AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #3,976 of 5,890
Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #3,978 of 5,890
Hi to all! As adviced I contacted Audiosense company to resolve my problem I wrote it about before here. To be honest I got so surprised when they reply to me right away and fast.
So they will fix it for me and I am feeling much better now knowing that they care !!! And company is providing help and support.
All stay safe and healthy.

May 7, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #3,979 of 5,890
I just managed to get a loaner set of the Audiosense DT200 (2 BA), for which I'll be returning after a couple of weeks.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-07 at 19.12.32.jpeg

I don't believe in burn in for BA sets, so Initial impressions OOTB:

Fit/Comfort:
Comfortable, similar shape to Audiosense T800's resin shell but with much smaller profile of shell size than the flagship T800. Isolation is superb. Same accessories provided as the flagship T800 (ie huge pelican like hard case, cable, tips)

Sound signature:
Warm neutralish. Tonality is coherent, unlike some budget multi BA/hybrids. Non fatiguing, no harsh frequencies for me, suitable for long listening sessions. Doesn't have the typical upper mids CHIFI spike.

Technicalities are average at best, considering the price. Roll off at subbass and higher treble. Treble doesn't have a lot of detail compared to other multi BA type gear, but it is smooth with no sibilance. Soundstage is average in width.

Subbass is definitely lacking for my basshead tastes, but midbass has good punch and it is tight with no midbass bleed. Those who like typical BA bass and speed will like it, but the lack of a DD type bass decay/rumble may make certain bass predominant recordings sound unnatural.

Timbre:
Timbre is better than typical all BA timbre, but not as good as some DD sets (eg BLON BL-03) in the timbre for acoustic instruments; but overall timbre is still better than my KZs and Westones. Vocals especially female ones, may have a bit of a lack of bite/edge definition, which may be a pro or con depending on the music u listen to. Note weight is on the lighter side.

It is not a treblehead, basshead or "fun" sounding set, but I think it would be good set for those seeking a non fatiguing listen for long sessions with a warm-neutralish coherent tonality. In view of the good isolation, it may also possibly be an entry level stage/studio monitor, though the technicalities such as soundstage and details aren't the best at its $149 asking price.

Will do some A/B testing vs the Audiosense T800 and other all BA sets like my Westones and Hisenior B5+ over the next week (I feel it is fairer to compare apples to apples with other sets with BA bass instead of DD sets). Among my pure BA sets, I think the DT200 outperforms a couple of my midfi multidriver Westones, which cost way more.
But that's usually the case comparing CHIFI against so called "overpriced" Western brands. I think the real challenge will come when comparing the DT200 head to head against other CHIFI, like for example the all BA Hisenior B5+ which is 1/2 the price of the DT200.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #3,980 of 5,890
Just downloaded a 1966 recording of jazz pianist Elmo Hope, so not best sound quality. Initially listened with my JVC FDX1 dd iem. Wasn’t getting the sense of intimacy I was looking for. Threw on t800. Wow. Bass strength hit me immediately. Intimacy found. Fine coherence. Excellent! No dis to the FDX1 tho. Sound super with many other recordings.

May 8, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #3,981 of 5,890
So I got the T800 as a loaner from a friend

First things I’ve noticed:
- Separation
- Layers
- Bass has impact! (reading so much about the BA bass I was skeptical)
- Transparency
- Not the ear piercing treble I was expecting
- Soundstage well put together
- Level of details
- Very easy to drive
- Nice transients

On “Piano Man” by Billy Joel the harmonica sounds really pleasant.
Intimate feeling on “Layla - Acoustic; Live at MTV Unplugged” by Eric Clapton.
Powerful bass impact on “Way Down Deep” by Jennifer Warnes.
Cohen’s voice sounds good of course :D

What I would’ve liked:
- Forward mids

What I respect:
- Consistency in tuning

AUDIOSENSE T800 HeadFi 00.JPG

May 8, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #3,982 of 5,890
So I got the T800 as a loaner from a friend

- Not the ear piercing treble I was expecting

Agreed, the treble being ear piercing is grossly exaggerated.

Sure, some people are treble sensitive, which is valid. More commonly though, is the use of an improperly paired source.

The T800 is tricky to drive, and needs a source with as close to zero output impedance as possible. People that just toss it on their cell phone, laptop, or use the wrong DAP will often have piercing treble, hiss, distorted bass, etc. Use the right source, however, and the T800 will reward you with head turning performance.

May 8, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,983 of 5,890

Sure, some people are treble sensitive, which is valid. More commonly though, is the use of an improperly paired source.

The T800 is tricky to drive, and needs a source with as close to zero output impedance as possible. People that just toss it on their cell phone, laptop, or use the wrong DAP will often have piercing treble, hiss, distorted bass, etc. Use the right source, however, and the T800 will reward you with head turning performance.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Great choice of words... Not hard to drive, tricky is fitting.

May 9, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #3,984 of 5,890
It's been a while since checking this thread but I am glad it's still alive 😁👍🏻. I just been listening to the T800 now and still puts a massive smile on my face. But the Tin Hifi P1 have been my go to iem but my Focal Elegia have been stealing the attention. But the T800 truly is an amazing iem. I been reading comments about the treble and I have to say, the ear piercing treble comments have been exagerated. It's all about pairing and what source you are using with the T800. If you match it right though, the T800 is a warm iem, the Tin P1 is much more analytical and forward sounding in comparison with greater extension on both ends. I still love my T800 very much but the Focal Elegia have honestly taken my heart and ears. I havent really used my iems much ever since getting them. But it is a welcome change going back to the iems, but I have to admit, the Elegia put the biggest smile on my face so far :) and all my iems sound slightly strange now... I have been spoiled 😭

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #3,985 of 5,890

Used them with:
Iphone with dongle: Good balanced pairing
BTR1K: OK pairing with more emphasis in the ends than the iphone
Chord Mojo: Great pairing with great extensions

Sold my Q5 and I did not had the time to try

May 9, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #3,990 of 5,890
You should be okay but can you put a volume limiter in that DAP so it doesn't happen again?
thanks for the tip, activated my limiter on the M11. Sadly there is no option to have 2 different limiters for Low and High gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back