Aune DAC-X1
Dec 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

New Head-Fier
I can't find alot of info on this product, but it looks very interesting.
http://en.auneaudio.com/html/2011/X-Series_0831/10.html

Where would be the best place to buy it in Europe?

I want to use it with analog inputs (just as an HP-amp) and with USB inputs (as a DAC + HP-amp). Can I connect both at the same time and select the input while "hot"?

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 18
If you turn to hoved-fi.dk - It s possible to participate on a loaner programme. :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 18
@RikHouben

Just picked up the Aune X1, and I'm definitely a fan.  To answer your question, yes.  There is two buttons on the device.  The first selects between 4 inputs (USB, Optical, Coaxial, and Line In).  The second button selects output (p-line out, line out).  Selecting between p-line out and line out doesn't shut off the headphones, but as I understand it, it allows for volume control on line out.  Still need to verify this. :)

Cheers!

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 18
so their is a buttom on the x1 to cancel the volume control if its used as only a dac, not as a headphone amp?

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
@RikHouben

Just picked up the Aune X1, and I'm definitely a fan.  To answer your question, yes.  There is two buttons on the device.  The first selects between 4 inputs (USB, Optical, Coaxial, and Line In).  The second button selects output (p-line out, line out).  Selecting between p-line out and line out doesn't shut off the headphones, but as I understand it, it allows for volume control on line out.  Still need to verify this. :)

Cheers!

What headphones are you using & could you post a more detailed review?  I got lost on the Aune website, but this ebay seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUNE-24bit-192K-X1-DAC-headphone-amp-preamp-USB-DAC-WM8805-PCM1793-USB-coxia-/140627630983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be0f5b87 shows it as 24/192 via s/pdif, but only 16bit USB.  Can you confirm?

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 18
You are correct 16 bit USB, 24/192 on coax and optical.

Try my link in my earlier post, it should not be a problem to read via google translate, but translate into english it gets a bit strange if you try other languages..

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 18
I just received the Aune X1 DAC this morning, managed to listen to it for 15 minutes before going to work. Plugged it quickly in over USB and used a stabilized adapter I had lying at home (14 V, 800 mA) since the default wallwart would hog up to much space and had the wrong connection.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed compared to my Zero DAC (old version without USB) and Behringer SRC2496 was how widened the soundstage was. I have always liked the soundstage on my Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250 Ohm) but the Aune X1 really made them sound bigger and more spacious. It also packed a nice punch, playing more powerful than the Zero. And this was during the first 15 minutes :) During my waiting time for the Aune to arrive from China, I listened to some music comparing FLAC and 320 kbps for the same songs and was a bit disappointed in my self for having difficulties hearing any difference, thinking to my self "why do I waste money on things if I can't here the difference...". So my initial expectations was not to hear any difference at all compared to the Zero, so I was a bit shocked, putting a big smile on my face because of how good it sounded. I will say though that it sounded a bit brittle and harsh, but only veeery slightly, and this could be because of the more detailed sound I was not used to, or the lack of burn in. 

The widened soundstage gives me hope to actually like my Grado SR225, since I have always hated the "in my head" presentation, placing them in the box they came in most of the time.

I have also a couple of Beyerdynamic DT 150 on their way, and after reading about their sound signature I am looking forward to listen to them with the Aune X1 DAC. Music I listened to during my brief testing was some Meshuggah, Arcangelo Corelli and Frank Sinatra, so quite a mix of music :) 

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 18
For those of you who own an X1 already, have you noticed any problems with left/right balance when playing music at low levels? One of the things I plan to do with this DAC is to use it as a preamp for my stereo system which has a massively powerful power amplifier attached to it which makes it sound very clean but tends to make any problems in the preamp's volume pot really stand out!

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 18
I have some problems at very low level, about 7/7.30 on the clock scale which is the very beginning of the turn (but this is in no way loud enough to listen to), but i listen mostly between 8 and 9 and have no problems.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 18
The problem is because it uses a linearpotentiometer it is not the best in the lower regions and the amp has so much punch that one never goes to the middle where it is much better..
My solution is to turn down the PCs volumen control so that I get more room for play..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back