AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
May 25, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,831 of 2,528
Quick question. You enjoy the NightHawk so much, how come you never even tried the NightOwl? No curiosity about it, even though you follow the thread? I own both and prefer the NightOwl even though it is a closed-back.

Good question. I was considering it at one time but there are so many choices out there that I decided I would rather have something different..a different form factor. I have several closed headphones in my list including the Sennheiser HD630v,
Shure SRH1540, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, and Meze 99 Neo.

I guess I stayed subscribed to the thread because sometimes it is interesting and having the Nighthawk I have been able to suggest cables at times.

I am worried if I got a Night Owl that I would just end up trying to compare it to the NH instead of just enjoying the music. At this point I don't want/ need more headphones and I have been exploring buds and iems a lot.

May 25, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,832 of 2,528
Anyone know an IEM with a similar sound signature/dark/noise free background like the NightOwl?

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,834 of 2,528
2304E7BC-3DF7-4A53-9C61-28A27B76FCA4.jpeg F99D5A41-EEF2-44CF-9EED-D8B6EBA44B96.jpeg So I finally finished my first DIY cable for the Nightowl. I used 24 awg neotech stranded up-occ copper, Eidolic connectors, sleeved in paracord, 3.5 balanced. Wanted to try my first cable with something cheaper than the neptech stranded up-occ silver wire in case I screwed up. Tried to make something that would sound and look good with the Nightowl. I’m happy with the results and it definitely sounds good. What do you think?

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,835 of 2,528
So I finally finished my first DIY cable for the Nightowl. I used 24 awg neotech stranded up-occ copper, Eidolic connectors, sleeved in paracord, 3.5 balanced. Wanted to try my first cable with something cheaper than the neptech stranded up-occ silver wire in case I screwed up. Tried to make something that would sound and look good with the Nightowl. I’m happy with the results and it definitely sounds good. What do you think?

That looks gorgeous with it! Nice work.

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #1,837 of 2,528
Just got my NighOtwls a couple of days back, so they're way from being broken in.
Does the bass extension improve when broken in? I'm asking since the frequency response of the bass is way off the measured response from Tyll. Significant roll off from 40Hz downwards and barely noticeable at 30Hz. At first I thought it might be due to my glasses, but without them I got the same results. My bass shy Shure SE-535 have better extension than the NightOwls in their current state. I'm using the pleather pads.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,840 of 2,528
I've been frequenting the Buy/Sell forum for a pair of Nightowls but no luck yet. Seems there is a lot of love for these headphones on HeadFi and I'm hoping I can join in soon.

Many people complain about the headphone cable because it's bulky, inflexible, and short. How does it sound compared to reasonably priced aftermarket cables? Is there any consensus on a decent cable under $100 that doesn't degrade the sound quality? Not looking for a 10$ chi-fi cable, but preferably one made in the US.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,841 of 2,528
Just got my NighOtwls a couple of days back, so they're way from being broken in.
Does the bass extension improve when broken in? I'm asking since the frequency response of the bass is way off the measured response from Tyll. Significant roll off from 40Hz downwards and barely noticeable at 30Hz. At first I thought it might be due to my glasses, but without them I got the same results. My bass shy Shure SE-535 have better extension than the NightOwls in their current state. I'm using the pleather pads.
Nope, break-in is actually brain acclimation. There is no evidence that mechanical changes are even remotely audible. Give it some time, stop listening to other headphones and just spend your time with the NightOwl. If after a solid week or so of exclusive use it still doesn't do it for you, likely it never will. I owned the NightOwl and I did enjoy it, but it was long enough back now that I don't really remember the bass extension. Hope that it works out for you, but do give it a little time, your brain needs time to adjust (not the drivers).

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #1,842 of 2,528
I don't think it does. Not much anyways. I don't find them bass shy, but definitely not bass monsters like stated in some reviews I've read. I've stuck with the suede pads. I think they tighten things up a bit, and bring them fairly close to a neutral state.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #1,843 of 2,528
I've been frequenting the Buy/Sell forum for a pair of Nightowls but no luck yet. Seems there is a lot of love for these headphones on HeadFi and I'm hoping I can join in soon.

Many people complain about the headphone cable because it's bulky, inflexible, and short. How does it sound compared to reasonably priced aftermarket cables? Is there any consensus on a decent cable under $100 that doesn't degrade the sound quality? Not looking for a 10$ chi-fi cable, but preferably one made in the US.

Check out a member named Fasterball. He made one for me that was high quality and very affordable. You can choose the length and color as well.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #1,844 of 2,528

Why, is made in America or any western country better for any reason? The very best quality electronics production on EARTH is without a question available from China. This notion that made in China is inferior is really, really out of touch with the state of things. Now if you just want to support a domestic product, great, but no need to use racist statements such as Chi-fi, which even if you didn't mean it that way, is absolutely racist well more accurately ethnic discrimination.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #1,845 of 2,528
Why, is made in America or any western country better for any reason? The very best quality electronics production on EARTH is without a question available from China. This notion that made in China is inferior is really, really out of touch with the state of things. Now if you just want to support a domestic product, great, but no need to use racist statements such as Chi-fi, which even if you didn't mean it that way, is absolutely racist well more accurately ethnic discrimination.
Interesting. Yet there are numerous, long term threads all over the forum with that exact wording. All over the internet actually. I'm not sure if you're upset because he used an inexpensive dollar amount next to the words, but to me it's simply an abbreviation for Chinese HiFi. I wouldn't even consider it an micro aggression myself. Are you a mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back