AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #9,586 of 10,194
Why do some people report “tizzy” treble quality with these? Highly interested to buy one, but the comments about the treble quality put me off..

I found the tizzy treble some mention is caused by certain amp/dacs and the stock cable. A decent copper cable and there is no problems, you'll want to replace the stock cable anyways on either version as it's unreliable (I've had two fail on me on my original nighthawks) on the original and the form factor sucks on the carbon. It's honestly ironic a cable company has such issues with the cables on their headphones, the main complaint on them is the cables imho. I personally use my Beyer T1 cable with 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptors on my Nighthawk Carbons.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #9,587 of 10,194
The driver membrane is possibly the only thing OEM, which is likely made by Fostex. But the capsule, magnet, motor assembly, etc. are all unique essentially making the driver as a whole unique. Yeah many sadly didn’t get them when they came out and after owning them I feel they were appropriately priced and since they tend to sell around $250 now they’re one of the best deals in headphones out there and my pair isn’t going anywhere.
And what a capable driver it is! I'd take these over the LCD-3 and HE1000SE. I just can't get over how they do soundstage, imaging, separation completely undisturbed by my insane bass boost. I've heard 3.5k€ headphones lose microdetails at lower volumes than these. These are insanely capable cans. These borderline don't distort until they start bottoming out and at that's literally nearing 120dB SPL

I was listening to the HD600 a lot before getting the NHCs and I was like "damn, I wish I had midrange detail closer to the 600". A little bit of EQ by ear and boom, wish granted.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #9,589 of 10,194
Why do some people report “tizzy” treble quality with these? Highly interested to buy one, but the comments about the treble quality put me off..
Before I bought them I had the same concern. Some people saying they were dark and very warm made me think that the treble was going to be veiled and poor but that's not the case. The treble is clear and detailed without any harshness.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #9,590 of 10,194
ok guys don't add any more...your comments convinced me....i just ordered them....
thanks for your help!

Welcome to the club, I would say going by past peoples experience and user reviews the Hawks are definitely the marmite of the headphone world. Hopefully you’ll love them just like most people on this thread do. Give them plenty of run in time, a decent cable replacement and decent source and watch the soar.

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #9,591 of 10,194
Welcome to the club, I would say going by past peoples experience and user reviews the Hawks are definitely the marmite of the headphone world. Hopefully you’ll love them just like most people on this thread do. Give them plenty of run in time, a decent cable replacement and decent source and watch the soar.
My Nighthawks came along at the perfect time for me this year. I was getting bored with so many audio file headphones sounding so similar. These were like a breath of fresh air. They're different, and in this case that's good. It'd be more difficult to recommend them as someone's only pair. I'd go for a more generic sound in that instance, but for anyone who wants to owns two or more quality pairs, I'd vouch for these as one of those pairs all day long.

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #9,592 of 10,194
And what a capable driver it is! I'd take these over the LCD-3 and HE1000SE. I just can't get over how they do soundstage, imaging, separation completely undisturbed by my insane bass boost. I've heard 3.5k€ headphones lose microdetails at lower volumes than these. These are insanely capable cans. These borderline don't distort until they start bottoming out and at that's literally nearing 120dB SPL

I was listening to the HD600 a lot before getting the NHCs and I was like "damn, I wish I had midrange detail closer to the 600". A little bit of EQ by ear and boom, wish granted.

They are very capable drivers, one of the most capable dynamic drivers I've come across, it's one of those rare headphones that make you question what you think you know about headphone audio. I've owned two other headphones that did that for me. The other two headphones were the Beyerdynamic DT 480 and the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3. So the Hawks and those two Beyers hold a special place to me, but the DT 480 driver is still the best dynamic driver I've owned by a good margin, I can't get over the DT 480’s ability to sound so real, what I like to call it's perfect clarity, and that it makes most other headphones sound like toys in comparison, it's like other headphones sounds thin, unfocused, and fake. The Nighthawk and especially the DT 480 completely changed how I analyze and judge headphones, I don't view sound in headphones the same way anymore and I hold differing views on sound as well due to those headphones, they had that big of an impact on me. The T1.3 also had a big impact but I'm still trying to figure them out fully.

All three of these headphones sound very different from each other, so the switch between them is dramatic and none have the conventional audiophile sound. I honestly do agree with what Skylar said about mainstream headphone design and tuning, I don't really think it's the right direction. I'm glad there are companies that don't go with the norm and break the mold by doing something different even if it brings controversy. I like to have mostly unique and unusual headphones personally and also a couple conventionally tuned headphones. I want variety in the headphones, having multiple headphones that sound similar or mostly the same is boring and I feel defeats the purpose of having multiple headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #9,593 of 10,194
I go between my Nighthawks and Focal Clears regularly and for me there is just something magical about the presentation of the Hawks. I love these cans and how you can just melt into the music and enjoy what’s on offer. Yes they can be dark cans but they are also the most comfortable non fatiguing headphones I own. I would certainly highly recommend them if you can grab a pair 👍🏻
comparing focal and NH makes me think i'm going to enjoy it.....

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #9,594 of 10,194
comparing focal and NH makes me think i'm going to enjoy it.....
i had the opportunity to hear the first version of the NH and an OPPO PM1.i preferred the NH which had greater sound richness.why some say the NH are dark,the treble not extended enough?i found them fairly balanced with an AUNE X5S and an MF M1 HPA which is my amp.could you advise me a good source to pair with?i especially listen to jazz and classical.thanks

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #9,595 of 10,194
i had the opportunity to hear the first version of the NH and an OPPO PM1.i preferred the NH which had greater sound richness.why some say the NH are dark,the treble not extended enough?i found them fairly balanced with an AUNE X5S and an MF M1 HPA which is my amp.could you advise me a good source to pair with?i especially listen to jazz and classical.thanks

For portable use I would suggest Mojo. For desktop use iFi Burr-brown base dacs are fine (starting from iDAC2 even without amp but iCAN SE pairs well too BTW), going up with price range: Mytek Brooklyn, Chord TT2, McIntosh MHA150. As for dedicated amps (besides iCAN SE) I had good experience with iFi iCan Pro.

NHs and NOs are not that great with Fiio like Q5 for example

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #9,596 of 10,194
JDS Labs Atom, Topping e30, Shiit Heresy or Magni 3+ are really perfect to power them. Cleanest power for very attractive costs. No need at all to spend more soundwise.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #9,597 of 10,194
I love my NHCs to death but the earpads are peeling now. Can anyone help me out and direct me to where I can get replacements? Thanks.
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads They custom make ear pads. I have thought about having a perforated pair made to see how it would effect the soundstage. Never have got around to it, as I have all 3 sets that were available for the NH. You could do some research on here and goggle, I am sure somebody has bought from them.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #9,598 of 10,194
Since I eq my nighthawk I love them more then ever, cristal clear mids, very good extension on both ends and clearest sound without any distortion.
And on top of all that magic its the most comfortable headfone out of all. ..imho

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #9,599 of 10,194
Since I eq my nighthawk I love them more then ever, cristal clear mids, very good extension on both ends and clearest sound without any distortion.
And on top of all that magic its the most comfortable headfone out of all. ..imho

Would you be so kind and share your EQ settings please?

While I don't do that and I think it is not a coincidence that both Toneboosters MorphIt and Sonarworks (I am not counting in Reveal+ since this is exclusively Audezee only) are missing AQ cans from supported headphone list, it could be interesting experiment for me.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #9,600 of 10,194
Nice, I felt the same when I equalised mine. This is a headphone that respond really well to EQ. Im using the Autoeq parametric but with some adjusments in the bass and it works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back