AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 8, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #6,272 of 10,194

Fair enough.............I was hoping that a different tube used in your amp might do the trick.

I do like the Hawks, it's just the treble wasn't working out for me. I was hoping too, I do want to try the Nightowl Carbon and Nighthawk Carbon and see if it's any different. It could also be my particular Nighthawk is a bit rougher than normal too. I have enough experience with headphones that I know they can vary a fair amount even those know for good consistency, particularly in the treble. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #6,277 of 10,194
After a few hours of Initial listening; I find the sound to be similar to that of closed headphones where there is a lot of body to the sound, but still tries to be open and clear at the same time. These are Unique for sure. Also they are comfortable. Thank goodness.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #6,278 of 10,194
I think we need to be clear on the differences between rough and harsh treble.

Harsh treble usually comes from piercing peaks, looks like a massive shlong on the measurements ala HD800, T1.

NH's is tizzy, varies in levels through the treble, inconsistent and not cohesive. I would not says it's harsh, it is a bit etchy at the worst. Smooth trebles are headphones like the PMX2, HD650 which are effortless and smooth to the finish. I don't think Biocellulose drivers are capable of smooth treble but some modders believe so. I do think the NH would be perfect if it had a smooth treble.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #6,279 of 10,194

Harsh treble usually comes from piercing peaks, looks like a massive shlong on the measurements ala HD800, T1.

NH's is tizzy, varies in levels through the treble, inconsistent and not cohesive. I would not says it's harsh, it is a bit etchy at the worst. Smooth trebles are headphones like the PMX2, HD650 which are effortless and smooth to the finish. I don't think Biocellulose drivers are capable of smooth treble but some modders believe so. I do think the NH would be perfect if it had a smooth treble.

Listen to an R10 if you are ever able, it has essentially smoothest treble ever but it's a very different design and doesn't use the rubber surround. But I don't think the fostex inspired/based bio-cellulose used in the Hawks is capable of perfectly smooth treble and I think that may actually be partly due to the rubber surround. The etched treble on the Hawks became obvious compared to my DT 480(aluminum drivers). I do agree the HD 650 has smoother treble than the Hawks. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #6,280 of 10,194

Odd, my impressions are very different from yours - To my ears, the treble is very smooth, consistent and cohesive.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #6,281 of 10,194

Thankfully my ears don't hear anything resembling the treble nasties like: harsh, etched, tizzy, glassy, bright, piercing or sibillant. If it there, as EdwardPL's measurements may show, I guess I don't care as I personally don't hear it! Lucky for me I suppose. 
bigsmile_face.gif

If the NH sounded like what I have heard from some inexpensive Grado's (see the nasties above) I would never have considered keeping them.

Like all thing in audio we all hear, or in my case don't hear, sounds differently.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #6,282 of 10,194

Odd, my impressions are very different from yours - To my ears, the treble is very smooth, consistent and cohesive.

Yeah. I'm with you. I agree. Treble is smooooooth.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #6,283 of 10,194
  After a few hours of Initial listening; I find the sound to be similar to that of closed headphones where there is a lot of body to the sound, but still tries to be open and clear at the same time. These are Unique for sure. Also they are comfortable. Thank goodness.

My favorite thing to do as of late is to lay in bed at night when it's pitch black, eyes closed and listen to music at ~35% volume. Just let the Nighthawk paint you a picture with it's holographic speaker-headphone hybrid imaging. 

It's like going through the wormhole in the movie Interstellar. Things are flying past your ears and head while you're drifting through a deep cylinder. I can listen to almost any genre of music with the Nighthawk - incredibly musical headphones. Makes any piece of music sound beautiful and handmade like it was made personally for you to enjoy through the Nighthawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back