AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #7,801 of 10,189
Just got these second hand and loving them. Very different sound sig! However, I think I may need to get new pads soon. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, I need a new portable amp/dac solution. Anyone using the dragonfly black, red, or chord mojo and care to comment on their synergy with the nighthawks? I am working my way through the thread but there does not seem to be a clear direction

cheers

http://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=AQEPCA

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #7,802 of 10,189
Thanks for that. Unfortunately not only are they out of stock but they also only ship to the USA, and I am in Australia.

cheers though. Any other places you know of? Can' see anything on ebay.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #7,803 of 10,189
This is getting funny. I got AKG K712 PROs and they are sharp as Katana but these NHs are getting very close to them. As Z reviews talks about K712s: " These have detail not seen in a headphone other than the Stax". 150 hr mark is now in the past with NH but still i wait slight improvements. Yet there is occasional "muddy/veil" to be heard on some songs and that makes my head hurt cos i can't say why....

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #7,805 of 10,189
OMG.
This thing blow my mind. Im using LG V30 and if i put NH in it wont go high impedance quad DAC but i bought headphone splitter.
It cost 6Euros and that way i can cheat the LG to high impedance mode (by putting in AKG K712 with audio splitter and then unblug the headpgone from splitter it stays in high impedance mode) and it is grazy good now. The soundstage got a alot wider and it got now super good resolution.
So the NH is very hungry about DAC. This LG V30 is far superior to audioquest own dragonfly DAC.
Damn
I cant believe phones DAC can be better than AQ dragonfly. What i am doing wrong or right?
If someone has same system, can they confirm what i am hearing.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #7,806 of 10,189
OMG.
This thing blow my mind. Im using LG V30 and if i put NH in it wont go high impedance quad DAC but i bought headphone splitter.
It cost 6Euros and that way i can cheat the LG to high impedance mode (by putting in AKG K712 with audio splitter and then unblug the headpgone from splitter it stays in high impedance mode) and it is grazy good now. The soundstage got a alot wider and it got now super good resolution.
So the NH is very hungry about DAC. This LG V30 is far superior to audioquest own dragonfly DAC.
Damn
I cant believe phones DAC can be better than AQ dragonfly. What i am doing wrong or right?
If someone has same system, can they confirm what i am hearing.

I don't have any splitter but when I unplug one earphone and than plug headphone cable to my LGV30 I'm getting AUX mode and it also sounds very good.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #7,807 of 10,189
Oh nice. Gona test that.
This is truly now close to being my end game set.
At least when i go next time to my local HiEnd shop they need to really sell me the top line of STAX and it better sound like angels in crack :wink: or im not buying them hehe.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #7,808 of 10,189
I don't have any splitter but when I unplug one earphone and than plug headphone cable to my LGV30 I'm getting AUX mode and it also sounds very good.
Its not working on my LGV30. Only says it is connected to an external audio or so. When i do it my way it says it is connected to a high impedance headphones and it shows that 50ohm sign on top of the screen. And it is alot more powerfull output.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #7,809 of 10,189
Screenshot_2018-06-26-20-43-15.png
Its not working on my LGV30. Only says it is connected to an external audio or so. When i do it my way it says it is connected to a high impedance headphones and it shows that 50ohm sign on top of the screen. And it is alot more powerfull output.

External audio is AUX.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #7,810 of 10,189
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #7,811 of 10,189
Ok i need to pull back little bit :D It does sound (s)excellent now from the AQ dragonfly too. Something happened over night when i left NH to play music guite loud for straight 19 hrs and morning when i got to work and tried that LG V30 hack i could not believe the sound quality.
I guess it was the burning in that opened up these like flower but oh my what a difference it is.
Ok i stop posting for now, almost spamming :D but those STAX need to pull out big rabbit from the hat if my local HiFi shop wants to sell them to me..

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #7,812 of 10,189
Ok i need to pull back little bit :D It does sound (s)excellent now from the AQ dragonfly too. Something happened over night when i left NH to play music guite loud for straight 19 hrs and morning when i got to work and tried that LG V30 hack i could not believe the sound quality.
I guess it was the burning in that opened up these like flower but oh my what a difference it is.
Ok i stop posting for now, almost spamming :D but those STAX need to pull out big rabbit from the hat if my local HiFi shop wants to sell them to me..

Many people believe they continue to change past 150 hours. That's going to be a lot of spam! :wink:

Just kidding - it's great that they are working for you!

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #7,813 of 10,189
Ok, so I am still needing a fresh perspective on a portable amp/dac solution for these cans. My local dealer says that the chord mojo is a league above the dragonfly's black and red. Can anyone who has used both comment? I have heard mixed reactions from people with the mojo.

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #7,814 of 10,189
Ok, so I am still needing a fresh perspective on a portable amp/dac solution for these cans. My local dealer says that the chord mojo is a league above the dragonfly's black and red. Can anyone who has used both comment? I have heard mixed reactions from people with the mojo.
Red has a brighter sound signature. Mojo is warmer, yet still thoroughly detailed. Red is a little light on the bass compared to the mojo. Another option, at a slightly less price point to the moho is the ifi xdsd. It is my current dac/amp. The Burr brown dac is warmer than the red, but detailed as well. Smoother more musical. I don't use bluetooBl, so I'm spwakisp strictly wired. Plenty of power, and the bass boost is a slight increase. It's only a boost in sub freq so it doensdo muddy any of the mid-range.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #7,815 of 10,189
Thanks, devodonaldson. Appreciate the extra idea. I like that the ifi has bluetooth. Do you still have the dragonfly red and use it? I don't like the idea that it is light on the bass. I like my bass! Very hard to try amp/dacs out here in Australia, as most of my choices are shipped to me. I believe my local dealer can only get dragonflies and chord mojo's. I like that the dragonfly is so portable, a plug and play solution. Is the chord mojo a big step up in sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back