Aune M1, powerful WAV player
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #76 of 95
  Guys I managed to update firmware to V3.0. Sound did improve quite a bit, sound stage is more open, sound is less direct and more expansive, balance has improved. I'm actually glad I have this little dap, I sold DX90 but I ain't selling this, heh.

Hi 
I have lost my download of the firmware and its no longer on the website any chance you can send me a copy - Thanks

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #79 of 95
I just followed the instructions I posted on the previous page and it was straight forward enough to update to firmware V3 despite being mostly in Chinese haha.

There is two big downfall's to this dap:

1) It has hardware bass roll off.
2) Bucket loads of power, 700mW@32Ω, Coupled with a cheap analog volume pot means many iems and even headphones are going to be subject to imbalance at low and even medium volume.

Basically these are the only fault's as far as sound goes imo, they are quite major faults, I couldn't use this as my only dap, but nonetheless it sounds great, it's audio processing quality easily surpasses daps like DX90 imo. It is just let down by the strange decision to roll of bass and use a cheap volume pot. Both of these issues would be possible to fix with DIY modification.

If you use the digital out of the dap it negates the issues above, and you are left with one hell of a digital source, it best's daps that cost 6x as much, and yes, digital out's do sound different, completely different, if you can't hear this then your DAC, amp, or Hp's are not up to scratch, I use a NAD M51 DAC, and digital sources sound completely different through it, just as different dacs and amps do.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #80 of 95
Thanks a lot for the firmware, but I still don't quite understand the updating process.

What is this talk about ARM software? Seems the connection is working, but how can I start the actual update process?
https://s32.postimg.org/6godgh55v/4354.png

When I install the USB port driver (part 1) nothing happens, I guess this is normal?

Can't really understand a word from the part 2.. 

Also, I guess it's normal I have to use card reader to transfer the files, device is not showing as removable storage?

So v3 is still the latest?

Just got this and I love the bass and everything, it's missing some fine details though, I hope this improves with burn in (and firmware). My M1 arrived with damaged screen, waiting for refund. :/

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #81 of 95
Successfully updated to V3.0, had to press stop-button while switching on.. 

Might be placebo or small burn in, but does sound even better now. 
smile.gif

Pic of the screen, can't see battery information at all. http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/UT83xUZXCxaXXagOFbXm.jpg

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #83 of 95
Thats how it arrived.. there is no any damage outside, so I guess it's been there since manufacturing.

Seller wants me to send it back, but im not gonna. Aune told me they don't care, because "sorry , we do not have M1 for sale about more than 2  years" And I believe it came out 1.5 years ago? lol.

I don't know if it can be fixed, probably not, I tried to open the screws, but the front ones are not moving at all with my tools.

Also, there is now some blue glow in some parts of the edge of the damage, which made me think it might fix itself with heating, but nah, today I heated it very well but no improvement (it gets very hot when charging battery).

This is my first proper DAP and it sounds great, but im still a bit disappointed with the lack of micro details compared to my Yulong U100. There is much more bass though. Also it sounds pretty coloured, and often a bit "out of sync", that I have never experienced before, but im not sure if all that is a pro or a minus.

I might get Fiio X5 II or similar next year.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #86 of 95
Came across the M1 after searching for Wolfson chipped players (thanks to the AK Jr's impressive sound).

Wav only (similar to the Tera Player; better sound through simplicity) got my attention too. Most of my files were already wavs (for my old dap) and I only switched to flac because of players (like my now discharged Pono) with no folder support that needed tagged files.

I know the M1 comes stock with the PCM1793 but specs showed the WM8741 as an option. Aune never made any official dac/amp swaps but I found this "Module Choir?" card which appears to have a CS4398 chip:
http://www.taodepot.com/item/40367662569

Thinking of getting an M1 and was hoping someone here might know where I can get the Wolfson chip/card. There was mention of a user on erji.net with a Wolfson chipped M1 but my search came up empty.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #87 of 95
I don't think there ever was a wm8741 board made, I saw one guy modded his with wm8741, although it doesn't look easy. As complete boards only the stock board and that choir board out there.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #88 of 95
Thanks for the reply.

The Burr Brown is no slouch either. I know CS bought out Wolfson and their chips aren't really the same as far as a house sound though.

Still think I'll try the M1, update the FW (you said the sound improved with v3.0), and maybe get the choir board later. 

I'll be using it mostly with an external hybrid amp but there isn't a true line out and my amp distorts whenever line input gets close to 2V (keep my AK Jr. around 70 out of 75 volume). Any chance the M1's crazy power output could be an issue?

Also, isn't there a way to bypass the amp stage completely since it's on a daughterboard?

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #89 of 95
The M1 is very powerful but shouldn't be a problem to lower vol until your amp is happy, or get the Choir board which has a proper line out. The distortion your getting might be more to do with double amping than the amp not handling 2v input which is pretty standard for line out.

You can bypass the amp stage with the coaxial digital out which stock board has (still goes through the secondary board only because that's where they placed the jack, no other reason). Or by pass the amp stage with the Choir board which has a line out instead of digital out.

Edit: The Choir board is out of stock and no longer made, they just haven't taken it down from that website, but they have taken it off Taobao long ago which is the primary source.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #90 of 95

Thanks again for all the info.

Didn't know the choir board had a line out instead of coax (which I rarely use; was hard to tell exact specs from the translation). Now I'd prefer it but may be difficult to find since that listing is no good.

Figured double amping wasn't helping but no other option with the Jr. (its line out mode just maxes the volume). True line out was another feature I was looking for but Wolfson daps are fewer and fewer nowadays.

Only dap I found with both the WM8741 and line out is the Hum Pervasion. But it lacks nav buttons, is more like a standard Android device (more bloat), and would be twice the cost of the M1+choir board. Hard to resist the M1 since I can't afford the Tera Player (though M1 has a screen to better navigate) but the Hum may be a better choice. Might be able to run Poweramp Alpha and stream to it (assuming other apps can access the Wolfson chip).

EDIT: Despite the weird name I'm looking at the Hum now. My Lars Ivan amp has 4-pole pass-through so I may be able to use my in-line remotes for navigation. Also appears to have some good internals (decent capacitors, LPF, TXCO crystal; only looks like a regular android device from the front).
http://www.hum.hk/pervasion/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back