Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 + microphone - is it possible without an additional preamp?
Dec 12, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Thai Fighter

100+ Head-Fier
I've read that the HD2 offers better SQ than the Prodigy 7.1. I need it mainly for stereo listening, however I would also like to use a microphone every now and then to communicate via skype. I can't find any information about the ability of the HD2 to work with a microphone, therefore I'm still not sure which of these two cards to choose...

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 9
The AudioTrak HD2 doesn't have an official microphone input, but you may be able to use the analog input with a microphone as long as the mic doesn't require phantom power. In other words, it will need to be a cheap computer microphone.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 9
That is exactly what I intend to use. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 9
D'oh, I just discovered that true mic inputs have significantly more gain than the line input will be able to provide. You might be able to get by if you significantly amplify the signal in software, but the SNR will be bad.

So, the Prodigy HD2 doesn't have a usable mic input. Sorry for the misinformation.
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, it's too late anyway. I've already ordered it. I'll have to find a way to deal with this issue...

The upgrade'able opamps are an extremely appealing feature.
Is it possible to replace the headphone amp's opamp?

@infinitesymphony, I think that I would buy the HD2 even knowing that it doesn't have an usable mic input. Maybe it will be possible to use two cards simultaneously (the HD2 and my integrated Realtek ALC655). It doesn't always have to lead to hardware conflicts, does it?

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thai Fighter
Maybe it will be possible to use two cards simultaneously (the HD2 and my integrated Realtek ALC655).

Yes, that should be possible. Just remember to select the HD2 as the default audio source.

It sounds to me like all of the op-amps can be changed. There are three Fairchild NE5532 op-amps on the board, so one of these is probably the headphone amplifier op-amp.

Edit: Or, I could be wrong again.
tongue.gif

From what I've read, it sounds like all three of the changeable op-amps are just for the RCA line-outputs. The difference between the HD2 and HD2 gold is that instead of all three NE5532 op-amps, two are OPA2134 and the other is JRC5532. The headphone output section uses two separate op-amps: JRC4580.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 9
I can live with that...
wink.gif
The HD2 should still be sufficient for my needs at least for a year or two.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 9
RCA and headphone output are parallely connected to 3 swapable opamps. The JRC4580 are used only as a headphone amp(default disabled) and can be changed only by soldering.
BTW: i recommend you to offer LME4970 opamps with this card, they will considerable improve sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back