AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
May 5, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #2,356 of 2,514
-> RE: Hubert481   

Thanks for the link  !  Interesting that it takes a warm-up period for a DAC to sound best.  

Does this mean that every time a DAC is used that it won't sound best until it is left on for 24 hours?  

Wouldn't this would kind of defeat the purpose of a small portable DAC like the Dragonfly Red?  I mean, I'd like great sound after a few minutes at most when using a phone or computer with the Dragonfly.    

OR am I misunderstanding?

May 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,357 of 2,514
Anyway, I have returned it. May look at the Black at £89.99 or the cheaper HRT dSp.

Bought a Geek Out 720 for same price in the end and I'm pretty happy pretty impressive hot running little thing. It's mainly computer only but does run otg off my Moto X.

May 5, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,358 of 2,514
  -> RE: Hubert481   

Thanks for the link  !  Interesting that it takes a warm-up period for a DAC to sound best.  

Does this mean that every time a DAC is used that it won't sound best until it is left on for 24 hours?  

Wouldn't this would kind of defeat the purpose of a small portable DAC like the Dragonfly Red?  I mean, I'd like great sound after a few minutes at most when using a phone or computer with the Dragonfly.    

OR am I misunderstanding?

The 24 hour burn in, which AQ recommends in their instruction manual, is a one-time thing much like headphone burn-in. Most solid state amps do not require warm up after they are broken in. Tube amps, on the other hand, require anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour of warm-up to reach their optimal sound.

May 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,359 of 2,514
  I've got the Dragonfly Black and Red as a trial. So far i've just played around with the Black & Red on my Macbook Pro... 
First impression isn't that positive. Actually it sounds worse then directly to my Macbook Pro. 
A few things i've noticed so far with the BLACK:
- The sound is more full, more bassy, but also more muddy an not as detailed as the MBP. It sounds more as a equalizer setting than a big DAC improvement.
- The background noise the MBP gives a bit is gone, so that's positive. 

With the RED:
- The placement of sound is different. More up forward and "live like" i guess. Sound is weirdly more focused on the right, not the center. 
- Sound is more neutral and less bassy, but not better then the MBP which has more clarity and balance. Although here the background noise is gone too, so that's good. 
Both still feel quite out of balance and not an improvement. It may need just more run-in time...

Well, to be honest, same experience with the Red here.

I'm quite disappointed. Lots of hype over months, the sound was promised to improve enormously over 1.2. I used to hear with dragonfly 1.2 and AQ jitter bug on PC and could not wait for the new Red to appear. Well the difference is, the Red has more power, is louder, at he same time a bit darker, more veiled. Everything seems to be out of balance, no details, no separation of instruments. The new dragonflies were invented to work with mobile phones imho, that's the hole thing. Users with pc were promised a sound improvement over 1.2 at the same time which I cannot confirm at all and is only a marketing statement. I'm using AKG K-702 headphones, quite a precise and resolving machine. Hearing flac files with JRiver on PC with WASAPI, all settings optimized. Music is no longer flowing somehow. Heard the ifi micro idsd which is a LARGE step forward. The red is a step back to me.

Burning in is never a solution in my experience if a gear doesn't sound good within the first seconds which the Dragonfly 1.2 did! Although there is a certain improvement with burning in a gear, it doesn't turn a bad soundig device into a good sounding device. 

I will return it.
confused_face.gif

Greets GerMan

May 7, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,360 of 2,514
interesting the contrasts....so i emailed audioquest an invitation to join this site and have a rep on this and other AQ related threads
similar to what the other major players (chord, iFi etc) do, to resolve issues, drum up more sales and increase good PR.

friendly suggestion: why don't you join the headfi.org forum as does chord and ifi  on headfi.org for their own product threads?
 imo that way you build better customer rapport and also resolve people's queries...i'm surprised
no one is doing this from AQ, given the popularity of its products. esp with the newly released dragonflys.
If however someone is, then i apologize for not being attentive.

i'll post this to headfi.org too

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/150#post_12563732

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/2355#post_12560617

just a friendly headsup to increase good cust relations.

cheers
canali

May 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,361 of 2,514
email reply i just received.

Thanks JW. 

we are all at the Munich audio show. We'll jump in soon. 

Regards,

Steve Silberman
AudioQuest

Quote:
  interesting the contrasts....so i emailed audioquest an invitation to join this site and have a rep on this and other AQ related threads
similar to what the other major players (chord, iFi etc) do, to resolve issues, drum up more sales and increase good PR.

riendly suggestion: why don't you join the headfi.org forum as does chord and ifi  on headfi.org for their own product threads?
 imo that way you build better customer rapport and also resolve people's queries...i'm surprised
no one is doing this from AQ, given the popularity of its products. esp with the newly released dragonflys.
If however someone is, then i apologize for not being attentive.

i'll post this to headfi.org too

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/150#post_12563732

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/2355#post_12560617

just a friendly headsup to increase good cust relations.

cheers
canali

May 9, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,362 of 2,514
Im thinking of picking up one of these as I'm looking for something portable that will give me a bit of "bass boost" and "fulness" for my EX1000s. Its to bad I can't use my Panasonic Walkman which had a boost setting that was perfect, now Im looking to replicate it with something else. I like the portability of this unit and hope its what Im looking for.

May 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,363 of 2,514
  Im thinking of picking up one of these as I'm looking for something portable that will give me a bit of "bass boost" and "fulness" for my EX1000s. Its to bad I can't use my Panasonic Walkman which had a boost setting that was perfect, now Im looking to replicate it with something else. I like the portability of this unit and hope its what Im looking for.

I haven't heard the Black, which people are reporting has a warmer sound, but the Red definitely has bit less mid-bass slam than either of my smartphones' headphone outs. The bass extends low and headphones with good sub-bass extension will show it, but it's a neutral tuning and not emphasized, at least not to my ears. If bass boost is your intention then the Red is not for you.

May 9, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,364 of 2,514
i picked up a dragonfly 1.2 yesterday. A great and portable little dac for sure! Had a chance to do a quick listen to the 1.2 and also the black version in the shop. Quick impressions on the differences are: the black is louder, more bassy + a bit more muddy. The difference in soundstage/detail seemed fairly minimal between the two. Both were leagues better than my laptop headphone out. Def night and day after 5 seconds. (small 11inch asus laptop).  All in all they both seem more enjoyable to listen to than using my previous calyxm as a computer dac. I dont use with a smartphone so cant comment on that. £69 in the UK  :)

May 9, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,365 of 2,514
Wish I'd kept that 1.2 after all. Where did you get it for £69 ?
  i picked up a dragonfly 1.2 yesterday. A great and portable little dac for sure! Had a chance to do a quick listen to the 1.2 and also the black version in the shop. Quick impressions on the differences are: the black is louder, more bassy + a bit more muddy. The difference in soundstage/detail seemed fairly minimal between the two. Both were leagues better than my laptop headphone out. Def night and day after 5 seconds. (small 11inch asus laptop).  All in all they both seem more enjoyable to listen to than using my previous calyxm as a computer dac. I dont use with a smartphone so cant comment on that. £69 in the UK  :)

May 9, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #2,366 of 2,514
Hi guys,

Has anyone compared the original DF with the DF black?

I have been using my original DF with my Note 4 and my 2 IEMs (RE-400 and Flare R2Pros) and the synergy is out of this world!
My only problem is that it does suck a lot of power and I have to have a spare Note batter in my pocket when I'm on the go.

The new DF black promises much lower consumption. The thing is how it sounds compared to the first DF, Even if they are very close one another, I'd still pull the trigger.
I'm also considering selling my DAP (DX90) in favour of this setup. Yes, it's that good.

Many thanks.

May 9, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,367 of 2,514
Hi guys,

Has anyone compared the original DF with the DF black?

I have been using my original DF with my Note 4 and my 2 IEMs (RE-400 and Flare R2Pros) and the synergy is out of this world!
My only problem is that it does suck a lot of power and I have to have a spare Note batter in my pocket when I'm on the go.

The new DF black promises much lower consumption. The thing is how it sounds compared to the first DF, Even if they are very close one another, I'd still pull the trigger.
I'm also considering selling my DAP (DX90) in favour of this setup. Yes, it's that good.

Many thanks.

See 2 posts above!

(EDIT comparison of 1.2 that is SORRY)

The new generation are getting some mixed feedback

May 10, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #2,369 of 2,514
Nice review! :)
I got the RED and I really like it. Hearing that the battery drainage wasn't that much different after all between the two made the decision for me to go with RED. Really nice nifty little thing!

May 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,370 of 2,514
  I haven't heard the Black, which people are reporting has a warmer sound, but the Red definitely has bit less mid-bass slam than either of my smartphones' headphone outs. The bass extends low and headphones with good sub-bass extension will show it, but it's a neutral tuning and not emphasized, at least not to my ears. If bass boost is your intention then the Red is not for you.

Thanks, I will look out for the Black one perhaps. Just a bit of bass is all I need!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back