AudioValve RKV II - Does Anyone Still Own One?
Jan 1, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #31 of 37
I'm tonnes of gear removed from my days with the RKV Mk II (bone stock), but it was my first tube amp and I still have fond memories. It was quite lovely with the HD600 and 650. Not great transparency, as Purk mentioned, but warm and lush - with power behind it - like few others. The RKV was a charmer while it was going for $1.2K new and < $1K used (under $700 for a while), but I can't see any justification to the current price level. The choice of op-amp followed by tubes was certainly interesting; hard to find anything else like it.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #32 of 37
Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs.  You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better. It's a bit on the warm side of things, but has a huge soundstage with the HD-800s and sounds magnificent with them. I never got around to upgrading the power supply caps unfortunately.  If someone were to DIY the design (which has been done, with permission from the designer from what I gather) then a better power supply would make a considerable difference I reckon. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the price of them now has to do with shipping, as they come with a considerable amount of brass in the feet and knobs. Indeed, below $1k they are very good value, and with the impedenzer quite flexible.  I used mine with a pair of Paradigm Titans in near field which was lovely. Ultimately though, the rather flimsy circuit board and lack of ultimate detail in the music resulted in me selling mine.  I sometimes miss it though.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #33 of 37

Quote:
Search the forums, there's a thread with details about upgrading the OPAMPs.  You need to put a compensation cap on the OPA627s and 827s, but the result is much better.

This is exactly what I am looking for days, but I have not found this post ! unless I made a mistake with the search... please give me the URL if you know it .. Many thanks

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #34 of 37

Quote:
 Ultimately though, the rather flimsy circuit board and lack of ultimate detail in the music resulted in me selling mine.  I sometimes miss it though.

Yup, such a sweet sound that has an ability to mask many irritating flaws in mediocre recordings, is a virtue often realized after its gone.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #35 of 37
Go to Advanced Search, and search for Audiovalve, but select only thread titles.  You'll find it.
smile.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #36 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back