AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #649 of 2,527
For those who are interested, headfonics just posted a very well done review on the NO's.
I find it very interesting how most of these reviews praise the new sound signature and extended treble of the night owl mentioning the drivers as if they are different. Makes me wonder if they even know what's going on. I guess I'm in the minority who feels like the boost pads were just not meant for someone like me. I can understand that others like extra treble, but call me crazy but I find the hybrid pads the near perfect blend. I carry the boost pads in the case, but as of yet haven't put them back on. Hmmf, go figure.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #650 of 2,527
I find it very interesting how most of these reviews praise the new sound signature and extended treble of the night owl mentioning the drivers as if they are different. Makes me wonder if they even know what's going on. I guess I'm in the minority who feels like the boost pads were just not meant for someone like me. I can understand that others like extra treble, but call me crazy but I find the hybrid pads the near perfect blend. I carry the boost pads in the case, but as of yet haven't put them back on. Hmmf, go figure.

I can sympathize with your grievances toward the boost pads and extended treble. We may be in the minority, but I am with you as far as the hybrid pads are concerned. In the end, I am just grateful that the NO's received a good review which will hopefully, raise it's profile and lead to more interest.

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #651 of 2,527

If you compare the typical review for the NO's vs the original NH's, you will find that better than 50% of them prefer the former over the latter. The preference for the NO's is mostly due to the boost pads which provide a more conventional sound signature. Unfortunately, even though I consider the hybrid pads to be the most balanced and best overall sounding, it is an acquired taste and I believe it is the root cause of the love/hate relationship with the original NH's. What's interesting is that despite being fitted with the boost pads, the NO's still have a love/have relationship with the head-fi community.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #652 of 2,527
I am seriously considering trying the Schiit Fulla 2 with my NO's. How do they compare with the Dragonfly Red? Any input from NO or NH owners would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #653 of 2,527
I am seriously considering trying the Schiit Fulla 2 with my NO's. How do they compare with the Dragonfly Red? Any input from NO or NH owners would be very much appreciated.

I never had the Schiit Fulla 2, but the Dragonfly Red compared very well (almost) with Schiit Jotunheim and NO's. Actually I prefer the power of the Jot with balanced cable. It goes well with the laid back sound of the No's.Gave the Dragonfly Red to my friend. Really happy with the Jot+internal DAC>Balanced cable>Nightowls...using Foobar and .flac files for music, mostly Jazz..Hope that helps

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #654 of 2,527
I never had the Schiit Fulla 2, but the Dragonfly Red compared very well (almost) with Schiit Jotunheim and NO's. Actually I prefer the power of the Jot with balanced cable. It goes well with the laid back sound of the No's.Gave the Dragonfly Red to my friend. Really happy with the Jot+internal DAC>Balanced cable>Nightowls...using Foobar and .flac files for music, mostly Jazz..Hope that helps

Thank you.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #657 of 2,527
I have been quite pleased and satisfied with my AQ Nightowl Carbon's for the past month. I am contemplating the addition of the original Nighthawks to my collection. Is there a big enough sonic difference between the two to warrant such a purchase? What, if any, are the major differences? Of course, the former is a closed-back and the latter is semi-open. At the very least, that would mean that the NH's should have a bigger soundstage. How much bigger is the question? Another example would be that the original NH's came with classic(hybrid) pads. Would the use of hybrid pads on my NO's narrow the gap with the NH's? For those who own both NO's and NH's, what do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.

NO is the better version of NH. Dont do it.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #658 of 2,527
I listen to mainly post-rock (think Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You) where I want an expansive sound-stage and shimmering highs, hip-hop (Tyler The Creator, Schoolboy Q etc) where I'm looking for deep and punchy bass (but not flabby) and acoustic/folk (Iron and Wine) where I'm wanting airy guitars and beautiful vocals (mainly male). Do you guys think these cans suit these genres or should I be looking elsewhere?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #659 of 2,527
I listen to mainly post-rock (think Sigur Ros, This Will Destroy You) where I want an expansive sound-stage and shimmering highs, hip-hop (Tyler The Creator, Schoolboy Q etc) where I'm looking for deep and punchy bass (but not flabby) and acoustic/folk (Iron and Wine) where I'm wanting airy guitars and beautiful vocals (mainly male). Do you guys think these cans suit these genres or should I be looking elsewhere?
Honestly, they are well suited for ALL genres. There are differing opinions on which pads are best. The boost pads they come with give what I assume is a typical treble response of modern headphones. For those who are not fans of increased treble, the hybrid pads are available for purchase as well. Point is, with 3 total sets of pads available for these cans, they can hit every aspect/genre

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #660 of 2,527
I have the Oppo PM-3s and the Nightowls. They sound very different to me. The PM3 is more linear, dry, with rolled off treble. The Nightowl is more dynamic, lusher, and some of the best resolution of a closed-back that I have heard. I use my Nightowls at my desk and the PM3 bedside and as portables.
Note: I haven't heard all headphones yet, but the NightOwls have become a favorite to me along with Hifiman HE400S.
In your opinion, how would the Nightowl do as a travel companion? I live out of my van traveling for work, and often would be listening from my Macbook Pro with a bunch of noise going on outside the van. I also am in a plane once a month or so and having them work great there would be a huge plus.

I was about to push "purchase" on the Oppo PM-3 until I came across some reviews for the Nightowl. How do you find the isolation (both in and out) on these two comparatively? Why do you personally use the Oppo as your portable cans vs the Nightowls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back