Audiophiles Anonymous
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 522

Ciggavelli

Headphoneus Supremus
Have you ever felt a need to continuously upgrade your setup, even though it’s already amazing?

Do you find yourself wanting to buy new headphones, even though the ones you have are TOTL?

Well, this thread is for you. We can discuss our addiction to upgrading our audiophile chain. Others can provide help when you feel the need for another sound quality “hit.” We can get through this together. A judgment free zone.

Shoutout to @ra990 for the idea.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 522
I’ll start. My name is Ciggavelli and I’m an audiophile addict. I feel the need to upgrade my DAC, even though the DAVE and M-scaler are perfectly fine. I want a new dac because I want something to perfectly match my WA33 EE JPS. I’m thinking of buying a Mola Mola Tambaqui. Help talk me down

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 522
You did it :drum:

Ok, so what are you thinking? Your DAVE and MScaler are already at the peak of digital to analog conversion! You're probably going to spend all this money, buy another DAC and plug it in only to find out that you don't hear much of a difference. At that point you'll do what we all do and forcefully convince yourself that what you're hearing is worth it, but deep down, you'll know the DAC portion of your chain was in no need for an improvement at all and you were just bored.

You have a WA33 tube amp, that's a beautiful amp and it should be fed a nice upscaled, hyper-detailed, signal to work with. If you end up going with another DAC that is supposed to be "more musical" or whatever, you might be overdoing it with the end result that you lose out on those details and sound stage that the M/DAVE are providing the WA33. My advice, stick to the MScaled/DAVE for at least a few months longer to make it your baseline sound in your brain. At the point you are almost sick of it, that's when you should think of changing something in your chain. And at that point, it may even be your headphones or another amp that catches your interest.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 522
Hi I'm ra990 and I'm an audiophile addict. I'm really tempted to add a more powerful amp to my system to drive the Susvara and Abyss. From what I've been reading, the Abyss is really at it's peak with the Formula S+Powerman and it's supposed to be great with the Susvara as well. The nimbus US4 amp is also receiving rave reviews and I can't help but think one of those might get the last bit of magic out of these headphones. Mind you, my last amp was a Pass XA25 speaker amp and after a few weeks with it, I was underwhelmed and didn't feel it added much on top of what I already got from the TT2, in fact I preferred the slightly leaner yet more accurate sound I was getting out of the TT2. The other thing with adding an amp is I then obsess over the interconnects and power cables involved - right now my system is running entirely of battery power and free from RF/EMI, that might be why I haven't experienced any listening fatigue and it's tough to pull me away from my music. That should be keeping me happy - a sign of a great system, I just don't want to stop listening, but still can't help but wonder how much better it can get. Damn this addiction.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 522
Hi I'm paradoxper and I'm an audiophile addict. I like the sound of my system perfectly now. I find my nervosa changes from a time. I previously chased the DIY T2 and 009 as a pinnacle. I was happy and then the real pursuit began; Into the ether of the world of 2 channels.
During the past year I found myself at home with company far more than I was ever accustomed -- and conveniently I fell back into Head-Fi.

Hi I'm paradoxper and I'm an audiophile addict. I feel I can stop at any time. I don't need the fix of the next upgrade, I choose it.

Hi I'm paradoxper and I'm an audiophile addict.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 522
OK, I'll play. I'm TD in Cali and I'm still coming to grips with calling myself an audiophile but...I have my Abyss 1266TC with X1 Audio Sagra dac, Broadway S amp and powerman. Love the system and want to replicate as best I can a "mobile" version. Currently running a Chord Hugo2 with Abyss Diana V2 or Focal Radiance. The Diana with the Hugo are 90% there but I want the last 10%... HELP ME!!!

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 522
On behalf of the man that sits on my left shoulder (and the sponsors of headfi):

1613573658940.gif

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 522
Okay, this could be fun. I'm slim1970 and I'm an audiophile addict :). I'm constantly feeling the need to better my system and try new headphones knowing that it'll be tough to best what I already have. Lately, I've been in the mood to try a new DAC. I really want to experience an R2R type DAC. High on my list are the Rockna Wavelight, Holo Audio May KTE, Sonnet Morpheus, and the XI Audio Sagra. The TT2/HMS is amazing on its own but paired with the Formula S and soon the Powerman the combo is next level. So why am I feeling the need to add another TOTL DAC?? It's maddening sometimes....

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 522
I’ll start. My name is Ciggavelli and I’m an audiophile addict. I feel the need to upgrade my DAC, even though the DAVE and M-scaler are perfectly fine. I want a new dac because I want something to perfectly match my WA33 EE JPS. I’m thinking of buying a Mola Mola Tambaqui. Help talk me down
Instead of buying a new DAC (perfectly replied to by ra990); You could upgrade your digital cables to WAVE Fidelity STORM BNC's (unless you already have them) as these were designed and built from the ground up specifically for the BLU MKII, DAVE and M Scaler !

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 522
Hi I'm ra990 and I'm an audiophile addict. I'm really tempted to add a more powerful amp to my system to drive the Susvara and Abyss. From what I've been reading, the Abyss is really at it's peak with the Formula S+Powerman and it's supposed to be great with the Susvara as well. The nimbus US4 amp is also receiving rave reviews and I can't help but think one of those might get the last bit of magic out of these headphones. Mind you, my last amp was a Pass XA25 speaker amp and after a few weeks with it, I was underwhelmed and didn't feel it added much on top of what I already got from the TT2, in fact I preferred the slightly leaner yet more accurate sound I was getting out of the TT2. The other thing with adding an amp is I then obsess over the interconnects and power cables involved - right now my system is running entirely of battery power and free from RF/EMI, that might be why I haven't experienced any listening fatigue and it's tough to pull me away from my music. That should be keeping me happy - a sign of a great system, I just don't want to stop listening, but still can't help but wonder how much better it can get. Damn this addiction.
Just go and buy Hifiman EF1000 (like I am going to do) and be done with it !

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 522
OK, I'll play. I'm TD in Cali and I'm still coming to grips with calling myself an audiophile but...I have my Abyss 1266TC with X1 Audio Sagra dac, Broadway S amp and powerman. Love the system and want to replicate as best I can a "mobile" version. Currently running a Chord Hugo2 with Abyss Diana V2 or Focal Radiance. The Diana with the Hugo are 90% there but I want the last 10%... HELP ME!!!
Naaaa....the Hugo 2 with Diana V2's is only 30% of the way there. Its only the start of the deep, dark, long path with a 1:10 upward climb !

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 522
Hi my name is Stefano and I consider myself an audiophile addict.

I am looking forward to receiving DAVE that I ordered in December and am already thinking about purchasing the Scaler.

I realize that this passion and attendance of the Forums can lead to wanting to make continuous changes, with the risk of downgrade.

So before buying a new product I try to read up and understand in which direction to move.

I don't like the idea of changing power supplies or adding filters or other accessories.

I also like to invest in cables but with the right moderation.

It's true that sometimes you don't even know what you want anymore.

But the purchase gives satisfaction and as long as it is possible I will go on!:L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 522

I was turn into mad when paired Diana V2 with Formula S combo. Make me thinking to upgrade my amp into Formula S rather than saving for Phi TC. I know headphone itself is the most important chain, but...

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 522

Just do it, the Mola Mola is awesome...

... oh wait, I've missed the point of the thread, haven't I?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 522
I was turn into mad when paired Diana V2 with Formula S combo. Make me thinking to upgrade my amp into Formula S rather than saving for Phi TC. I know headphone itself is the most important chain, but...
1B1B336E-7579-4D78-AC87-9839B0BFAB51.jpeg

Apparently I can’t even remember what amp I own...Broadway, Formula....whatever... 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back