortunately I cannot test with other devices. can anyone who owns the same stack confirm this?
The S6 is not balanced. No use connecting it with your S7 pro viaRCA or XLR(balanced) interlinks. So i do recommand using RCA hence it was build for RCA connection. I do love my S6 pro. But wished for a real balanced dac... I would have not bought it if i knew.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 23
The S6 is not balanced. No use connecting it with your S7 pro viaRCA or XLR(balanced) interlinks. So i do recommand using RCA hence it was build for RCA connection. I do love my S6 pro. But wished for a real balanced dac... I would have not bought it if i knew.
Sorry but this does not make sense, S6 Pro IS BALANCED and not fully balanced like S7 Pro, but does not mean that connecting it in balanced you get a lower output power. Also on my system, the unbalanced connection is subject to ground loop if connected via USB so only the balanced connection allows me to reset the background noise

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 23
Sorry but this does not make sense, S6 Pro IS BALANCED and not fully balanced like S7 Pro, but does not mean that connecting it in balanced you get a lower output power. Also on my system, the unbalanced connection is subject to ground loop if connected via USB so only the balanced connection allows me to reset the background noise

Yes your right. In the end your amp is putting out the power. But not sure how this works.. how can an amp make a real balanced output when is only fed by 1 signal.

So its flipping the signal over de second hot before the amplification or after amplification.

So lets say output of the Aune s6 pro is 2 volt. It wil always give 2 volts to RCA. But when you need to feed an extra hot as in xlr. Voltage can drop or the amperage. In both situations, you lose output watt. Means you S7 pro has less wat to amply, so less volume.
Does this make sense?

**edit** my point of not being real balanced

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back