AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
May 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2,371 of 2,514
I got the BLACK and I am somewhat disappointed for the driving capabilities. The volume output is the same as my macbook air, I was expecting something more to be honest. I tried many iems: eph100, re400, ie80, se215, Pistons3 all with good results. Beyer t51p, Audio Technica m50x, good too.
The sound is more "open" and "detailed". Also the bass seems to have better texture and articulation. (compared to my Iphone 6 and Macbook air)
The problem is with Sennheiser hd 600 and Fostex t50RP mk3. The 600s is almost good I just miss a bit of volume, with the t50RP mk3 I got only moderate listening volume.

With the Fiio Apen I can drive all them easily. 

I don't know... maybe I need the RED.

May 11, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,372 of 2,514
Red drives my Q701s just fine.

May 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,373 of 2,514
  I got the BLACK and I am somewhat disappointed for the driving capabilities. The volume output is the same as my macbook air, I was expecting something more to be honest. I tried many iems: eph100, re400, ie80, se215, Pistons3 all with good results. Beyer t51p, Audio Technica m50x, good too.
The sound is more "open" and "detailed". Also the bass seems to have better texture and articulation. (compared to my Iphone 6 and Macbook air)
The problem is with Sennheiser hd 600 and Fostex t50RP mk3. The 600s is almost good I just miss a bit of volume, with the t50RP mk3 I got only moderate listening volume.

With the Fiio Apen I can drive all them easily. 

I don't know... maybe I need the RED.

How is the synergy of the DF BLACK with RE-400 in particular?

May 12, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,377 of 2,514
I've returned both the Black and Red. 
I preferred the sound straight out of my Macbook Pro more. 
Also with my Galaxy S7 it didn't add enough and i prefer the sound of my Fiio X3, which then renders the DF again useless. 
In my experience it just adds power and some sort of a filter on the sound, like a EQ setting. To me it didn't add enough to justify the price.
The RED is more refined than the BLACK, but considering the price i'd personally invest in a different DAC. Quite disappointed after the raving reviews. 

May 12, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #2,378 of 2,514
  I've returned both the Black and Red. 
I preferred the sound straight out of my Macbook Pro more. 
Also with my Galaxy S7 it didn't add enough and i prefer the sound of my Fiio X3, which then renders the DF again useless. 
In my experience it just adds power and some sort of a filter on the sound, like a EQ setting. To me it didn't add enough to justify the price.
The RED is more refined than the BLACK, but considering the price i'd personally invest in a different DAC. Quite disappointed after the raving reviews. 

These negative reviews are disheartening.  I've been using version 1.2 for a year or so and was hoping that the Red would be a reasonable upgrade.  Now it seems that the difference in sound quality may be minimal at best, or may even be degraded.  I may try it anyway since my mileage may vary.

May 12, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,379 of 2,514
i'm going to go listen to the new black and red dragonflys, alongside the chord mojo, this saturday at a local retailer.
...just will use my LG nexus 5 with a generica OTG cable...hopefully I'll hear some significant differences vs standalone phone.
source will  only be spotify, however

May 12, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,381 of 2,514
  i'm going to go listen to the new black and red dragonflys, alongside the chord mojo, this saturday at a local retailer.
...just will use my LG nexus 5 with a generica OTG cable...hopefully I'll hear some significant differences vs standalone phone.
source will  only be spotify, however

Why are you using a crap source? Spotify is worthless as a demo source. You need to use a high quality source and Spotify is not it.

May 12, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,382 of 2,514
Why are you using a crap source? Spotify is worthless as a demo source. You need to use a high quality source and Spotify is not it.

320 ogg vorbis is not cr*p. Don't know where people get this cr*p from. It's pretty bl**dy good really. That's probably enough expletives for one post :wink:

May 12, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #2,383 of 2,514
320 ogg vorbis is not cr*p. Don't know where people get this cr*p from. It's pretty bl**dy good really. That's probably enough expletives for one post :wink:

even when spotify (premium, which I used) is compared to Tidal (and i've tried both) i don't find significant diffs.
audio streaming is the way of the future imo and the bitrate transmissions for better quality sound will only improve as well.
sure i also have 400 itunes, too, which I'll also use.
I don't have any flac downloads or whatnot..just got back into audio about 1 yrs ago..before then had given away alot of my CD collections to charity.
sure i can always download/buy from various sources, but increasingly i'm not into owning any longer (at least for now)...love the freedom and new exposure that both spotify and tidal, for that matter has afforded me into new venues/artists.

but am also looking at bandcamp...feel free to suggest other more cost affordable but also good quality sources for downloads (vs streaming)
i'm open to suggestions.

May 12, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #2,384 of 2,514
Originally Posted by canali /img/forum/go_quote.gif

feel free to suggest other more cost affordable but also good quality sources for downloads (vs streaming)
i'm open to suggestions.

You could sign up for  HDTracks and download their free sampler. That would give you some good quality music to use to test the different DACs.

May 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,385 of 2,514
I'm actually quite happy with my 'free' Amazon Prime Music which is on average 256mp3 , I believe,  for occasional streaming. Not a full range of artists but I can always find something intersting and new to listen to. Sounds very decent on a mobile phone or compter + dac/amp.  Having said that most of my purchased music is in the form of CD (cheaper than downloads on the whole), lossless rips of those or Hi Res/ lossless downloads mainly (again cheaper on Qobuz than AAC on iTunes Edit AND HD Tracks!). Its about the music  I suppose not analysing the quality of the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back