AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #5,176 of 10,194
​ive read distortion is low on NH. I listen to bass heavy genres pop, reggae, r n b, electronic etc. if I paired the NH with a mojo could I expect zero distortion and a smooth effortless sound at higher volumes with the above mentioned genres? auditioning is tricky for me. my current tube set is great for other genres.

Yes you can via the Mojo. I also listen to Base Heavy music and the Mojo delivers smooth audio into the Nighthawks. The Mojo has plenty of power to drive the Nighthawks with very low distortion.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #5,177 of 10,194
Just curious... any body tried the slappa case with these? I am looking for a smaller travelling solution than the existing leather box... lol. Just wondering if the Slappa case would be big enough.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #5,178 of 10,194
I've been using the NH with the Dragonfly Red on my Android phone for the past week while away during the holiday. At $200 this is an impressive portable combo. Heck, the DFR is impressive period and could be used to good effect for those on a budget for desktop use. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #5,179 of 10,194
I am looking for Audioquest's own original balanced XLR cable for my Nighthawks, but can't find them anywhere. Yes, I know Oppo's cable for the PM1s and 2s fit, but I would prefer the original. I could only find this:- https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/audioquest-nighthawk-balanced-headphone-cable
Unfortunately, it says "no longer available". I could not see anything on Audioquest's own web page.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5,180 of 10,194
  I am looking for Audioquest's own original balanced XLR cable for my Nighthawks, but can't find them anywhere. Yes, I know Oppo's cable for the PM1s and 2s fit, but I would prefer the original. I could only find this:- https://www.musicdirect.com/cables/audioquest-nighthawk-balanced-headphone-cable
Unfortunately, it says "no longer available". I could not see anything on Audioquest's own web page.

Contact an Audioquest dealer. I ordered one, it took about a week total to get from Audioquest. I got mine from Onecall.com

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #5,181 of 10,194

I was wondering the same thing. I just contacted Audioquest directly and will share what I hear back.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #5,184 of 10,194
  Thanks, only I get error code 16 "access denied" when I try onecall.com. I'm in Europe.

Any Audioquest dealer for your area should be able to order it for you from Audioquest. I just shared which dealer I went with (since they are in my region). 

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #5,185 of 10,194
From AudioQuest regarding balanced cables for the original NightHawk...

The balanced cable for NightHawks was available for purchase until recently.  Unfortunately now the original NightHawk cable is no longer available.  As we are transitioning to the new NightOwl Carbon and new NightHawk Carbon headphones which are using a new cable design.  The new NightHawk cable design will eventually be available as well for customization.  But there is no exact ETA for that.  Please check in again in a few weeks and we hope to have it available then.  Thank you.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #5,186 of 10,194
  From AudioQuest regarding balanced cables for the original NightHawk...

The balanced cable for NightHawks was available for purchase until recently.  Unfortunately now the original NightHawk cable is no longer available.  As we are transitioning to the new NightOwl Carbon and new NightHawk Carbon headphones which are using a new cable design.  The new NightHawk cable design will eventually be available as well for customization.  But there is no exact ETA for that.  Please check in again in a few weeks and we hope to have it available then.  Thank you.

Darn, that's too bad. I prefer the original cable as it uses solid conductors (although is not as reliable because of it). 

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #5,187 of 10,194
How does nighthawk compare to Final Sonorous III on mojo with soft rock, r&b & electric music?

I had the Final Sonorous Pandora Vl which I think is the better version of Sonorous lll.

Nighthawks are much smoother, more refined and better detail in bass. Nighthawks are overall much better headphone. With a little EQ, I wouldn't really research any more on a headphone unless you are planning to jump up to 6K-10K range setup. (DACS/Cables/Amps including.) If you dont like EQ, I just have a feeling the NightOwl Carbons will do with any headphone under 2K. (Won't be much difference or night/day)

R&B is very good with Nighthawks as well as Soft pop. Nighthawks excel in those genre along with Jazz.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #5,188 of 10,194
I had the Final Sonorous Pandora Vl which I think is the better version of Sonorous lll.

Nighthawks are much smoother, more refined and better detail in bass. Nighthawks are overall much better headphone. With a little EQ, I wouldn't really research any more on a headphone unless you are planning to jump up to 6K-10K range setup. (DACS/Cables/Amps including.) If you dont like EQ, I just have a feeling the NightOwl Carbons will do with any headphone under 2K. (Won't be much difference or night/day)

R&B is very good with Nighthawks as well as Soft pop. Nighthawks excel in those genre along with Jazz.

Thank you very much :) I am closer and closer to pulling the trigger now :)

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #5,189 of 10,194
Darn, that's too bad. I prefer the original cable as it uses solid conductors (although is not as reliable because of it). 

I have an original silver conductor cable to spare, since I am only using my Forza Noir Hybrid.
The silver cable has about 50 hours on it and was always handled with care.
So pm me if your interested.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #5,190 of 10,194
Hello everyone!  I have a question to ask of Nighthawk listeners:

I am currently looking for a pair of cans specifically to mix and produce music on.  

The key criteria for the headphones is: Easy-listening (non grating highs that will fatigue me), relatively uncolored/neutral sound, and lastly; comfort for long listening sessions.

I read some-pages back of people attesting to the mixing capabilities on these cans, as they can expose mud in the bass frequencies of a mix etc., making it easier to realize and fix.  On the flip side, I have also read others say the Nighthawks are very colored, and aren't good for analyzing the true fidelity of a mix, due to the rolled off highs etc.

Can anyone give me their 2c on these cans, and how the nighthawks might fair for mixing use?

Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back