Audioquest Dragonfly vs ...?? (Gaming,Music, PC, Nexus 4)
Oct 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 25
  My Nuforce uDAC works quite well with my laptop, and HTC One ( 4.3 ) but it does hit the phone battery pretty hard.. Just sayin'.

Did you have to root your phone/use custom roms to make it work on your phone?

Do you think there'll be any improvements while gaming?

Sigh, I've been considering scrapping the whole Dac/Amp idea.. I'll might just allocate my dac/amp money towards a better iem. This stuff seems like too much of a hassle.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #18 of 25
Rooting? Nope. Works right out of the box, perfectly.

Gaming on my phone, that's just silly to me. That's what my PS3 is for.. 

I've also been considering this. Much more simple.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 25
  Rooting? Nope. Works right out of the box, perfectly.

Gaming on my phone, that's just silly to me. That's what my PS3 is for.. 

I've also been considering this. Much more simple.

Lol, nope,

Music = Nexus 4,
Gaming = Laptop

I need one DAC that'll work for both, but i'm at the edge of giving up the DAC thing and using that money for a more expensive iem.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #21 of 25
  did you check the E18? should be coming out soon and its Android focused :)

should also work with laptop

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002

Yes, I have been primarily considering that, read ClieOS's preview/review too.

But it seems like the E18 would create no advantage for gaming whatsoever. In fact, some have said the Fiio dac's worsen your gaming audio experience due to how they change the soundstage. Fiio's DACs may improve music, but they don't have the same effect on gaming, apparently.

Anyways, I'm probably just gonna allocate the money for a better iem. Or not spend more money at all. Considering that I don't have a high end IEM, I'm not gonna benefit much from a DAC. Seriously, the best IEM I have is the Sony XBA 3, and even then I prefer my SoundMagic E30 because I like the sound signature/airiness/fit better (and the xba 3 sound metallic). My next purchase is probably going to be either a GR07 or a EPH-100, I'm gonna try to get an ears on trial from a friend before buying. If I feel like it, I might go all out and purchase a UE900. But I probably won't.

Either ways, I'm probably not getting a DAC. Its too expensive, and I can't find a "one dac does all" type of a product to benefit both music and gaming.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 25
If you're planning for a new IEM, I would consider looking at Red Giant Ossicles.. the reviews for them make them sound awesome for gaming. I personally don't have it though so I'm not sure.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 25
Hmm. What should I look for in an IEM that I'd want for gaming? What kind of sound signature is good? 

Depends on your preference really. I personally use Sennheiser Pc320 for gaming due to it's open design for a good sound stage and not heating up, it also has reduced bass so I can hear footsteps rather than explosions all the time, and it's velour pads.
If you want an immersive experience though, a large sound stage with decent bass would probably be the best choice. It'd be great for movies too.

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 25
Depends on your preference really. I personally use Sennheiser Pc320 for gaming due to it's open design for a good sound stage and not heating up, it also has reduced bass so I can hear footsteps rather than explosions all the time, and it's velour pads.
If you want an immersive experience though, a large sound stage with decent bass would probably be the best choice. It'd be great for movies too.

For me, Nice Airy Soundstage > Immersive experience. 

But I'm not gonna go for headphones, I'm gonna stick with iems.

Either ways, I think, this thread's over, I've decided on not getting a DAC/AMP. I don't see it helping gaming sufficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back