AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #1,758 of 2,528
It was mediocre for the price.
I paid 300 new for mine. Again, your last paragraph confuses me. Should an audiophile community only discuss outrageously expensive headphones, that generally don't provide a performance increase that's equal to the extra money paid?

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,759 of 2,528
I forget if it was the nighthawk or the owl, but it was a closed headphone. It sounded really odd, like tunneling sound through the cups. Mids have this really weird sound and sound-stage is quite small, and I've heard closed-backs with bigger sound-stage. It's generally not a good sounding headphone.

I really don't even understand why even bring it up to an audiophile headphone forum. I wouldn't even consider it a audiophile level headphone performance.
Whoa.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,760 of 2,528
I forget if it was the nighthawk or the owl, but it was a closed headphone. It sounded really odd, like tunneling sound through the cups. Mids have this really weird sound and sound-stage is quite small, and I've heard closed-backs with bigger sound-stage. It's generally not a good sounding headphone.

I really don't even understand why even bring it up to an audiophile headphone forum. I wouldn't even consider it a audiophile level headphone performance.

Not my experience at all. This should have been posted in the 'Crazy Talk' fourm.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #1,761 of 2,528
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,762 of 2,528
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,763 of 2,528
Well s**t. I guess I'll never know

I am disappointed because I only have two back-up pairs but I had intended to buy more and just kept putting it off. If someone finds another source, please let us know. AudioQuest.nl also said that they are out.

May 1, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,764 of 2,528
The genuine hybrid pads are going to get very valuable. Do any of the Brainwavz pads fit I wonder, some users including myself have done a mod to fit Brainwavz pads onto the Oppo PM3 when the original's wore out.

May 1, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,765 of 2,528
I am disappointed because I only have two back-up pairs but I had intended to buy more and just kept putting it off. If someone finds another source, please let us know. AudioQuest.nl also said that they are out.

I bought a back-up pair like two months ago. Happy I did!

May 1, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,766 of 2,528
Anyone else notice during the burn in process, from about 40 hours to 65 hours that the bass seems a bit lacking before it comes back up to an acceptable level? Basically did yours go through periods of good sound and bad sound all along during the burn in process? Never had headphones where burn in actually affected so much. It’s almost like they change in sound every time I put them on. That being said I freaking love these things, enough to actually post about them, which obviously by my post count you can tell haha.

May 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,767 of 2,528
Anyone else notice during the burn in process, from about 40 hours to 65 hours that the bass seems a bit lacking before it comes back up to an acceptable level? Basically did yours go through periods of good sound and bad sound all along during the burn in process? Never had headphones where burn in actually affected so much. It’s almost like they change in sound every time I put them on. That being said I freaking love these things, enough to actually post about them, which obviously by my post count you can tell haha.

With mine, I demoed a burned-in set before purchase (on my amp, with my files). When I played the brand new ones at home, they sounded poor (muffled, muddy, lacking resolve, etc).

I burned them in for almost 150 hours and to me they sounded progressively better throughout the burn-in period. I'd say they sounded very good at about the 75 hour mark. With over 1,000 hours now on them and using a balanced cable, I'd say they've reached their full potential.

With the other headphones I have, they sounded good out of the box so burn-in was not a concern. For the NightHawk/NightOwl, I think the rubber surround on the driver is stiff when they're new and that must initially limit the bio-cellulose diaphragm from moving in a stable and fluid fashion.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #1,768 of 2,528
...and yet, I enjoyed my Nighthawk out of the box two and a half years ago and have continued to enjoy it ever since. I did leave it burning in for two weeks after I got it. No idea if anything changed because I just kept listening to different albums off and on during that time and was not trying to compare anything. Just enjoying my music.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,769 of 2,528
I listened to my new Owls straight out of the box, then put them through about 40 hours of listening. They sounded great at first, and they sound even better now. However, I did swap the cables, go balanced, wear the pads in a bit, mentally adjust to the sound, learn how best to wear them, and get new glasses. I would attribute the change in sound to any one of those things before I would credit physical burn-in. That's just me.

May 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,770 of 2,528
...and yet, I enjoyed my Nighthawk out of the box two and a half years ago and have continued to enjoy it ever since. I did leave it burning in for two weeks after I got it. No idea if anything changed because I just kept listing to different albums off and on during that time and was not trying to compare anything. Just enjoying my music.
That's what I've been doing, burn in as I listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back