AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jul 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #437 of 957
600 dollars? I'm not seeing it. Sure they might sound good. But,liquid wood and plastic? Probably made in China. I would say 300 but not 600. There are headphones made out of better materials and just as good of sound for the same or less money.

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #438 of 957
600 dollars? I'm not seeing it. Sure they might sound good. But,liquid wood and plastic? Probably made in China. I would say 300 but not 600. There are headphones made out of better materials and just as good of sound for the same or less money.

What are your impressions on how these headphones sound?

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #439 of 957

Hey Jim, you  may want to listen to them when you get the chance. I have them and they are bargain at the price. My  commentary is elsewhere  in this forum. As for being made in China, many of the worlds finest electronics parts, DAC's etc. are made there. If these headphones were made in China then I for one can say they did an excellent job of work. Only my opinion.

Leo

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #440 of 957
I apologize I thought this was a thread about the headphones and impressions. I was wrong. Not downing China just that they make really good sounding headphones for less like the HE-400i.

Hey Jim, you  may want to listen to them when you get the chance. I have them and they are bargain at the price. My  commentary is elsewhere  in this forum. As for being made in China, many of the worlds finest electronics parts, DAC's etc. are made there. If these headphones were made in China then I for one can say they did an excellent job of work. Only my opinion.

Leo

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #441 of 957
  I apologize I thought this was a thread about the headphones and impressions. I was wrong. Not downing China just that they make really good sounding headphones for less like the HE-400i.

Yes, impressions. If you're comparing them with the 400i then I trust you've heard both? If so, please share.

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #442 of 957
Skylar Gray asked if I could post this here. I should have placed it here in the first place! LOL!

Those of you who know me, understand that I am about as loquacious as any 80 year old geezer gets...sorry to disappoint you but words elude me for once. My new Audioquest Nighthawks have been burning in for perhaps four hours and I will tell you that my lower jaw is aching from dropping open in awe and wonder. Perhaps as senility encroaches on my noodle, I have become childishly easy to please, but I don't really think so.
I have spent the last hour listening to Flamenco guitar music and this set up Nighthawks have brought those Spaniards and Gypsies right into my den. Suffice it to say, these head cans don't miss a thing, every finer movement over the strings and frets, the deep thumps when the players beat the body of the guitar in rhythm with their beautiful music and the full decaying of the various end notes when the fingers stop moving. I can clearly hear the warmth of the fine woods reverberating harmonically. The music fairly sizzles. And the Nighthawks dip deeply into the bass register provided by the Infinity DAC. The depth of the sound-stage plumbs fathoms with these babies...profound and black! The mids are balanced with the high and low ends to provide a well focused, natural sound and a real presence at the venue/sound studio/whatever.
To be frank, I can't see how what I am hearing can be improved...I mean how real is real! How pure is the master tape? I suspect that is how real and pure these wondrous head cans are. To top it off, and this may be heresy, but if the Senheiser 800's or the HiFi Man 1000's are better than these, I am a doubting Thomas unwilling to fork over another half or full grand more for whatever very slight improvement they might provide. There, I said it!
Seriously, I cannot see how much better these Nighthawks will get by further burning in. IMHO Skylar Gray has knocked one right out of the park. Cliched eh, but it is accurate! My only complaint is that the grain pattern in my liquid wood is not as pretty as others I have seen in photographs...never mind, I'll live with that. BTW they are super comfortable. The suspension system makes them fit my noggin with aplomb and they are light too without feeling like a toy...solidly built, beautiful,comfortable and they are priced right at $699 Canadian, $599 in US dollars. Watch out! Unless I miss the mark, people are going to love these beauties. I am already in love! Jeez! First the great Pulse Infinity and now these...Happy Birthday to me!

Cheers to all
Leo  
gs1000.gif

P.S. I know, I know! I said words failed me! I lied! ROTFLMFO!

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #443 of 957

Have you ever seen the HD800?
deadhorse.gif

I spent a while with the Nighthawks this afternoon, I'm struck by how comfortable and well-built the headphones are. The pads are extremely soft, the pseudo-AKG style headband is comfy (more so than any actual AKG I've tried), and the rubber suspension is a wonderful way to allow the cups to flex. Clamping pressure feels just right to me, tight enough to wear the headphones in any position but certainly not overtight (somewhat lighter than HD600). The headphones feel very 'deluxe' with the attractive liquid wood and copious leather treatment. The packaging is very nice.

The Nighthawk sounds very dark to me, and I'm a hardcore HD650 fan, however it didn't have a problem with detail. While I noticed that the bass was slightly bloomy, I don't think that it really obscured the background. I thought that the Nighthawk had a very realistic and pleasing timbre, particularly on acoustic guitar or saxophone. The headphones attenuated a surprising amount of outside noise. If you push the headphones tighter on your ears with music playing, the pressure changes and music becomes extremely muffled while you press, they seal more tightly than the venting would suggest.

I love the fit and finish of the Nighthawk, tonally they are subdued and very relaxing. Overall I think that they're a good bet for anyone who doesn't mind a dark-sounding headphone.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #444 of 957
I have always had a hard time in my mind understanding what 'dark' means in this case. I have read it in regard to the Sennheiser 700's...can anyone give me a metaphor that makes 'dark' clearer to this aged brain?
Yes, the Nighthawks are very good at picking out detail and they deal really well with things like castinets, brushes on a drum skin, clapping and other sounds like that that are short, sharp or raspy in nature. For example, the sound of an audience clapping is very similar to the sound of waves moving over a gravel or stone ocean/lake bottom. The Nighthawks differentiates these sounds beautifully... a clapping audience does not sound like water roiling over stones and gravel. Also it is clear in Flamenco music what the castinets are doing. Speaking of Flamenco or guitar music, these headphones do a great job reproducing the zip of fingernails over a guitar string and when the player strikes the body of the guitar with his hand or the meaty part of his palm, the warmth of the wood and the bass emanating from the guitar's body is rich and mellow.
I found the nh's ability ro  reach deeply into the bass clef''s area of sound very powerful, but I wouldn't have characterized it as 'bloomy' or certainly not 'boomy' . To my ears the bass is an area of strength for these ear cans. There may be a very slight sibilance in the altissimo register of sounds, but only slight and not always.
I still wish my liquid wood would have had a lighter swirl of grain wave. Mine is kind of flat...but no matter. There is no perfection in this Universe at least eh. 
frown.gif

Leo

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #445 of 957
"I spent a while with the Nighthawks this afternoon, I'm struck by how comfortable and well-built the headphones are. The pads are extremely soft, the pseudo-AKG style headband is comfy (more so than any actual AKG I've tried), and the rubber suspension is a wonderful way to allow the cups to flex. Clamping pressure feels just right to me, tight enough to wear the headphones in any position but certainly not overtight (somewhat lighter than HD600). The headphones feel very 'deluxe' with the attractive liquid wood and copious leather treatment. The packaging is very nice"

I totally agree with this!! You took the words right out of my mouth. Well done mate! Again Skylar Gray showed his genius with the physical design of these headphones. Good that he has patented his suspension system. Kudos Skylar!

Leo

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #446 of 957
  I have always had a hard time in my mind understanding what 'dark' means in this case. I have read it in regard to the Sennheiser 700's...can anyone give me a metaphor that makes 'dark' clearer to this aged brain?

Leo

Leo,

To me, when I'm reviewing something I describe as "dark" I'm referring to the overall tone. A dark piece places greater weight on the lower register of each instrument as opposed to allowing the full spectrum to play forth. Can't speak for others, but that's what dark is to me. 

Oh, and I've yet to hear the Nighthawks, though I'm told I'll have a pair soon. When I do, I'll post my thoughts on their sound.

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #447 of 957

Leo,

To me, when I'm reviewing something I describe as "dark" I'm referring to the overall tone. A dark piece places greater weight on the lower register of each instrument as opposed to allowing the full spectrum to play forth. Can't speak for others, but that's what dark is to me. 

Oh, and I've yet to hear the Nighthawks, though I'm told I'll have a pair soon. When I do, I'll post my thoughts on their sound.

Thanks John! That clarifies a bit for me. Does 'dark' also imply 'heavy' or 'veiled' ?
I think you will love your new headphones!

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #448 of 957
I listened to them a little earlier today and I would agree with many of the observations said.  I found them very detailed and smooth, while being weighted more in the lows and mids. They were very relaxing to listen to and I enjoyed it very much.  I would say they weren't as engaging as my B&W P7's but difinately weren't lacking in detail in the upper end it just wasn't as forward.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #449 of 957
Well like I said I apologize. I'm 53 years old and I build things. So when I look at something for a certain price or price point I take into account how much it cost to build it. I will say again I apologize.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #450 of 957
  I listened to them a little earlier today and I would agree with many of the observations said.  I found them very detailed and smooth, while being weighted more in the lows and mids. They were very relaxing to listen to and I enjoyed it very much.  I would say they weren't as engaging as my B&W P7's but difinately weren't lacking in detail in the upper end it just wasn't as forward.

Thanks Oklahoma! I think I understand what you mean, yet to my ears the highs sounded quite balanced in concert with the mids and bass...but then that is why we have different reviewers eh! Eah set of ears and brain will translate what is heard differently. It is by hearing everyone's imput that we get a clearwe and sharper picture of any audio device.
Wellspoken mate!

Cheers
Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back