Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Dec 2, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #1,966 of 1,991
Just to add guys, M1s is very transparent. Compared to the mojo, it is very revealing. Mojo for me is very dynamic with the low end emphasised.

Compared with the new DAPs, it still holds its own. It was designed for one thing - to precisely reproduce. No EQ, no coloration whatsoever. It's more precise that my X7ii.

It's pretty powerful too, especially the balanced out. It powers the Tin Audio P1 well thru the 2.5mm.

Hope this helps.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,968 of 1,991
Hi , i just got aune m1s today and wondered , will i still get the benefits of 2.5mm if i use an adapter? (3.5mm to 2.5mm) as i read older posts people say 2.5mm offers better clarity .

It won't as the adapter (if it works properly) will translate the balanced output to single ended and you might just as well play it safe and use the 3.5mm output.

Generally using a adapter from a balanced output to single ended headphones (cables) are risky business and should be avoided. As a minimum you should be 100% as the person who made the adapter knows what they're doing. As a rule of thumb I'd stay away from it as it might damage your source and, in worst case, your headphones as well.

Adapters that makes it possible to use balanced cables with single ended output on the other hand are much safer.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,969 of 1,991
It won't as the adapter (if it works properly) will translate the balanced output to single ended and you might just as well play it safe and use the 3.5mm output.

Generally using a adapter from a balanced output to single ended headphones (cables) are risky business and should be avoided. As a minimum you should be 100% as the person who made the adapter knows what they're doing. As a rule of thumb I'd stay away from it as it might damage your source and, in worst case, your headphones as well.

Adapters that makes it possible to use balanced cables with single ended output on the other hand are much safer.
Thanks i don't really want to buy another cable just to use the 2.5mm port of this DAP , is there another solution?

If not i'm very okay with using 3.5mm though!!! i think it should sounds nice on both outputs

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,970 of 1,991
Thanks i don't really want to buy another cable just to use the 2.5mm port of this DAP , is there another solution?

If not i'm very okay with using 3.5mm though!!! i think it should sounds nice on both outputs
What will you be running with the Aune? Full sized headphones, IEMs? The balanced gets you more headroom, if power is an issue. Also.... I think it sounds better, but that’s me.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,971 of 1,991
What will you be running with the Aune? Full sized headphones, IEMs? The balanced gets you more headroom, if power is an issue. Also.... I think it sounds better, but that’s me.
just some iems at the moment my friend!
i think power is no problem but because most guys here said balanced output does sound better so indeed i do want to get the very best from this DAP :)

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,972 of 1,991

You can get a nice balanced cable for your IEM's for $10 and some patience (long shipping time) if you buy it from Aliexpress. If not I'm sure you'll be happy with the 3.5mm output as well, it's a very solid DAP.

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,973 of 1,991
You can get a nice balanced cable for your IEM's for $10 and some patience (long shipping time) if you buy it from Aliexpress. If not I'm sure you'll be happy with the 3.5mm output as well, it's a very solid DAP.
Hi ! You were right bro , i finally got to try it with my iems and 3.5mm sounds just fine enough for me , though i may still buy another 2.5mm cable just for the sake of curiosity :)

But i have an issue with this DAP , how do you sort or navigate your music? I have all of my daily songs in a folder BUT this thing doesn't organize it from A to Z , making it very difficult to find any specific songs :frowning2:

Edit : Does anyone here know how to mark a song as favorite? I tried pressing buttons but nothing worked

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,974 of 1,991
Hi ! You were right bro , i finally got to try it with my iems and 3.5mm sounds just fine enough for me , though i may still buy another 2.5mm cable just for the sake of curiosity :)

But i have an issue with this DAP , how do you sort or navigate your music? I have all of my daily songs in a folder BUT this thing doesn't organize it from A to Z , making it very difficult to find any specific songs :frowning2:

Edit : Does anyone here know how to mark a song as favorite? I tried pressing buttons but nothing worked

Hold the up button while a song is playing. Hold the down button to cycle through the 3 different sound filter modes (slow, mp, fast).

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,975 of 1,991
If anyone's still curious about this DAP in 2020 , i've been using it for almost 6 months now and i'd like to share my opinion here about M1S (gonna use check marks as a mean to agree with the characteristics often reviewed/discussed across the internet). I'll focus on sound quality and sound quality only.

Probably not the blackest/cleanest background in a DAP that i've heard , but there's no audible humming noises nor annoying hissing sounds when a sensitive pair of IEM (andromeda , i'm lookin at ya) is plugged in. This sounds like something that should have been a rule of thumb when making modern DAPs , but good lawd have mercy , you'll be surprised by the number of DAPs that failed to achieve it.

-"great transparency/technical aspects" : ✓ .... Maybe?
It's there , the applauded transparency people were talking about , the ability to separate different sounds and instruments in a song , building up a better , more layered presentation.....It's definitely there , but i think it's just not as great as what i've read , and there's still room for vital improvements in departments such as resolution and textures.....

-Neutral/Uncolored/Balanced Sound Signature : ✓
Not much to say about this , it's not warm , it's not leaning to either a darker or brighter tone , it's not boosting any specific frequency range to great extension. Trivially when i sent this DAP to a few groups of local audiophiles for a brief evaluation some said it has a "distinctive tonality" and a rather "strange color" , maybe it is the contrast in sound between M1S and their own DAPs?

-Driveability/Power : ✓
As a dumb DAP , beside the unorthodox aesthetic and great sound quality , power output is a winsome factor to compensate for it's obvious setbacks in user experience and sometimes it can even be the USP to charm potential customers and lighten their wallet. M1S is able to drive most IEMs , and to some extent , on-ears and few "portables" headphones (such as koss porta pro , akg k420 , some grados in my case).

TL/DR : I think it's a fine DAP for IEMs and some light-duty headphones/earbuds , it might be a bit too highly praised , but it's definitely an overlooked option that many people aren't even aware of it's existence in this price range.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #1,977 of 1,991
TL/DR : I think it's a fine DAP for IEMs and some light-duty headphones/earbuds , it might be a bit too highly praised , but it's definitely an overlooked option that many people aren't even aware of it's existence in this price range.

I'm not sure what a new M1s goes for nowadays but I think the easiest assessment to make is that at this current point in time it is really outdated in terms of features. The balanced and lineout outputs are really nice but the UI is poor, no touchscreen, no color display, no album art. Can't say how it compares in terms of sound to say a Hiby R3 but the R3 has tons of features and functionality (BT, Wi-Fi, LDAC, MQA) over the M1s that I don't think it's worth considering any longer.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #1,978 of 1,991
I'm not sure what a new M1s goes for nowadays but I think the easiest assessment to make is that at this current point in time it is really outdated in terms of features. The balanced and lineout outputs are really nice but the UI is poor, no touchscreen, no color display, no album art. Can't say how it compares in terms of sound to say a Hiby R3 but the R3 has tons of features and functionality (BT, Wi-Fi, LDAC, MQA) over the M1s that I don't think it's worth considering any longer.
It's true bro , i was only describing sound quality department , other than that , build & aesthetic is subjective , but user-experience and features.....those two don't exist in M1S. Sound wise i think i would prefer M1S over HiBy R3 but it's been a long time since i tried it , and back then i did not have this dummy bricky DAP yet.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,979 of 1,991
It's true bro , i was only describing sound quality department , other than that , build & aesthetic is subjective , but user-experience and features.....those two don't exist in M1S. Sound wise i think i would prefer M1S over HiBy R3 but it's been a long time since i tried it , and back then i did not have this dummy bricky DAP yet.

Haven't had m1s but agree R3 is awesome for functionality, not so much for sound (though to the general point I guess there are probably options that have both functionality & SQ). I think something to be said for "dumb bricky DAPs" too - sometimes a basic (or even screenless) interface affects my listening habits in interesting ways.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,980 of 1,991
i agree , aesthetic and functionality appeared to have an impact in my overall experience as well haha , and nowadays maybe beside software issues or questionable build quality/durability i think many DAPs are good enough in different aspects to be considered . I just happen to have a soft spot for DAPs that don't look too modern or phone-like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back