AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #9,841 of 10,194
I have been avoiding EQ for sometime and try to enjoy my set for what they are and how they are tuned from the factory.

Once you delve into it, there's no going back lol. Now your whole listening process needs a revamp....As is all things with hobbies like this. Which is the fun part.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #9,842 of 10,194
A lot of people say the Teak is the better Fostex 610 / Denon 7200. The nighthawk for 250 € / $ is a steal but I think if you like this fun sounding the Emu Teak could be the better choise (design, comfort, springy bass). Is that right? The only disadvantage is you get nearly two Nighthawks for the Teak :wink:.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #9,843 of 10,194
Once again, it all depends on if you have access to EQ or not. If yes, just grab a Nighthawk if you still can, and EQ it to your liking. Because the Nighhawk has such great drivers with so little distortion that you can do pretty much anything EQ-wise. Not to mention a look & feel that you won't find on any other headphone for that price.
It's really a no-brainer. What's incredible is that some people may still hesitate for only 250 €/$. That's crazy!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #9,845 of 10,194
Audio-wise, I wouldn't buy it without EQ if it had to be my only can. Unless I specifically wanted a bassy can with recessed mids for long listening sessions.
However for completing a collection of cans, it's definitely a great add-on.

Money-wise, I would definitely buy it with or without EQ, because this may very well become a collector's item.
I own two of them, and even if I don't have any plans to sell them, if I decided to do so someday, I could even earn some money in the process.

I personally love the EQed sound for some music, and the original sound for some other music. I can't seem to decide, so I'm always switching back and forth. That's part of the fun !

As for the cable, some people in this topic have linked a 2m cable sold by Amazon for about 30 $. Here it is @ Amazon France : https://www.amazon.fr/Ketdirect-rem.../B06WVB6N49/ref=psdc_1455197031_t1_B08CXJNQ9J

Me I'm not concerned because my project is to get custom cables for all my cans. Normally these should already be in the making, but the cable maker that I wanted (Alan Lovell, UK) has mysteriously disappeared from the face of the Earth 3 months ago, and I currently don't know of another european cable maker at such a reasonable price...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #9,846 of 10,194
Audio-wise, I wouldn't buy it without EQ if it had to be my only can. Unless I specifically wanted a bassy can with recessed mids for long listening sessions.
However for completing a collection of cans, it's definitely a great add-on.

Money-wise, I would definitely buy it with or without EQ, because this may very well become a collector's item.
I own two of them, and even if I don't have any plans to sell them, if I decided to do so someday, I could even earn some money in the process.

I personally love the EQed sound for some music, and the original sound for some other music. I can't seem to decide, so I'm always switching back and forth. That's part of the fun !

As for the cable, some people in this topic have linked a 2m cable sold by Amazon for about 30 $. Here it is @ Amazon France : https://www.amazon.fr/Ketdirect-rem.../B06WVB6N49/ref=psdc_1455197031_t1_B08CXJNQ9J

Me I'm not concerned because my project is to get custom cables for all my cans. Normally these should already be in the making, but the cable maker that I wanted (Alan Lovell, UK) has mysteriously disappeared from the face of the Earth 3 months ago, and I currently don't know of another european cable maker at such a reasonable price...
OIDIO (also in the UK) are superb. Their build quality feels way above many others I've tried.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #9,847 of 10,194
OIDIO (also in the UK) are superb. Their build quality feels way above many others I've tried.
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate :) Unfortunately I guess it's not the same thing at all.
  • First, OIDIO seems to be WAY more expensive. I mean, a single non-custom HP cable costs £76 ! With NLovell and according to his website, 1m of custom braided Ika 2 cable (4 OFC/Silver connectors which allow for two strands of two connectors each) costs £18.50 (excl. connectors). If you want more than 1m it's even cheaper. I was going to order the Kiore cable that's barely more expensive (pure OFC, £22 for 1m).

• Second, I don't know if OIDIO does custom work, but Alan Lovell clearly states that anything, absolutely anything is possible. It's a labor of love from a passionate guy, and to me that makes all the difference.
I need to order 5 different custom HP cables, and all of them are to be made according to very precise specs that I have thoroughly designed over several months of thinking. Everything is custom : connectors, colors, lengths, and even protective elements at the back end of the connectors. With Alan Novell I was sure that he could get the job done for a reasonable price. With OIDIO we're looking at a completely unreasonable price, and I'm not even sure they'd get everything done just like I want it.

So I guess I just have to hope that Alan will come back into business at some point (after all his website is still online and he has many customers either under warranty or with orders still to be delivered), OR find somebody else that's able to do the same job, for the same reasonable price, and with the same standards of quality. There must be somebody somewhere ! :)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #9,848 of 10,194
I own a pair of nightowls, which I love. Saw some 2nd hand nightowls and I have 2 questions:

- Are they less warm since they are open back? One of my main complaints with owls is that they get stupid hot in hot weather.
- Would be be good for gaming? The owls already do that pretty well, since these are open back they might be better? I do have a pc38x but the comfort is really bothering me, although I hope some dekoni pads I ordered will fix that (the owl absolutely destroys those in terms of comfort).

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #9,849 of 10,194
I own a pair of nightowls, which I love. Saw some 2nd hand nightowls and I have 2 questions:

- Are they less warm since they are open back? One of my main complaints with owls is that they get stupid hot in hot weather.
- Would be be good for gaming? The owls already do that pretty well, since these are open back they might be better? I do have a pc38x but the comfort is really bothering me, although I hope some dekoni pads I ordered will fix that (the owl absolutely destroys those in terms of comfort).
The Nighthawk are very warm, they have a bit of a reverb quality. This is the main reason for the divisive nature, people seem to either love or hate. The Nightowl (I haven't heard it), is meant to sound cleaner but otherwise similar.

The Nighthawk are great for gaming if you're looking at enjoyment. They're boomy but detailed, so they're not for competitive play, they're for fun.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #9,850 of 10,194
The Nighthawk are very warm, they have a bit of a reverb quality. This is the main reason for the divisive nature, people seem to either love or hate. The Nightowl (I haven't heard it), is meant to sound cleaner but otherwise similar.

The Nighthawk are great for gaming if you're looking at enjoyment. They're boomy but detailed, so they're not for competitive play, they're for fun.
thnx for the reply (hey you pointed me towards the dekoni pads I just ordered for my PC38x :) ) but I was actually asking about warmth as in temperature, not as in sound signature

I was hoping these could replace the 38x if I don't like them after the pad swap, but sounds like a no. Maybe if I can get them really cheap :)

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #9,851 of 10,194

The Nighthawks are semi-open headphones, not truly open headphones in the way of something an like HD600 series headphone or most Hifiman headphones where there's really not much more between you and the world but the driver. So you're not gonna get a big increase in airflow to your ears or a much more "open" sound like you would with an open headphone.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #9,853 of 10,194

Yeah the Nighthawks are the second warmest headphone I’ve come across stock, the warmest is the T1.3 but the T1 doesn’t have the reverb quality the Hawks have so it makes it quite a different experience than the Hawks. Haven’t really heard the Nighthowl either. Would like to see a list of the warmest headphones out there.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #9,854 of 10,194
thnx for the reply (hey you pointed me towards the dekoni pads I just ordered for my PC38x :) ) but I was actually asking about warmth as in temperature, not as in sound signature

I was hoping these could replace the 38x if I don't like them after the pad swap, but sounds like a no. Maybe if I can get them really cheap :)
I have had both, and don’t remember a difference in how hot they got during listening sessions.
In terms of sound signature they are quite similar, if I remember correctly the Owls were a bit punchier, the Hawks a had a little more open soundstage (but not much).

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #9,855 of 10,194

Haha oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood. The Nighthawk almost feel closed so they do get warm on my head.

Are you playing on PC or on console? Are you looking to use a microphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back