Aune M2 | AK4490 Dac | Class A amp | Dual Crystek USA Clocks |
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #781 of 824
Hi guys, I am looking for an upgrade for my X10 which has a wierd issue with the sound. Its SQ has been degrading and now only sounds slightly better than a FiiO X1 when it could go toe to toe with my father's Opus #1 Metal edition.

While looking for a suitable replacement, my local audio store told me they were looking to get rid of a few Demo DAPs and two of them were the Aune M2 and M2 Pro. The Aune M2 is being sold for about $220 while the Pro model is going for $350 which seems like a stellar deal to me.

Anyways, i would like to ask about the current status of the M2. Has there been any improvements in terms of its firmware? Are they any issues i need to be aware of before i get the player?

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #784 of 824
I tried 1.41 also. Didn't improve anything (gapless, compatibility etc) that I could tell. And now I don't seem to be able to defeat repeat modes no matter what I do - I like to play a folder and then stop.

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #785 of 824
Hi head-fier, I'd like to ask owners of the M2 some questions: is there any bug with the current firmware, anything major that will leave you frustrated? Can the M2 be used as a DAC/amp for my computer? There's a local listing at quite good a price and I'm seriously considering getting either this or the XDuoo XD05, which is a DAC/amp only

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #786 of 824
Hi guys, I am looking for an upgrade for my X10 which has a wierd issue with the sound. Its SQ has been degrading and now only sounds slightly better than a FiiO X1 when it could go toe to toe with my father's Opus #1 Metal edition.

While looking for a suitable replacement, my local audio store told me they were looking to get rid of a few Demo DAPs and two of them were the Aune M2 and M2 Pro. The Aune M2 is being sold for about $220 while the Pro model is going for $350 which seems like a stellar deal to me.

Anyways, i would like to ask about the current status of the M2. Has there been any improvements in terms of its firmware? Are they any issues i need to be aware of before i get the player?
Demoed a LOT of Daps since that day.

I can say that in the face of all the newer DAP releases, this player is absolute garbage. Not just because of the features, but also in terms of sound.

I ended up getting a Cayin N5ii. Much much cleaner, detailed and transparent sound. Soundstage is also bigger and much deeper with better instrument placement and separation.

For $200 you can get the X3iii that beats the M2 in every sonical aspect except for soundstage.

Theres no longer a point getting the M2 imo unless you need a cheap high power device.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #787 of 824
Demoed a LOT of Daps since that day.

I can say that in the face of all the newer DAP releases, this player is absolute garbage. Not just because of the features, but also in terms of sound.

I ended up getting a Cayin N5ii. Much much cleaner, detailed and transparent sound. Soundstage is also bigger and much deeper with better instrument placement and separation.

For $200 you can get the X3iii that beats the M2 in every sonical aspect except for soundstage.

Theres no longer a point getting the M2 imo unless you need a cheap high power device.
How about the X3? Do you think it holds its own?

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #790 of 824
Xduoo. I had too many bad experiences with Fiio...
Oh it holds up mighty well. Still the best sounding under 100 bucks. It goes toe to toe with the FiiO X3iii in fact.

Not many want to put up with the Xduoo X3's UI though. At least they got the sound right.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #791 of 824
Oh it holds up mighty well. Still the best sounding under 100 bucks. It goes toe to toe with the FiiO X3iii in fact.

Not many want to put up with the Xduoo X3's UI though. At least they got the sound right.

I liked the M2 (sound) over Fiio's X5 3rd gen. Loads ahead of its second gen.

Not sure why the X3iii is in head of the M2 in your book, but I guess we all have different opinions.

I remember when the first gen X5 was getting bucketloads of praise from everyone, as did the E18. I did and still maintain they were the Beats of the community back then. Their X5iii is great now, but I still liked the M2 more in terms of sound. Slap on any high-end IEM and the difference is easy to tell.

Remember this player came a year after Fiio X5 gen 1. It made gen 1 sound laughable.

Now, there's probably better options on the market. Getting a V20 already does the trick for a lot of people, ease of use counts.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #792 of 824
Here is a new firmware 1.41 for Aune M2 - http://tsh-corp.com/home/?page_id=26.
Thank's to a Damned1 from Russian forum.

Thanks @MadFrog for this. Cant wait to try this one. I am glad that Aune is still improving the firmware for M2.

Oh man. Does it fix the gapless? How about number of files visible? Hopefully they expanded on that. Solid player.

I tried 1.41 also. Didn't improve anything (gapless, compatibility etc) that I could tell. And now I don't seem to be able to defeat repeat modes no matter what I do - I like to play a folder and then stop.

I updated to 1.41 it still refuses to play some tracks and the skipping of an entire folder of songs or an audiobook can not be interrupted.

I'm not sure what needs to be done, am I supposed to convert these files into some other format, if so, which software is recommended? Why is it that the M2 can not handle these files but a Zishan Z1 can play them without problem? It also turns itself off even though the option is disabled. Sucks that the player can't remember track position when you turn it back on. Is it possible to downgrade firmware?

Ty :smiley_cat:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #793 of 824
I updated to 1.41 it still refuses to play some tracks and the skipping of an entire folder of songs or an audiobook can not be interrupted.

I'm not sure what needs to be done, am I supposed to convert these files into some other format, if so, which software is recommended? Why is it that the M2 can not handle these files but a Zishan Z1 can play them without problem? It also turns itself off even though the option is disabled. Sucks that the player can't remember track position when you turn it back on. Is it possible to downgrade firmware?

Ty :smiley_cat:
Yes, it is possible to downgrade the firmware. I reverted to (I think) 1.28.
This player doesn't handle certain filenames (containing colons :)) for instance), long file paths (more than 70-ish letters in total IIRC). Also it doesn't tolerate accented characters like é in the filename or the meta-data (track title, artist etc). Replace these letters with the non-accented equivalent and you may have better luck.
Irrespective of names, some files either won't play at all or break up into obnoxious noise part way through. ALAC (m4a) files seem particularly susceptible to this.
If you are willing to re-encode music then you may have better luck with WAV format which supports gapless playback. I have yet to have any problem with mp3 format.
I really wish Aune would open-source their firmware or port Rockbox to use it. I just don't see that they can or will apply enough development resource to make it annoyance free...

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #794 of 824
Yes, it is possible to downgrade the firmware. I reverted to (I think) 1.28.
This player doesn't handle certain filenames (containing colons :)) for instance), long file paths (more than 70-ish letters in total IIRC). Also it doesn't tolerate accented characters like é in the filename or the meta-data (track title, artist etc). Replace these letters with the non-accented equivalent and you may have better luck.
Irrespective of names, some files either won't play at all or break up into obnoxious noise part way through. ALAC (m4a) files seem particularly susceptible to this.
If you are willing to re-encode music then you may have better luck with WAV format which supports gapless playback. I have yet to have any problem with mp3 format.
I really wish Aune would open-source their firmware or port Rockbox to use it. I just don't see that they can or will apply enough development resource to make it annoyance free...

Thanks Richard, I see there is a reset option in the settings menu. Do you use foobar to edit metadata and in order to re-encode? I align with your sentiments about what Aune should('ve) do(ne).

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #795 of 824
Hi guys, M2 PRO on its way, despite the flaws I am intrigued by the SQ It should deliver.

What is the most stable firmware version so far then? 1.28?

In general, a part from formatting in fat32 and naming of files, are there any other quick hints and tipe?

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back