AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #1,247 of 2,514
Quote:
You run the system volume of your computer at 100% and that is basically running the Dragonfly as a line out.  I prefer using it in that manner over as a headphone amp.

Please bear with me here... In my understanding the amp I use must have a volume control to offset part of the 100% system volume. What if I don't use 100% system volume, but still connect the DF with an external amp, and then my headphone? Will the DF still serve only as a DAC, or both DAC and amp? Will that impact the external amp?

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,248 of 2,514
What is your purpose of using another amp? Does that amp have a volume control on it?   It will always be a DAC and if you adjust the system volume control instead of the end of the chain amplifier you will be using the Dragonfly as a Pre-Amp.  I don't know how that affects the audio quality - you'll have to ask something who has tried that.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,249 of 2,514
Quote:
What is your purpose of using another amp? Does that amp have a volume control on it?   It will always be a DAC and if you adjust the system volume control instead of the end of the chain amplifier you will be using the Dragonfly as a Pre-Amp.  I don't know how that affects the audio quality - you'll have to ask something who has tried that.

The reason to use another amp is that the amp inside DF is not good enough to drive HD 650 well. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,252 of 2,514
Quote:
Then set your system and application volume to 100% and do the volume control on your amplifier.  That is how you are supposed to use it.

You are only talking here about if you have another amp on the end of your DF ??
If I try to turn the app\sys volume to 100% with my IEMs plugged into the DF...I would blow them up...along with my ear drums
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,255 of 2,514
The DF amps fine with the HD650's from my MBPro....

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,257 of 2,514
Aug 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #1,259 of 2,514
Quote:
Is it any SQ improvement for HD650 if we connect the DF to an external amplifier?

According to your profile - you have a couple different amplifiers. Why don't you test for yourself and report back your findings?  Probably better than someone else telling you.    My opinion is YES, but I'm using full size desktop amplifiers with my HDX00 lineup.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,260 of 2,514
Quote:
Quote:
The DF amps fine with the HD650's from my MBPro....

Is it any SQ improvement for HD650 if we connect the DF to an external amplifier?

I would assume a higher quality amp would improve things. However, since I travel a lot, the DF in its primary form serves my need very well. I get to go home to Tubes and a 10X more expensive DAC so I am not as concerned about it when I am away from home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back