AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #196 of 10,194
Sep 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #197 of 10,194
Search eBay for Oppo pm-1 or sennheiser hd700 cables. Those are compatible with the Nighthawk, balanced or single ended.

Also Oppo sells theirs on their website: http://oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=45

Note, only the PM-1 and PM-2 cables fit, not the PM-3 ones.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #198 of 10,194

Be careful, the HD700 plugs are smaller than the Oppo, not compatible.

They're both 2.5mm mono jacks at the ear cups.  Perhaps the hole (for lack of a better word) in the HD700 is smaller but the jack is still 2.5mm. At any rate a HD700 compatible cable will fit in the Nighthawks just fine since the hold is big enough. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #199 of 10,194

They're both 2.5mm mono jacks at the ear cups.  Perhaps the hole (for lack of a better word) in the HD700 is smaller but the jack is still 2.5mm. At any rate a HD700 compatible cable will fit in the Nighthawks just fine since the hold is big enough. 

I'm very sorry, you are correct!  I was confusing the oppo plug with the sony which is 3.5mm.

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #203 of 10,194
Sep 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #204 of 10,194
Sep 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #205 of 10,194
Sep 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #206 of 10,194
Bummer! Even the pads and the cable look gold!

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #207 of 10,194
Being the OP I think I should add my 2 cents. I currently finished my review of the Violectric V281 and the Nighthawk was one of the headphones I used.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v281/reviews/13835

As I side note I've been using the Nighthawks with the Centrance HiFi-M8 which is a great portable DAC/Amp with my iPhone. The M8 is a brighter amp compared to the V281. The M8 is a great match for the Nighthawk. The sensitivity of the Nighthawks with the M8 portapower=Super loud. :) At this very moment I'll listening to some Usher via HIFI Tidal and it's almost a basshead can with the mids and treble all included.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #208 of 10,194
Hmmm, portable with the Nighthawks? How? I mean, they're light enough, small enough, and sound better than any portable out, but that leakage, it's like carrying a ghetto blaster around

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #209 of 10,194
I've just taken delivery of a shiny new pair of Nighthawks 
beerchug.gif

Initial impressions are shared with the frequently used descriptions on this thread - that the sound is incredibly liquid and immersive.  Listening to well known music they really are quite revelatory in terms of the extra layers and detail of sound that is revealed.  I'm aware though that a long burn in time is recommended so I'll reserve full judgement for a while, then come back with more detailed observations.

In the meantime, and if Skylar is reading this, I do have some feedback.

Everything about the construction side of the Nighthawks is exemplary. I really, really appreciate the thought and effort put into designing this product from the ground up.  It looks gorgeous and is hands down the most comfortable headphone I've ever placed on my head.  This product deserves a place in design museums - and I'm sure you'll see it there soon.

There's one single issue:  others have mentioned an unpleasant odour from the product.  I too notice this, and having removed one of the ear cushions I've confirmed that it emanates from the "protein leather"  aka "leatherette" or "faux leather" or artificial leather.  In my understanding what I and others are smelling are the chemical plasticisers in the PVC used to make it. Given the attention to detail used elsewhere on the product, for instance the non off-gassing liquid wood coating, I feel at a loss as to why the product would have been compromised in this way.  Quite apart from the unpleasant chemical smell, if you research PVC and other plastics you'll find that there are significant and known issues to do with off-gassing and the toxicity of plasticisers and other chemicals used in production.  Japanese car manufacturers began a process of eliminating such fabrics from their vehicles back in 2007.

Skylar - how I wish you'd used Italian vegetable tanned natural leather instead.  It's super, super soft (as any Italian glove owner will tell you) It breathes, it smells gorgeous, it's natural, and it would undoubtedly enhance the look and perceived value of the Nighthawk.

May I humbly plead with you to consider producing Italian Veg tanned leather pads?  Even if it's an additional cost accessory.  I'd gladly pay for what I think would be superior.  As it is, the existing pads don't quite provide enough breathe-ability, and the smell detracts from the listening experience.  It grabs part of my sensory attention away from the music, and that just isn't good.

So how about it Skylar?  Even the chance of a spare plastic frame and pad would be appreciated, and I'll get my own made.

Please?

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #210 of 10,194

May I humbly plead with you to consider producing Italian Veg tanned leather pads?  Even if it's an additional cost accessory.  I'd gladly pay for what I think would be superior.  As it is, the existing pads don't quite provide enough breathe-ability, and the smell detracts from the listening experience.  It grabs part of my sensory attention away from the music, and that just isn't good.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back