1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Auditioning headphones in the UK?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by studmuffin, Nov 16, 2011.
  1. Studmuffin
    Simple question from a newbie:

I've made mistakes buying cans on recommendation alone (Denon AH D2000's for example - not my taste at all).

So everyone says "try before you buy" - but where?

Ideally I'm looking for a dealer in the Midlands UK where I can listen to a good selection of mid priced models in a single day.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

2. alanbeeb
    I too wish they people who say "try before you buy" would say where.    I suspect they didn't either, because in 20+ yrs of hanging round hifi shops in the the UK, I've yet to find one that has a decent selection of headphones to audition.

3. kingpage
    Most headphone audition stores are located in Asian regions. You'd be lucky to find one in the entire UK. Wait for meets.

4. J0nny

Quote:

Hey alan, you live in Edinburgh right? What about http://www.advancedheadphones.co.uk?

5. fabio-fi

Quote:

Or you can organize a meet with another Uk head-fier's. 

6. Hughkk
    lucky that i live in Asia.
    Too many headphones for me to try out, it gonna take ages.

7. alanbeeb

Quote:

Last time I looked, their "retail store" was a concession stand in an aisle of a shopping mall.  They might possibly have a few teenager-oriented glam cans to try out but not anything we'd be interested in.

8. J0nny
    Thats a shame. They could have real potential. Well, maybe not actually, considering that from the 1 year I've been an audiophile, it's now apparent to me that Scotland has an absurdly high percentage of people who just don't care.

9. YorkshireBloke
    Does anyone know where (if) I can audition some high end I.E.M's in a store in the north of England?  Preferably Yorkshire.

If im spending more than £500 on a set I want to try before I buy.

Thanks