AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,351 of 2,514
I thought I read the 1.1s have a leather-like bag included in the package. The 1.0s didn't. Can anyone confirm?

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,354 of 2,514
So AudioAdvisor sent the following email to customers:

“Why the $150 Savings?
AudioQuest will shortly release DragonFly v1.2, so they were willing to sell us DragonFly v1.0 at a low closeout price. But here's the secret scoop on v1.0. It's really a v1.1 with identical specs to the forthcoming v1.2. The original v1.0 units were updated last year in an unannounced running change. They removed a capacitor and improved the mini headphone jack to improve reliability. This version also had a software upgrade, but when you plug one into a computer, the computer still reads "DragonFly v1.0".

So get the DragonFly v1.0 at our low closeout price and enjoy superb sound quality on the cheap!”

As it turns out, this is not true.  Hopefully AudioAdvisor will be sending out a correction.  This is coming straight from AQ.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,357 of 2,514
The 1.1 change was made very early on and didn't have anything to do with the leather case.  

Wasn't the difference between the 1.0 and the 1.1 the 64 steps vs 60 step of attenuation respectively?

My DF came in a leather pouch, but still has volume at 0 ( OS Volume). I don't think the cloth sac vs pouch is a good determination of revision.

Do we have an accurate way to lookup our version?

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,358 of 2,514
Other than open it up and look the main board? :p
Well i had a problem with the first unit, (1st batch, string pouch), also the "DragonFly" text on it was dark / barely see able.
On the unit i got in exchange, the DragonFly text is in white. and it came with a leather sleeve.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,362 of 2,514
  This dac has come right down in price now that it dropped a star from what hifi(now with4 stars)..time to bag myself a bargain for christmas..anyone heard this dac with the AKG550's?

I use my DragonFly with K550 all the time, it's great. Without amp have to keep the volume as low as 2-8 /100 on the windows. But i think i prefer it straight from DragonFly, rather than trough my Arrow 3G, witch i use with SE535.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,363 of 2,514
  I use my DragonFly with K550 all the time, it's great. Without amp have to keep the volume as low as 2-8 /100 on the windows. But i think i prefer it straight from DragonFly, rather than trough my Arrow 3G, witch i use with SE535.

Thanks mate, both are at a very nice price from today at my local hifi store..grab myself a bargain for Christmas!..USB DAC/Headphone Amp
showimage.php

"All hail hi-fi's newest superstar." What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision magazine. A SOUND UPGRADE FOR...
Read More
TSP: £169.95
SAVE £80
£89.95

Hi-Fi Headphones
showimage.php

"Rousingly musical headphones with no obvious deficiencies" What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision magazine....
Read More
TSP: £179.95
SAVE £55
£124
3 great ways to buy

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,365 of 2,514
BTW you can check the version number of your DF on a Mac under "system information" app in the USB section under hardware. Click the DragonFly. Here's a 1.0c:

Should be possible in Windows or Linux (lsusb -v or something) but I don't have my desktop with me so I can't verify. 

I guess there was never a 1.1 since this one was bought very recently. 

There seems to be some revisions of the hardware:

- Dark DragonFly text (1.0?)
- Light DragonFly text (after 1.0?)
- Light DragonFly text + FCC logos in white on the bottom (1.0c+?)

Inclusion of leather pouch/cloth pouch doesn't seem to have any bearing on actual version number but it often corresponds because the cloth pouch was only shipped with early units... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back