AudioValve LUMINARE & VERTO : for Stax headphones and for all dynamic headphones
Apr 23, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #331 of 352

That "crap" (as you tell elegantly) was present at the meeting in Geeseke (Germany)(*), at the CanJam SoCal (California) and will soon be present at the HIGH END in Munich (Germany).

I was referring to the universal nature of the amplifier. not the amplifier itself.

You will never see a company like viva do a universal amplifier.
Of this I am sure.  But they could do an electrostatic amp with 8 x 845 power tubes.
That would be wonderful.

major edit, its 8 power tubes, not 4. same as megatron.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #332 of 352
Amplifier viva egoista is my best experience in electrodynamics amplification in recent years with a similar tone EC Balancing Act With tube KR PX4 but going further on all points.
So yes sir Gilmort prefer best for these measures a Headamp GSX
smile_phones.gif
but egoista really up another level.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #334 of 352

What do you know?

Even for 20K USD?

It is a technical challenge for the one who gives the means to design and built a universal amplifier without compromise.

Otherwise, for only 10K USD, I would imagine well, Viva, commercialize a replica of the 845 DHT electrostatic amp, designed by Frank Cooter, for the delight of the fanatics of Stax headphones ; unless this is achieved by the company Stax (or Eddie Current?) or any audio company which embarks on this innovative way, and oh how rewarding for the future happy owners.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #335 of 352
  I was referring to the universal nature of the amplifier. not the amplifier itself.

Of this I am sure.  But they could do an electrostatic amp with 8 x 845 power tubes.
That would be wonderful.

major edit, its 8 power tubes, not 4. same as megatron.

What kind of man only uses two 845's in a headphone amp?

EIGHT !!!! I like that!

Go big or go home!

Of course these 845's will need appropriate drivers. It could be done "Sakuma style" with 845's employed as drivers as well as outputs.

If somebody wants to front me $50k, I'll happy to build it for next years CanJam.

Of course I'll need my own dedicated room along with a moving van and crew.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #336 of 352
Viva also manufactures speakers and none are electrostatic. Asking their interest in electrostatic technology is always possible but consider that Egoista is a headphone adapted Solistino they designed for speakers (design, chassis). I'm not sure they would create a new amp. Other high level tube amp manufacturers could follow this way: Charlin could build one derivated from its 845 mono.

On another side, electrostatic became successful (Orpheus Sen) because of the limited sound quality of dynamic headphones. But looking at actual production with Planars like Abyss and perhaps HE1000 (or Fischer Audio/Kennerton Odin) is electrostatic still a way to follow ??
We could ask us if planar technology isn't the future of headphones ?? An Egoista+Abyss doens't go far far away from the impressive 845 F Cooper (or acclaimed BHSE) + SR009 ??

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #337 of 352

Viva only does dynamic headphones. That means you will never buy it.

You are right, because to buy a Viva Egoista, you must have at least one Abyss; and to have a Abyss, you must first pay 6,000 Euros in Europe. I could (I earn one’s living correctly as a medical doctor), but I now have other priorities a little less "Egoista", like .... (see this link for the explanation: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178513343.html#p178513343)

Know that to spend 10,000 Euros (Price: C$14,900) for an amplifier, I've done it a few years ago with the very impressive and heavy (35 kg) amplifier Audiomat Recital Mk2 (2 x 80 Watt in pure Class A with 8 tubes KT88 http://www.mutine.com/Fiches/Mutine_Fiche_Audiomat_Recital_En.pdf
and http://www.mutine.com/Bancs/Banc_Audiomat_Recital_UHF_73_En.pdf )
for my old Hi-Fi system
 ; this amplifier (and the speakers) has since been given freely to a musician friend ...

Now, I listen only headphones (Stax SR-009 and Audeze LCD-3 F), with the universal amplifier system (designed by the Dr. Becker) that you enjoy so much ... 
wink.gif

Eric

May 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #340 of 352

What do you know?

Even for 20K USD?

It is a technical challenge for the one who gives the means to design and built a universal amplifier without compromise.

Otherwise, for only 10K USD, I would imagine well, Viva, commercialize a replica of the 845 DHT electrostatic amp, designed by Frank Cooter, for the delight of the fanatics of Stax headphones ; unless this is achieved by the company Stax (or Eddie Current?) or any audio company which embarks on this innovative way, and oh how rewarding for the future happy owners.

For information,

Amedeo (Viva) works since a certain time on an special version of the Egoista amp (845 DHT) for the Stax SR009.

To be continued ... (see on HCFR)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178540568.html#p178540568

May 24, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #341 of 352
For KG,

Well, I would imagine in the near future a very special version of Viva Egoista with 3 different outputs:

- Speakers (8 Ohms)
- Ortho and electrodynamics headphones (up 15 Watt)
- Electrostatic headphones (particularly the Stax SR-009)

A universal amplifier (with output transformers) without compromise.

Mr. Becker (AudioValve) was right to open this way (for a democratic price).

With even less compromise, others may follow also (Viva?) for the greatest happiness of lovers headphones and beautiful music (and beautiful amps).

May 24, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #342 of 352
  For KG,

Well, I would imagine in the near future a very special version of Viva Egoista with 3 different outputs:

- Speakers (8 Ohms)
- Ortho and electrodynamics headphones (up 15 Watt)
- Electrostatic headphones (particularly the Stax SR-009)

A universal amplifier (with output transformers) without compromise.

Speakers (8 ohms)
ortho etc

without a transformer. 

eric you clearly do not understand.

845 may be a great and powerful tube, and wonderful for direct drive electrostatic,
but it cannot drive low impedances without a transformer.

with a special transformer, sure no problem. And closer to 60 watts.

kgsshv-carbon actually tested today driving transformer in reverse.
Good for about 9 watts into 50 ohms.

May 24, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #343 of 352
I say : " with output transformers without compromise " (for the Viva 845 DHT amp) and not "without transformers"

For the Viva prototype for a electrostatic headphone (SR-009), the Frank Cooter 845 DHT amp (for Stax headphone) that use output transformers is an example that can inspire others designers.

May 24, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #344 of 352
that is what I get for continuing to use an ipad

BUT  transformers are clearly a compromise
and in some cases a really bad compromise.

a OTL electrostatic using 845's would not be a compromise.

May 25, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #345 of 352
  that is what I get for continuing to use an ipad

BUT  transformers are clearly a compromise
and in some cases a really bad compromise.

a OTL electrostatic using 845's would not be a compromise.

The transformers are certainly a compromise, but in this particular case with the headphone Stax SR-009, are an excellent compromise giving a more enjoyable listening (and appreciated) "more musical" compared to a electrostatic OTL amplifiers "direct drive" (without output transformers) like the SRM 007t 2 (compared with the Luminare amp) and like the BHSE (compared with the Frank Cooter's amplifier 845 DHT seen in the last CanJam)

Eric

PS: Viva, to be emulated (perhaps ?) (for the color of its amplifiers);
a Luminare "Red Ferrari" will it please you? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back