AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 2, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,556 of 10,194
  I just thought, I share this picture. Hopefully a visual delight for the thread. :)

Nighthawk is like listening to live music performance. With most of other headphones the perception is that you are listening to a recording in audiophile quality. Nighthawk breaks this barrier between music and listener, giving the illusion the 'recording' phase has been left out. With Nighthawks there is just music and listener, not much 'recording' to analyse.
I know, it sounds like marketing, but this really is my personal experience.

Could not have worded it better. That is exACTLY how it is. Love the coloration/pattern of these Hawks. Crazzzy baby!

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,557 of 10,194

I just thought, I share this picture. Hopefully a visual delight for the thread. :)

Nighthawk is like listening to live music performance. With most of other headphones the perception is that you are listening to a recording in audiophile quality. Nighthawk breaks this barrier between music and listener, giving the illusion the 'recording' phase has been left out. With Nighthawks there is just music and listener, not much 'recording' to analyse.

I know, it sounds like marketing, but this really is my personal experience.

Could not have worded it better. That is exACTLY how it is. Love the coloration/pattern of these Hawks. Crazzzy baby!

Totally agree

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,558 of 10,194

I can't get enough of the treble on this bad boy!

While every demo unit I have auditioned to date sounded muffled, this pair sounds so marvellously extended up top. I am glad I gave it one last chance, I am truly enjoying my time with it. I gotta try it with the hybrid HM5 pads though to see what improvements can be had. Any one got any xtra pair of those pads they can sell me? 

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #3,559 of 10,194

I can't get enough of the treble on this bad boy!

While every demo unit I have auditioned to date sounded muffled, this pair sounds so marvellously extended up top. I am glad I gave it one last chance, I am truly enjoying my time with it. I gotta try it with the hybrid HM5 pads though to see what improvements can be had. Any one got any xtra pair of those pads they can sell me? 

Try the velour instead of the hybrid, much better imo

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,560 of 10,194
Try the velour instead of the hybrid, much better imo

Based on your earlier recommendation of the velours, I ordered them in July off of amazon.ca. I still haven't received them though! Obviously lost, so I'll order up another pair. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,561 of 10,194
Lovely headphones. I think they are seriously underrated overall. Here is my full review.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #3,562 of 10,194
I love the sound of the Nighthawks but I am looking for something different to go with them. What would you recommend as a second pair of headphones that has a completely different sound than the hawks? I was thinking of picking up a pair of HD800's.

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #3,563 of 10,194
Indeed hd800 would definetely fit the bill by your stated requirements. Bare in mind that they need a good dac amp combo to really shine.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #3,564 of 10,194
Oct 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #3,566 of 10,194
^

Enjoyed the review. Very well done.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #3,569 of 10,194

Thanks for the review, @Mediahound! I like your balanced view of both headphones. It's given me comfort with an upcoming review of HD800S vs NightHawks because I'm finding the NightHawks slightly preferable overall despite the HD800S having some clear strengths.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,570 of 10,194
  Lovely headphones. I think they are seriously underrated overall. Here is my full review.

nice review, thanks. Your comment about the relatively slow decay makes me wonder if you think they're better suited for genres other than, for example, energetic rock or EDM. I've read similar comments in other reviews about how the Nighthawk is a bit lacking in the speed/attack areas -- sort of the opposite of what people say about the Elears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back