AudioQuest caught in cable scam
Mar 7, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #211 of 231
What Bill Low said:

"Home Entertainment was contacted immediately, and was informed that there were legitimate questions about the veracity of the video. We asked that the video be taken down, and that we learn everything possible about the production of the video, and that AudioQuest be given the opportunity to analyze the video ourselves.

I think we all can agree, AQ were not as vigilant to ensure the video was legit from the get go, but probably forgot it existed as they have better things to do. Or take it any how you see fit, just don't consistently point out that he knew of the video a year ago and did nothing, yet casually ignore that he went after the store and the production house (with possible legal action) after the video was proved to be faked. And I wouln't be surprised if both parties sales have been reduced. I am sure AQ and others in the market space will be even more careful going forward.

I'm pretty sure people at BestBuy (who carry AQ via Magnolia) do more damage to unsuspecting "fools" insisting on an expensive HDMI cable to go along with their $3K TV purchase.

I just want to point out that it remains a fact that the video remained up for over a year after Bill heard it and  "found the audio difference unbelievable". Why should I not point out that he did nothing, that is the fact in the matter. You can claim he might have forgot or whatever.  It matters little what they did after the scientific community exposed the fake, what would you expect them to do or say? 
Again I would say to people to quit trying to deny or bend the truth. Accept it and move on to a position where something productive could come out of it.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #213 of 231
Isn't pointing to one or two sentences of what he said, rather than the entire statement bending the truth ?

Ridiculous misdirection, nothing else of any relevancy was posted.  :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #214 of 231
I don't blame AQ that much. Ok, sure they probably should have said something to the vendor. But seriously. How many slimy car dealers are pushing who the heck knows what lines about their cars on the lot. Is it ok if it's used car? You think GM central headquarters should really react if they hear that some independent salesman is telling a line? Yeah, probably they "should" but come on. I just don't get that bent out of shape over that. I don't know the relationship here. If it's like one of a couple primary sales outlets that serves effectively as the main voice for the company, that might be different. But I can't really expect companies to spend their time going after vendors trying to oversell their products unless it's pretty high profile. Yes they are in business to make money and feed their families. They aren't the morality police.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #215 of 231
I don't blame AQ that much. Ok, sure they probably should have said something to the vendor. But seriously. How many slimy car dealers are pushing who the heck knows what lines about their cars on the lot. Is it ok if it's used car? You think GM central headquarters should really react if they hear that some independent salesman is telling a line? Yeah, probably they "should" but come on. I just don't get that bent out of shape over that. I don't know the relationship here. If it's like one of a couple primary sales outlets that serves effectively as the main voice for the company, that might be different. But I can't really expect companies to spend their time going after vendors trying to oversell their products unless it's pretty high profile. Yes they are in business to make money and feed their families. They aren't the morality police.

I worked in the auto business for many years. Truth is our marketing and sales forces work the hardest to sell the worst products otherwise they'll sit on the showroom/lot forever. LOL

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #216 of 231
  I worked in the auto business for many years. Truth is our marketing and sales forces work the hardest to sell the worst products otherwise they'll sit on the showroom/lot forever. LOL

+1

I worked in the laser business for years and our salespeople worked hardest on our least strong products. The best ones sold themselves, and at whatever price we set.

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #218 of 231
  Thought's on the silver whiplash ciem cables? ^_^

Perhaps you should consider posting this question over on the Cables Power Tweaks Speakers Accessories (DBT Free Forum) section where such a question will not cause a flame war to erupt. Thanks!

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #219 of 231
  Perhaps you should consider posting this question over on the Cables Power Tweaks Speakers Accessories (DBT Free Forum) section where such a question will not cause a flame war to erupt. Thanks!

That would only get opinions from the subjective "sounds good" community and be censored of the objective facts on cable design.
But it would probably be deserving of a new thread of its own here. Before that why don't you watch this video from audioholics on interconnect cable design.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #220 of 231
  Thought's on the silver whiplash ciem cables? ^_^

That would only get opinions from the subjective "sounds good" community and be censored of the objective facts on cable design.
But it would probably be deserving of a new thread of its own here. Before that why don't you watch this video from audioholics on interconnect cable design.

Okay so I watched the video - a very nice and completely reasonable discussion of audio interconnects, free from audiophile magic, but I don't quite understand why you disagree with me that the original question about silver ciem cables should be posted to the (science free) Cables section. Sure posting in this will mean that the question might get a more science and engineering based answer but that answer almost surely would not be what poster might have expected.

With that in mind let me respond with a "typical" Sound Science answer:

What properties or advantages does using silver wire instead of copper wire offer when used for transmitting an analog audio signal from an amp to the drivers in the custom in-ear monitor? I say this because the answer that science and engineering principles give is that the only difference between silver and copper when used in ciem cables is cost.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #221 of 231

Okay so I watched the video - a very nice and completely reasonable discussion of audio interconnects, free from audiophile magic, but I don't quite understand why you disagree with me that the original question about silver ciem cables should be posted to the (science free) Cables section. Sure posting in this will mean that the question might get a more science and engineering based answer but that answer almost surely would not be what poster might have expected.

He did ask the question here and I believe he deserves a response that is free from voodoo opinions.
It is a shame that the cable forum is censored against any scientific information, but I could never send anyone there who came here looking for answers.
If iKE1985 wants to hear only one side of the story he is more than welcome to go there.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #222 of 231
  He did ask the question here and I believe he deserves a response that is free from voodoo opinions.
It is a shame that the cable forum is censored against any scientific information, but I could never send anyone there who came here looking for answers.
If iKE1985 wants to hear only one side of the story he is more than welcome to go there.

I fully understand your point and hope that iKE1985's question will get some reasonable responses but with an objective slant.

Here is yet another answer:

Are the silver whiplash ciem cables an upgrade to the in-ear monitors that can be easily reversed so that the original cables can be used again? Is there a trial period with a money back offer in case the cables are not to your liking? Is there a way to compare the sound of the iems with the original cable versus with the whiplash cables, since in the end all that matters is whether or not the whiplash cables sound good to iKE1985?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #223 of 231
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/mark-waldrep-audioquest-open-letter-editorial

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/audioquest-hdmi-audio-rigged-demo-exposed-and-addressed-in-open-letter.97696/#post-1116326

interesting thread...have subscribed....good to hear we're holding companies and their products (and claims) accountable.

hope it sends out a huge red flag to the many companies out there
not to mess us over with overzealous, unsubstantiated product claims.

sure we're all gungho to try the 'latest and greatest' to better our sound...but there are a lot of smart and technically savvy
people on these forums, too, who like to sift thru any voodoo science marketing and sniff out the BS, if there is any.

personally I like their dragonfly...and do intend to buy the new red/black updated versions when they come out this month.
...but as per their cables (which I was also considering) i'm not looking elsewhere until this blows over.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #224 of 231
It's possible to test these cables by going to a store and asking to demo them. I am not sure about digital cables and this week bought a used cheap optical cable. I am not ready to purchase an expensive digital yet until I am assured.

I am as already said in this thread an quality analogue cable fan. I have read all the excuses why they don't improve sound. However you can try audition them if you are genuinely curious. Remember though some expensive quality cables are reported rubbish and leave sound bass lean etc. Only go near recommended ones. I do and I reap the rewards.

You don't have to believe me on analogue cables. However I have reached the point now where I am unsubscibing this thread. Goodbye and good luck with whatever you do with your music. Go safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back