AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #6,646 of 10,194
i just plugged my nighthawk in my magni 2 uber and audio gd c2. is it possible that they sound harsher than the nightowl?? i find them very fatiguing.. maybe because they have to burn in. i hope.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #6,647 of 10,194
i just plugged my nighthawk in my magni 2 uber and audio gd c2. is it possible that they sound harsher than the nightowl?? i find them very fatiguing.. maybe because they have to burn in. i hope.

I thought the same when i got mine, they sounded awful and thought that was the sound signature people were after but everyone said to keep at it so i left music running while i slept and worked. Now i can't stop wearing them.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6,649 of 10,194
Maybe your ears are broken, send the nightowls to me and i can test them for you :D

On topic, are there any mods that'll open up the sound stage at all?

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6,651 of 10,194
Maybe your ears are broken, send the nightowls to me and i can test them for you :D

On topic, are there any mods that'll open up the sound stage at all?

My ears work just fine.. Tomorrow i get the carbon version, i burn them for 2 days minimum and i hope not to ear that annoying sibilance

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #6,652 of 10,194
Looking for a little advice here.

A while back, @EdwardPL said that the 'hawks don't play well with tube amps, they don't in general terms provide enough current and anyone who thinks otherwise is a numpty (paraphrasing)

I took exception to my POV being disregarded but did wonder if he had a point.
Then heard the Nighthawk's via ifi iDSD Micro and it genuinely changed my view of what these cans should sound like.
I still like the sound I get from my Little Dot MkIII but from the iDSD it's just a completely different league - especially with regard to high frequency clarity and prominence.

I cannot justify spending that money on myself, and don't really have a way to 'save' so the iDSD is out for now.
I also can't stop thinking about the quality of sound, I'm being haunted by it!
So I need to find an amp (which does not have to be portable) which can provide much the same experience.

Obvious choice is the iCan Micro (about half the price). 3D and Xbass are there, power seems good, control of gain is also there. But not filter options (trying to match the experience as closely as I can) and much written about Tube State sound. Has anyone heard both ifi products with the 'hawks and could compare?

Today I also saw the Aune X1S written about on here, and that sounds like it might be a viable option (no 3D switch but perhaps it provides the same space OOTB). Has anyone heard this with the 'hawks (and ideally heard the iDSD as well) and could comment?

And are there any amps (or DAC/amps) around the same price as the iCan Micro (I think like 300-350 dollars or below) that they know provides a 3D soundstage with plenty of high end presence with the Nighthawks? And delivers enough power/current to drive them to their best?

Sorry for the rambling post. I'll try to find somewhere to audition the Aune, probably won't be able to audition the iCan. But any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6,653 of 10,194
Why not a dragonfly? I've heard quite often the headphones act like they were tuned around it.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #6,654 of 10,194
Why not a dragonfly? I've heard quite often the headphones act like they were tuned around it.

Ah - I should have been more clear - I'm using a Fiio X5 as source, not computer. Sorry!

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #6,655 of 10,194
  Looking for a little advice here.

A while back, @EdwardPL said that the 'hawks don't play well with tube amps, they don't in general terms provide enough current and anyone who thinks otherwise is a numpty (paraphrasing)

I took exception to my POV being disregarded but did wonder if he had a point.
Then heard the Nighthawk's via ifi iDSD Micro and it genuinely changed my view of what these cans should sound like.
I still like the sound I get from my Little Dot MkIII but from the iDSD it's just a completely different league - especially with regard to high frequency clarity and prominence.

I cannot justify spending that money on myself, and don't really have a way to 'save' so the iDSD is out for now.
I also can't stop thinking about the quality of sound, I'm being haunted by it!
So I need to find an amp (which does not have to be portable) which can provide much the same experience.

Obvious choice is the iCan Micro (about half the price). 3D and Xbass are there, power seems good, control of gain is also there. But not filter options (trying to match the experience as closely as I can) and much written about Tube State sound. Has anyone heard both ifi products with the 'hawks and could compare?

Today I also saw the Aune X1S written about on here, and that sounds like it might be a viable option (no 3D switch but perhaps it provides the same space OOTB). Has anyone heard this with the 'hawks (and ideally heard the iDSD as well) and could comment?

And are there any amps (or DAC/amps) around the same price as the iCan Micro (I think like 300-350 dollars or below) that they know provides a 3D soundstage with plenty of high end presence with the Nighthawks? And delivers enough power/current to drive them to their best?

Sorry for the rambling post. I'll try to find somewhere to audition the Aune, probably won't be able to audition the iCan. But any help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated!

I think, you should rather look into DACs than amps. (Or DAC/amps.) X5 + Micro iCan won't give you the sound you heard with the iDSD, because the X5 has a less capable DAC section. The amp can only work with the sound quality it gets from the DAC.
I tested the new iDSD BL against my Mojo, and they are actually very close in sound quality. I would suggest to look out for one of them second hand. The other day I saw a Mojo for £300. Save up for one of these devices, you won't regret. Nothing really comes close to these DAC/amps in price/performance these days.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #6,656 of 10,194

I think, you should rather look into DACs than amps. (Or DAC/amps.) X5 + Micro iCan won't give you the sound you heard with the iDSD, because the X5 has a less capable DAC section. The amp can only work with the sound quality it gets from the DAC.
I tested the new iDSD BL against my Mojo, and they are actually very close in sound quality. I would suggest to look out for one of them second hand. The other day I saw a Mojo for £300. Save up for one of these devices, you won't regret. Nothing really comes close to these DAC/amps in price/performance these days.

Again, so sorry for not being clear originally (totally my bad) - my experience was with the X5 as source. Tried it via line in and also....coax? Not 100% sure, but tried it with X5 as DAC and iDSD as DAC - didn't hear much difference (so perhaps didn't really use the DAC of the iDSD)

I was able to try the Mojo with the X5 but it really didn't deliver at all....I suspect it was not set up properly since it was a bit of a rush as I was leaving the store having sadly decided I couldn't spring for the iDSD - then saw the Mojo and grabbed it for a try.

So yes, my life-changing experience was X5 into iDSD (as amp) and then Nighthawks. I agree that the price of the unit is fine, considering the incredible quality of audio. And it's not like I don't have the money, I just can't justify it as a gift to myself (coming in the same 12 month period as purchases of Nighthawks, LZA4s and a GTX 1070 graphics card!!!)

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #6,657 of 10,194

Again, so sorry for not being clear originally (totally my bad) - my experience was with the X5 as source. Tried it via line in and also....coax? Not 100% sure, but tried it with X5 as DAC and iDSD as DAC - didn't hear much difference (so perhaps didn't really use the DAC of the iDSD)

I was able to try the Mojo with the X5 but it really didn't deliver at all....I suspect it was not set up properly since it was a bit of a rush as I was leaving the store having sadly decided I couldn't spring for the iDSD - then saw the Mojo and grabbed it for a try.

So yes, my life-changing experience was X5 into iDSD (as amp) and then Nighthawks. I agree that the price of the unit is fine, considering the incredible quality of audio. And it's not like I don't have the money, I just can't justify it as a gift to myself (coming in the same 12 month period as purchases of Nighthawks, LZA4s and a GTX 1070 graphics card!!!)

buy a magni2/modi2  300bucks stack and and they all live happily ever after

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #6,658 of 10,194

Well if you are using the X5 as the source, arent the filters DAC dependent? It means that the rest of the features that you need would be available on the iCan.... That should probably be the next test that you do to verify ur thoughts.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #6,659 of 10,194

Then I suggest that you be patient and buy the idsd. It seems to be what you enjoyed the most. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #6,660 of 10,194
I apologize in advance as I'm sure that this has been covered before, yet I've been away from this site for a while and thought I've been looking I've yet to find the info I need.

I'm trying to find an online store to buy the AudioQuest Protein Leather Pads for my NightHawks. I've used the http://www.audioquest.com/dealer-locator/ but haven't found one yet that has them in stock. Is there a secret password needed that I'm not aware of or are they simply not available right now?  

Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back