AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #4,502 of 10,194
Anyone have some favourite amp/dacs they are using with the Nighthawks? I'm currently using Woo Audio WA7.

I really like the Violectric V281 with the Hawks. It beats my Woo WA22. The V281 and Hawks keeps me 100% satisfied.

LCD-3C sounds fantastic with the WA22 tho.

Using the Auralic Vega DAC for both amps.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #4,503 of 10,194

I really like the Violectric V281 with the Hawks. It beats my Woo WA22. The V281 and Hawks keeps me 100% satisfied.

LCD-3C sounds fantastic with the WA22 tho.

Using the Auralic Vega DAC for both amps.

That rolls off the tongue nice.

100% ? That's great if you're 100% sure. What were some of your previous favorite combos. Not to be cheeky just to get an idea, as you know, this is a complicated biz. :)

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4,504 of 10,194
  That rolls off the tongue nice.

100% ? That's great if you're 100% sure. What were some of your previous favorite combos. Not to be cheeky just to get an idea, as you know, this is a complicated biz. :)

Mate. I have tried a lot.

First it was HD700 and Oppo HA-1. Really didn't like HD700 (sooo harsh), Then got the LCD-3C (loved that), then realized I didn't like the Oppo DAC section so I purchased a Arcam DAC and feed that into the Oppo HA-1 (a improvement), then Woo WA22 with stacks of tube rolling, then switched out Arcam DAC for the Auralic Vega (probably the largest leap in sound quality), then the Hawks, Vega showed how bad the amp section of the Oppo HA-1 is (flat sounding) so switched to the Violectric V281.

and that's what I have now. Auralic Vega > Woo WA22 and Violectric V281 > LCD-3C and Hawks.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #4,505 of 10,194
  @Skylar Gray - Can you confirm the NightOwl pads & cable will be available for us Nighthawk owners separately to purchase? If so, any idea of when?

Yes, they will be available separately.

My plan is availability of pads and cables starting December 1. Even if we don't meet that date for whatever reason, it will be very soon after. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #4,508 of 10,194
I've been using the Little Dot MKiii (modest price of $300) with the Nighthawk and it's sounding very good so far.  Contrary to what most people might think, the NH can be compatible with tube amps.  There doesn't seem to be any coloration of the sound.  In fact, the Little Dot seems to give the NH the chance to display a nice airy and detailed sound.  I was running the O2 amp before and the Little Dot is so much better.  The O2 is just boring and dry by comparison.   I might be getting the Chord Mojo for listening with the iPhone too.  I know the founder/owner of Chord speaks very highly of the Nighthawk, and thinks the Mojo is a great pairing.  You can't get a better endorsement than that.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,510 of 10,194
I've been using the Little Dot MKiii (modest price of $300) with the Nighthawk and it's sounding very good so far.  Contrary to what most people might think, the NH can be compatible with tube amps.  There doesn't seem to be any coloration of the sound.  In fact, the Little Dot seems to give the NH the chance to display a nice airy and detailed sound.  I was running the O2 amp before and the Little Dot is so much better.  The O2 is just boring and dry by comparison.   I might be getting the Chord Mojo for listening with the iPhone too.  I know the founder/owner of Chord speaks very highly of the Nighthawk, and thinks the Mojo is a great pairing.  You can't get a better endorsement than that.

Correction, the founder/owner of Chord is John Franks. You are referring to Rob Watts who is contracted by Chord to design/engineer their DACs. And yes, it's a huge endorsement.

:beerchug:

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4,512 of 10,194
  I've been using the Little Dot MKiii (modest price of $300) with the Nighthawk and it's sounding very good so far.  Contrary to what most people might think, the NH can be compatible with tube amps.  There doesn't seem to be any coloration of the sound.  In fact, the Little Dot seems to give the NH the chance to display a nice airy and detailed sound.  

I second this!

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #4,513 of 10,194
Anyone have some favourite amp/dacs they are using with the Nighthawks? I'm currently using Woo Audio WA7.

This might sound ridiculous, but my DAC is a $70 ZuperDAC which I am really happy with. Actually I'm so happy with it that I have two of them: one for my laptop, and one for my Samsung S5 phone. Yet in spite of my being very happy with the ZuperDAC (and thanks to you guys) I am lusting for a Mojo :)

The NH's sound awesome off of my Samsung S5 + Zuperdac, but amps do add something. So off of my laptop's ZuperDAC, I either have 3 portable amps to choose from: (1) the cheapo C&C BH amp; (2) Fiio E12 (version 1) amp; or (3) Cayin C5 amp.

I mostly listen to the C&C BH amp because it has a 60 hour battery life (I'm lazy and hate having to recharge). It also has a vodoo "SF" switch that seems to nicely open up the soundstage into a 3D landscape. But the NH's don't need that effect very much, so I really also love the NH's off of the E12 amp because the bass turns into something amazing. I say E12 "version 1" because it was only produced for a short while and has a subtle yet extended sub-bass boost which really sounds awesome with the NH's (the blue line is the E12 version 1's bass boost FR);

The NH's off of the Cayin C5 sounds very good as well though, so I guess the point of my story is that the Nighthawks simply sound awesome... off of cheap or expensive gear - take your pick.
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #4,514 of 10,194
A big thanks to Badas for helping me to try to unlock and understand the mystery of the Nighthawk. Most reviews from HeadFiers or professionals have been pretty favorable, but most seemed a bit taken back initially by the sound.
Yes, Badas reminded me to allow some time before I make a snap judgement on the NH sound.

I should receive my pair from Amazon Wednesday and then see what the NH is all about!

30 day before deciding to keep or return should be enough time for nice driver break-in at any rate.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #4,515 of 10,194
  A big thanks to Badas for helping me to try to unlock and understand the mystery of the Nighthawk. Most reviews from HeadFiers or professionals have been pretty favorable, but most seemed a bit taken back initially by the sound.
Yes, Badas reminded me to allow some time before I make a snap judgement on the NH sound.

I should receive my pair from Amazon Wednesday and then see what the NH is all about!

30 day before deciding to keep or return should be enough time for nice driver break-in at any rate.

You're welcome and congrats.

Let us know what you think. Don't form any opinion until the 20 hour mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back