Aune M2 32BIT/DSD Portable music Player
Nov 18, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #46 of 71

What I'm told is that there are three different versions of the M2, as follows:
  1. M2: The “standard” model, with 2x Japanese NDK 2520 crystals.
  2. M2 Pro: With 2x USA Crystek CCHD575 crystals, different OP-amp combination
  3. M2S: Upgrade of M2 Pro. Same spec as M2 Pro, but with different colours (blue is one, and I think there's also a wine-coloured one), and Satellite-level, Teflon PCB substrate.

That's all I know so far. I'm expecting more detailed info from Aune in the next few days about the 3 versions and how they're differentiated.

Oh boy, smells like market expert spirit...M2S is out for me:)

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #47 of 71
  Aune M2 32BIT/DSD Portable Player Coming Soon 

Superb reproduction of the original live event or original recording session
Comfortable for long listening sessions
Versatile with all genres
Your first choice!

ARM+CPLD as the core audio framework
The M2 uses native decoding & asynchronous clock technology from independent R&D. The kernel program took over a year. It’s all about the sound quality.

Five TI chips to constitute the whole power supply system

CPLD technology
The M2 uses high precision clock as the master device, and uses sampling pulse to force synchronizing the WAV data from ARM.  ARM uses pingpong buffer to process the data, and it’s guaranteed the I2S data won’t be interfered by operation or the micro SD card reading. Everything is based on high precision clocks, which leads to the extremely high fidelity!

The M2 uses CRISTEK’s crystal oscillator of which the lowest phase noise can be -170dB. It’s extremely low.
The M2 uses CRISTEK’s crystal oscillator of which the lowest phase noise can be -170dB. It’s extremely low.
The M2 chooses the best clock crystal oscillator, only to pursue the best sound. 

Superb hardware design from experience accumulation
The main board is rationally quartered - equally divided into the power supply part, the digital part, the DAC part and the Amp part. The whole circuit uses high level water flowing type wiring; the analog part is mirror-symmetric; every port is in the closest position. 

Creative design of built-in Amp positive and negative power supply Class A
The Amp part occupies 1/4 of the PCB, which is quite a lot among all the portable players on the market. It uses the structure of the ultra-low distortion Op Amp and 10 discrete transistors. The output uses NPN+PNP geminate transistors. The quiescent current at last stage of each transistor is 15MA. Ultra linear Class A biasing.

Measured values

Noise floor:-117DB/3.01UV

THD+N: 1KHZ 24BIT/44.1K

Amplifier output load: 150Ω  24BIT/44.1K 1KHZ  161MV output THD+N 0.00016%

Amplifier output load: 150Ω  24BIT/44.1K 1KHZ  378MV output THD+N 0.00019%

Amplifier outputload: 150Ω  24BIT/44.1K 1KHZ  897MV output THD+N 0.00033%

Amplifier outputload: 150Ω  24BIT/44.1K 1KHZ  1.5v output THD+N 0.0004%

Excellent tuning

To quote from a review of an aune product, “....really shows you the true nature of what’s on your head.” Each of aune products is designed for the reproduction of the true music. It’s more than just a cold machine. And we always follow the rule that the tuning should bring out the natural and musical sounds, present the real texture of each instrument, and be based on our understanding of music

Part of the tracks used for tuning:
1)From the Drottningholm Music 
2)Try a little tenderness 
3)Allegretto con variazoni 
4)Sonate, Finale: Vivo 
5)Circo della vita 
6)Played twice 
7)Winin' boy blues 
8)Sweet Georgia Brown 
9)Allegro di Molto 
10)Concertino for clarinet and string orch; Homage a Mozart 
11)House of the rising sun 
12)Zigeunerweisen 
13)Stompin' at the Savoy 
14)Concertino for double bass and string orch; Ballad 
15)Erstrand, Lars 
16)ornbergs Blue Five, Tomas 

Part of the chief tuner’s comments on 2 songs (All Rights Reserved):

Try a Little Tenderness is a piano recording stressing the recording quality and musical taste. The audio engineer is a two-time recording award winner, and he was responsible for both recording and mixing for this song. It was recorded in a jazz bar. If you have been on such occasions, you should know how direct and vivid the recording is. The piano is crystal clear yet solid, as if you could see it. In the meanwhile, the drum brush is also as clear as if it was in the same room with you. The cymbal is soft and open along with the melody. Jazz is a genre that contains a lot of improvisation and grooves. Therefore, the kit that matches it the best should be able to bring out the wood texture of the piano which plays the main melody, and not lose the shininess and fluency of the notes. Moreover, the player’s humming along with the music should also be well represented by the kit, so that the listener can feel the atmosphere and infection of the jazz bar to the most.

House of the Rising Sun is sung by Cyndee Peters, a wellknown female artist in Sweden. She was invited several times to perform for both the Royal Family of Sweden and Pope John Paul II. Nelson Mandela was also one of her fans. House of the Rising Sun, adapted from a late-19th century song of black people, describes the hard life of the poor people in New Orleans. The arrangement uses percussion instruments with good transient, so it’s easy to place them on the sound stage. The sax solo should be found a bit ahead of other instruments. At the beginning of the song, the listener is supposed to hear the bell and cymbal coming out respectively from the left and the right side of the sound stage, with their bright and sleek timbre. The sound must be bright and airy, and not too hard or incisive. Back to Cyndee Peters’ singing, her voice and her method of voice production are very special. The explosive power of her voice along with the percussion instruments builds the rich and deep sound stage, and also expresses the emotions in the song very well, which should be clearly felt during playback.

Specifications:
Weight:185g
Dimensions:65*125*17.5(mm)
Transmission medium: Micro SD card (supports up to 128G)
Amp output: 3.5mm port/2VRMS  16-300Ω   32Ω/125MW
Line out: 3.5mm port
Core decoding chip: MCU AK4490
Digital output: MINI HDMI/supports (supports M2 exclusive dock)
Battery: 3200MA (charging takes around 4h)
Battery life: 7h
Main controls: volume control wheel (turn/press/press&hold)+buttons
Accessories: USB charging cable+user’s manual
Supported format:
WAV : 16bit|24bit|- 44.1K / 48K / 88.2K / 96K / 176.4K / 192K  (32BIT/96K)  WAV + CUE
FLAC : 16bit|24bit- 44.1K / 48K / 88.2K / 96K / 176.4K / 192K    CUE (0-8compression level)
APE:16BIT/44.1K   APE + CUE(basically NORMAL)
DSD:  DSF / DSD64 - DFF /DSD64  /ISO (whole track)
MP3, M4A, ALAC

(First, sorry about my poor english) 

@Auneaudio 

Hi, 

Some questions about the M2: 

-Is a USB DAC function planned in the future? 
-What are the languages available for the UI? 
-When it will be available for Europe? 

Thanks a lot.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #48 of 71

(First, sorry about my poor english) 

@Auneaudio 

Hi, 

Some questions about the M2: 

-Is a USB DAC function planned in the future? 
-What are the languages available for the UI? 
-When it will be available for Europe? 

Thanks a lot.

Hello , thanks for that , about this questions , sorry ,right now it do not have the USB DAC function , about this function in the future may be , but not now , about UI , right now ,only Chinese and English , but UI can change if we have  characters , M2  will sell around 20th , Dec , thanks 

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Dec 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #49 of 71
Aune M2 review is up HERE. Sorry it took some time, but with firmware developing over time, I was waiting for some kinks to be ironed out. M2 is still not perfect, but is getting close to prime-time-ready. Sound is superb (that's something Aune always seems to get right). Enjoy.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #50 of 71
A couple of updates to my review posted yesterday. Added the following to the review this evening after some emails from Aune:

RE. Digital Out: Aune are currently working on an external docking connect through the Mini HDMI port, which will bring digital output capabilities (Coax, AES, I2S, etc.) via a receiver module to high end DAC.

RE. Battery LifeAune states that the M2 is Class A music player, with voltage greater than 500MA, and that a compromise had to be made between a Class A/B device with 8 hours of playing time, and Class A with 6.5 hours. The decision was made to sacrifice playing time for better sound quality. With daily charging, 6.5 hours battery life should be enough for regular use, and external power packs can be used to extend this if necessary. Several hours later I got another another update saying that the battery life on the production models has been upped to 7.5+ hours. Not clear yet if that's a FW tweak, or if they've done something with hardware.

Good news nonetheless, and part of the fun (?) of reviewing pre-production models.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #51 of 71
  Hello , thanks for that , about this questions , sorry ,right now it do not have the USB DAC function , about this function in the future may be , but not now , about UI , right now ,only Chinese and English , but UI can change if we have  characters , M2  will sell around 20th , Dec , thanks 

Dear AuneAudio,
but could you advise which is more or less the probability (50/50?) that this function will be available in future (in future - i.e. in one year or several months?).
Looking for a new DAP, and this function is quite important ( I think not only for me) and lack of this function will stop a lot of potential suppliers in my opinion.
If it could be possible to have a confirmation that this function could be implemented in some months I think you could increase a lot persons who would wish to have it (I understand that even now you have a lot of M2 lovers, but...)
Really appreciate your reply and I have a couple of weeks to decide with which one to proceed - M2 Pro, or go on with other DAPs with a little bit worse sound but with USB DAC function

Users who are viewing this thread

Back