AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #7,336 of 10,194
VERY thank you, I will read accurately. Now I am using the “treble” boost leather one in stock just to start.

You are very welcome. Speaking from experience, please seriously consider breaking in your NH's for a "minimum" of 50-hrs. before critically judging their sound characteristics or tonal quality. This should be sufficient time to give your ears time to adjust to their low distortion profile and minimize the chances of prematurely returning them and buying them back again sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7,340 of 10,194
Thanks for the impressions guys, might just stick to the Mojo instead of looking at at ifi Micro.
Not so long ago (few months) I wrote a detailed comparison review of Mojo and iDSD BL using Nighthawks mainly. It is available here on Head-Fi amongst the many iDSD BL reviews, if you want to look up. (Reflects my personal opinion of course.)

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #7,341 of 10,194
Saw a vid review where the guy said these reminded him of what he heard when he first tried the HE 500. I've owned the HE 500 and am expecting the Nighthawks in the next week or so to be delivered. Can anyone who has heard both confirm what the reviewer said?

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #7,342 of 10,194
Dec 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #7,343 of 10,194
I am little confused here, in the website is stated "Slightly reduced bass impact" while in the headphone box sheet is stated "Slightly ehnance bass".

Based upon personal experience, the website description is correct and headphone box insert is a mistake.

Dec 23, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #7,344 of 10,194
Based upon personal experience, the website description is correct and headphone box insert is a mistake.

If the leather improve the treble and the suede decrease the bass why somebody should use the suede?

Why there is not an official thread for the NH Carbon on Hfi?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #7,345 of 10,194
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #7,346 of 10,194
If the leather improve the treble and the suede decrease the bass why somebody should use the suede?

Although, I have limited experience with the microsuede, I have read that it tends to do well with instrumental based music such as classical.

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #7,347 of 10,194
Although, I have limited experience with the microsuede, I have read that it tends to do well with instrumental based music such as classical.

I have the original wood color Nighthawk so I have the original hybrid pads. I also have the microsuede pads and I used them during the summer as they seemed cooler to me. They were also slightly more comfortable. I like both. I have never tried the protein leather ones but I do have them. I was told they would boost the base but I do not need that.

The ultrasuede is nice with instrumental based music.

@RiseFall123 If you get a chance to read older posts there is much talk about pads...and other things... all through the thread. Also some annoying arguments at times...lol.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #7,348 of 10,194
Nice, looking forward to the results.

Still in break-in, with leather pads and with iPhone and Mojo, the results between the NHC and the HD650 is that the first is more "fun", engaging, musical, dynamic, less controlled and less tight bass, a little muddiest and overwhelming mid-low, more "alive",less "veiled" a very little "piercing" in the treble. Unluckily I do not find it confortable as the HD650 because I mostly listen at bed and in on the pillow the HD650 is better, I needed an harder pillow to stay fine because the larger pads on the NHC deep in the pillow produce me a little pain and little fatiguing.

In A/B test between NHC and HD650 with Mojo the winner is the first, I want now to A/B test between Mojo>NHC and Asus E1 desktop dac>HD650 to understand what I like more, but remembering I am still the early break-in of the NHC.

This was my first report. I am posting here, not in the official NHC thread, still don't understand why the official NHC thread is dead.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #7,349 of 10,194
Here again, reporting here in the NH thread and not in the NHC thread due to the fact that this thread is more "alive".

This morning I comparing the Mojo-NHC combo with the Asus E1-HD650 combo. It's not fair because the NHC are still in breakin, but since I am in the returing window I have to take a decision soon.

To my ears, the E1-HD650 sound better. While the M-NHC seem more fun and "fast" the first is a more dynamic, neutral and "filling" combo. Also, but this is my personal issue, the NHC are not "pillow-friendly" to me. I mean, the pads on the AQ headphone are very large comparing to the HD650 and, in a bedroom bed listening, I have more pain listening to the AQ than the HD650 that are less large.

What I am thinking, but still testing, is that NHC and HD650 are not so different and using the latter with a good amp I have a more "neutral" presentation and more dynamic maybe less "engaging" but spending 600 euros to have almost the same quality of an headphone that I already own maybe is not a good point to me.

Also, even if the Mojo is praised for it's presentation, I am starting to think that I appreciate more it for my main hifi chaing as dac while I am starting to apreciate more my desktop amp as dac/amp for headphones. That due to the fact that the Mojo soundstage is narrow and that I find it a little poor in dynamic (but correct).

Weirdily, I am thinking to ending with Nighthawk sending back, Mojo as main dac in the speakers chain and Asus E1 in the bedroom as amplifier for my HD650.

That's my thoughts for now, but I have more days for testing the NH and I have to remind myself that even the Mojo is still in break-in (maybe).

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #7,350 of 10,194
... the Nighthawk serial and the more with bw hybridpads is surpassing the hd650 completely. The 650 here cannot see even the backlights of the Nighthawk :wink:
...imho

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back