Audioquest Nighthawk vs Sennheiser HD700
Dec 28, 2016 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Electro

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but if anyone has experience with both headphones, which do you prefer and why? I am considering them both and can't really decide between the two. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 14
  I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but if anyone has experience with both headphones, which do you prefer and why? I am considering them both and can't really decide between the two. 

HD700 is bright while Nighthawk is dark. Very different headphones.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 14

HD700 is bright while Nighthawk is dark. Very different headphones.

+1
Yeah, I've heard that. Which do you think I would enjoy more for rock, alt rock and metal? I'm assuming the Nighthawk.

Nobody can answer that except you...personally Id go for Nighthawk.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 14
thats a subjective question....

i can tell you that a lot of metal is poorly produced and the Nighthawks will be more forgiving than the HD700s of poor masterings/bright tracks.

the HD700s will have more energy up-top

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 14
thats a subjective question....

i can tell you that a lot of metal is poorly produced and the Nighthawks will be more forgiving than the HD700s of poor masterings/bright tracks.

the HD700s will have more energy up-top

Well, I don't believe sound quality to be ENTIRELY subjective. I can tell you that the sound quality on a pair of T1s is better than on a pair of Dre Beats, for example. lol
Thanks though, it sounds like the nighthawk is more what I'm looking for.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 14
Well, I don't believe sound quality to be ENTIRELY subjective. I can tell you that the sound quality on a pair of T1s is better than on a pair of Dre Beats, for example. lol
Thanks though, it sounds like the nighthawk is more what I'm looking for.

True,not entirely subjective,but youre not asking about Beats either.

Youre asking about a headphone that once upon a time retailed for 1000.00 usd vs. a headphone that goes for about 1/4th of that currently.

IMO HD700 strengths lie in its detail and sound stage,two qualities that metal doesnt really need,not to mention they can be sibilant...If youre used to a T1 then it wont be an issue,and might actually prefer it over the Nighthawk.

I would also look into HE-400i as well.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Well, I listen to all kinds of music, but I am used to, and prefer, a darker, bassier sound (V-MODA M-100s is what I'm used to currently, they're very dark and bassy) so it sounds like the Nighthawk would be more up my alley.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 14
  Well, I listen to all kinds of music, but I am used to, and prefer, a darker, bassier sound (V-MODA M-100s is what I'm used to currently, they're very dark and bassy) so it sounds like the Nighthawk would be more up my alley.

I havent heard the M100 in many years,but I do not recall them being "dark",could be wrong on that tho

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 14
They have a dark frequency response because there is kind of a lack of treble to counteract the mid-range and bass. Darker than the average headphones I guess. 

I just purchased the Audioquest Nighthawk and an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC. I'm sure I will get a lot of enjoyment out of them. Thanks for the help!

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 14
They have a dark frequency response because there is kind of a lack of treble to counteract the mid-range and bass. Darker than the average headphones I guess. 

I just purchased the Audioquest Nighthawk and an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC. I'm sure I will get a lot of enjoyment out of them. Thanks for the help!
Have only listened to the Nighthawks twice and found them too dark for me but were nice headphones if that was your signature .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back